Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewing the Halcyon lining of the Synapse/Synik?

I have a Synik 30 and totally love it, with the exception of a few small issues. One is the inside pocket (the pouch along the top lining of the main compartment). Every time I open the pack to slide something in the main compartment, it gets hung up on this pocket instead. I then have to open the pack further and move the flap aside.

What I want to do is secure the elastic opening to the upper liner so it doesn't open unless I want it to. I've emailed TB about modifying it but it's not something they do. I've attempted my usual go-to, an adhesive strip of Velcro, but the strength of the Velcro outperforms the adhesion of the strip to the Halcyon fabric. I've used fabric glues before in backpacks but they've never held well over time. So now I'm thinking about sewing.

Has anyone performed any kind of modification to their bag? Any tips or advice for sewing the inside lining?

Norway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never needed to modify any of my TB stuff, but I’ve altered some of my other bags and never regretted it. I’d suggest trying to sew on a magnetic clasp. If it doesn’t work as well as you’d like, it shouldn’t leave much of a mark if you remove it.

Something like this perhaps?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that you mention this, I just ordered some magnetic clasps and will be trying them out. Adhesive ones and then sew-on ones if the adhesive ones don't stick well enough.

in my perfect world this pocket would be zippered mesh, but if it's gonna stay elastic a magnet snap should be pretty functional for keeping it out of the way.