Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik Guide's Edition - Back Metal Panel

I have a synapse guide's pack and love it. Decided to upgrade to the synnik guide's pack and many of the bag features are great; however it seems like the back structure of the bag is lacking when comparing to the synapse with the back metal panel insert - has anyone else noticed this?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @maxse , and welcome to the forums!

I have both bags and I don‘t notice any difference in structure. Can you describe more specifically what you mean? Is it just the overall feel of the bag or did you notice a lack of structure while packing it or when you carry it?
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Synik comes with an internal frame insert and the Synapse doesn't - is that what you mean?

From the website:
    Fully Integrated Yet Removable Internal Frame w/Aluminum Half-Stay
    For the Synapse, we came up with a clever way to attach an internal frame to a bag that wasn’t originally designed to accommodate an optional internal frame.

With the Synik, that functionality is seamlessly built-in. Its removable internal frame slides in and out of the back panel through an opening at the top of the panel; you won’t see the frame itself unless you’re adding it or removing it. Some may initially wonder about the opening at the top in which the frame inserts — we did too and thoroughly tested this part of the design and could find no material concern.
    I mean, yes. Having an internal frame versus not having one is a highly noticeable difference (to me). For a smaller backpack (like the 19L Synapse) I don't want one and prefer the flexibility, but for a larger pack (like the 30L Synik) I probably would prefer the rigidity.
    Last edited by BowTrek; 07-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BowTrek View Post
    The Synik comes with an internal frame insert and the Synapse doesn't - is that what you mean?

From the website:

I mean, yes. Having an internal frame versus not having one is a highly noticeable difference (to me). For a smaller backpack (like the 19L Synapse) I don't want one and prefer the flexibility, but for a larger pack (like the 30L Synik) I probably would prefer the rigidity.
    To clarify I have an internal frame on both bags. If both bags are empty for example...I can easily bend the back of the Synik almost to the point where the bag is folded in half along the back side...the Synapse with the internal frame does not have any give and stays completely flat. I believe the difference is the metal bar at the center of the frame...it spans the entire back of the Synapse and on the Synik it covers maybe 70% and seems to be thinner.

I wonder if adding an internal frame would be possible.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxse View Post
    I can easily bend the back of the Synik almost to the point where the bag is folded in half along the back side...the Synapse with the internal frame does not have any give and stays completely flat. I believe the difference is the metal bar at the center of the frame...it spans the entire back of the Synapse and on the Synik it covers maybe 70% and seems to be thinner.
    Ok, now I see what you mean. Yes, the Synik has an "Aluminium Half-Stay" while the frames for the Synapse have a full stay. However, both frames are equally thick (.055” thick High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)). So the half-stay is the reason that you can bend the bag. Aside from bending: Did you notice any difference in functionality so far? Because my experience is that the frame in the Synik works just as well as in the Synapse (or even better because it is better integrated).

Quote Originally Posted by maxse View Post
    I wonder if adding an internal frame would be possible.
    The frame in the Synapse is fastened with the webbing (rail) loops for the Cache at the backpanel. Since the Synik lacks these loops at the backpanel you can't fasten the frame. The only workaround that came to my mind - and perhaps it doesn't make a lot of sense but I tried it anyway - is to put a Synapse 25 frame into the laptop compartment of the Synik. You have to use the internal zipper because the frame is too large to fit through the side zipper.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by bartleby; 07-29-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Aside from bending: Did you notice any difference in functionality so far? Because my experience is that the frame in the Synik works just as well as in the Synapse (or even better because it is better integrated).
    I did...the bag just doesn't have the same feel as the Synapse - the Synapse feels more solid when taking it on/off. Not sure how else to describe it - I would encourage the TB folks if reading this to offer an optional full-stay for the Synik - as of right now I went back to my Synapse and will probably save the Synik for weekend trips etc where I will mostly be using it with luggage.