Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Decision holding up order. Help!

I need a new light weight, simple backpack.

I found when I hurt my ankle that I needed to have a pack to easily toss items in to carry up and down stairs Cheap Target one broke, so Tom Bihn to the rescue!

Iíve narrowed it down to A45 packing cube backpack in island or Daylight backpack in constellation.

Both beautiful colors.

Both simple backpacks.

Which is a better pack for tossing stuff in?

Which could later be used to carry stuff during travel?

Help!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Katsage , sounds like you want to use it primarily as a backpack and not as a packing cube. Thus, I would go for the Daylight Backpack because it has at least some basic interior organization and it feels more like a real backpack. I love the Packing Cube Backpacks for their versatility (I have the Tristar version) but to me the Daylight Backpack is certainly the better Backpack. But others might have different opinions and advice.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey.
    I have the A45 packing cube backpack and I use it mainly as a spare travel backpack. It disappears into the luggage and when you need something itís there. Only thing is that the material has zero structure and you really need to fill it up somehow or pack a jacket to give it some shape. Make sure you donít pack it with something with sharp edges as it digs into your back.
    Tip: on a hot day, the bottom compartment makes a good compartment for large mineral water bottles. Helps with the center of gravity too.

If I were you, Iíd go with the DLBP for a daily pack mainly because it will still stay looking like a backpack when you have just one small item inside.

Then again the A45 backpack is a genius design for packing small and when you just may need a backpack.

With all Tom Bihn stuff, best is to buy all!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the DLBP and all the versions of the packing cube backpacks and unfortunately they just don't work for me. I have an under 20" torso length so some are too tall and the straps of the DLBP don't fit me/stay on well (I often use the sternum straps on my packs - not to shift load, but to keep my straps in place).

So for my super-packable bring-anywwhere backpack I have an LL Bean adult sized Stowaway Day Pack... it's not the TB glorious build quality and attention to detail, but it hasn't fallen apart on me yet and they're not a bad company. It's like the TB packs in that there's no real structural padding, so you need to pay some attention to loading stuff in. It does have water bottle side pockets.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love, love, love my DLBP. So much. I haven't tried the other packing cube backpacks but I think the DLBP would work well for your needs. It's awesome.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with @bartleby and @dufffader that it sounds like you’d be better off with the Daylight Backpack. I recently answered @melminimalist ’s question in her Waist Strap for A45 Packing Cube Backpack thread by retrieving a lot of the older product page photos of the A45 Packing Cube Backpack (and linking to a 2013 version of the Product page). You can see from the photographs that the design of the A45 Packing Cube Backpack optimizes packing Cube functions: minimizing the weight, maximizing space for use in a packing environment, maximizing access to the contents by having the light zippers open all the way on three sides so that it is easy to open up, and to give the minimum weight and structural support that is needed for the contents.

This is a very good design if you don’t plan on carrying heavy items in backpack mode, but mainly plan to use this for items like jackets. You have the ability to put heavier items in the smaller bottom zippered pocket. Some people use the Packing Cube Backpack for A45 to hold gym/workout clothes and to put running shoes or other trainers in the bottom pocket.

By contrast, the Daylight Backpack is designed for more general backpack use. There are inside tiered pockets, so that everything you put inside doesn’t simply fall to the bottom of the bag and/or roll around, and the weight is distributed better for carrying. These supply more structural support, because the design doesn’t require the lightest possible weight for a Packing Cube. The zippers are not designed to unzip all the way down the side, so that you easily access all contents (but might also worry about things falling out if the default is for the zippers to open all the way down on the sides, or else use a bulkier zipper to prevent accidentally opening too far if the design is for full opening).

HTH

moriond

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another recommendation for DLBP. It’s not so suited for heavy carrying, but packs well (when empty) in other bags and is practical for carrying and organising reasonable kit for a day-out. It’s not most padded of backpacks, but fine for typical days out when not carrying it all the time. If not so heavily loaded, I often carry it when going from place-to-place just over one shoulder so not worrying about size/fit. Works well for me as a casual day-out bag and a good bag to have as a backup in another bag when holidaying.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your primary use case is ease of tossing things in when you go up and down stairs, I'd say Daylight Backpack as well - relatively wide opening, a little bit of organization, lower price range, as well as being very packable.

The A45 PCBP is also very packable, of course, but for me as a petite person, it doesn't stay on my shoulders well (I tie a bandana around the straps in lieu of a sternum strap) and it's a little too long for my torso. And very little internal organization. But, it opens very wide, so if you find yourself hauling odd-sized things (pillow? laundry?) then it might be better than the DLBP. (The premier TB thing-hauler would be the Smart Alec, IMO, but now it's only available secondhand. Which could be a good deal for your scenario - check eBay!)

If you're looking for a reason to buy a full-fledged backpack, I might also throw in the Luminary (15 is the only one on the site now, but you could probably still find a 12 on eBay, if you are on the shorter end of the spectrum) as an option. It's streamlined, great as an EDC or sightseeing daypack, reasonably packable. However, it's designed to be sleek and narrow, so not as great for the hauling-up&-down-stairs situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsage View Post
    I need a new light weight, simple backpack.

I found when I hurt my ankle that I needed to have a pack to easily toss items in to carry up and down stairs Cheap Target one broke, so Tom Bihn to the rescue!

Iíve narrowed it down to A45 packing cube backpack in island or Daylight backpack in constellation.

Both beautiful colors.

Both simple backpacks.

Which is a better pack for tossing stuff in?

Which could later be used to carry stuff during travel?

Help!!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    The premier TB thing-hauler
    That should be an actual product name!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_in_the_Hat
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Bay Area
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DLBP is one of my absolute favorite bags. I LOVE it...just saying.

eastern Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A packing cube backpack I have used a lot, especially on camping trips is the Tri-star/western flyer packing cube backpack. I like it because I can fit a Freudian slip inside it to hold my writing materials. The FS also gives it some structure. I owned a DLBP. Hated it. It didn’t accommodate the things I wanted to carry. I gave it to my granddaughter.
    You might want to look at the REI Flashpack 18. It’s unstructured. Can be used as a backpack or packing cube when turned inside out. Cinch top. I used one as my gym bag until the gym closed. It’s one of my favorite bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Decision made is . . . Daylight.

It just seems to be a better fit for travel backpack or daily hauling.