Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like it depends? If I were fleeing floods, fire, or a tornado, I'd have to be prepared that I would never see my home or my things again. So everything has to fit into one bag. But for where I live right now, I prefer to have important documents in a fireproof safe. Hurricanes are typically forecast several days out and the big concern is losing power, possibly water. If that were the case I'd probably just relocate to a relative's house for a few days with some toiletries.

Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    That would be great, thanks. Smilie What got me thinking was that I realised that if someone were to tell me to evacuate my building right now I wouldn’t even have all my important papers together to take with me. That’s not a good feeling.

Forum Member
    St. Paul, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Insigne (Tom's new backpack design that he showed off in the FB group Zoom.)
    @Darcy Do you have a ballpark size on how big the Insigne will be in liters?
    Synapse 19 (Burnt orange/Steel) | Side Kick (Deep blue/Wasabi) | Side Effect (Nordic/Wasabi) | Travel Cubelet (Burnt orange/Northwest sky)

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeaAbe View Post
    @Darcy

Can you speak to the features and functionality of the Insigne without having to reveal anything visually?

I know certain bags like the Trinity have special features (like the unique zipper) which prevent you from saying too much, but I’d be thrilled to hear whatever information you are comfortably able to share about the new Insigne backpack (especially now that I wasn’t able to grab the last remaining GESN22!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And while we have your ear, @Darcy , is there any plan to bring back the large pouch size? Thanks for all of the info leaks ! It helps us compulsive planners !

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeaAbe View Post
    Not quite yet, we haven't measured it. I'd say it is similar-ish in size to the Synapse 19 or Daylight backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    @Darcy

Can you speak to the features and functionality of the Insigne without having to reveal anything visually?

I know certain bags like the Trinity have special features (like the unique zipper) which prevent you from saying too much, but I’d be thrilled to hear whatever information you are comfortably able to share about the new Insigne backpack (especially now that I wasn’t able to grab the last remaining GESN22!).
    Edgeless straps; flapped YKK Racquet Coil zippers with a C6 Durable Water Repellant (DWR) coating (these zip open/shut more easily than the Aquaguard yet still offer water resistance); will be available in a Guide's Edition and a non-Guide's Edition; has a very nice subtle and non-bulky padded laptop pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by labrain View Post
    And while we have your ear, @Darcy , is there any plan to bring back the large pouch size? Thanks for all of the info leaks ! It helps us compulsive planners !
    No ETA on when we'll make more Large Pouches, but we do have one Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon Pouch in Large left; emailus@tombihn.com if you'd like to order it!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Timing News?

Not quite yet, we haven't measured it. I'd say it is similar-ish in size to the Synapse 19 or Daylight backpack.

Edgeless straps; flapped YKK Racquet Coil zippers with a C6 Durable Water Repellant (DWR) coating (these zip open/shut more easily than the Aquaguard yet still offer water resistance); will be available in a Guide's Edition and a non-Guide's Edition; has a very nice subtle and non-bulky padded laptop pocket.

No ETA on when we'll make more Large Pouches, but we do have one Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon Pouch in Large left; emailus@tombihn.com if you'd like to order it!
    @Darcy

Thank you!

Assuming “Guide’s Edition” means exterior lash points, I’ll gladly be the first in line to preorder one (if you make that an available option).

After seeing how quickly inventory sold out this last Wednesday, I’d also like to be the first to request a preorder option for a Guide’s Edition Insigne.

Really excited for that pack!

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.
    I just noticed your signature! *flails* I can't wait!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be great if I could fit my largish 15" work laptop in the sleeve, and my sidekick in the front pouch.

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, so this is a distinctly new design, then? When Tom first showed it on the video he made it seem like this was going to be a guide edition version of the Daylight backpack, almost. Very cool to see that it'll be its own thing. From the sounds of it and from what we've seen, it seems to be kind of a middle ground between the Daylight Backpack (ultra minimalism, more of a daypack) and the Synapse 19 (fully kitted out, more EDC use). Can't wait to see it!
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

The far west
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming “Guide’s Edition” means exterior lash points, I’ll gladly be the first in line to preorder one (if you make that an available option).

After seeing how quickly inventory sold out this last Wednesday, I’d also like to be the first to request a preorder option for a Guide’s Edition Insigne.
    Yup, the Guide's Edition Insigne will have the accessory strap holders/lash points! We don't add those to non-Guide's Edition bags because we haven't found a suitable material that is black or grey.

Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    I just noticed your signature! *flails* I can't wait!
    Some of those materials didn't make the cut; two did though and I think one of them will be available in the Design Lab PCSB!

Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    Would be great if I could fit my largish 15" work laptop in the sleeve, and my sidekick in the front pouch.
    It'll fit the 16" MacBook Pro: does that help? And the front pocket is great / Side Kick *should* fit. More on that pocket below..

Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Interesting, so this is a distinctly new design, then? When Tom first showed it on the video he made it seem like this was going to be a guide edition version of the Daylight backpack, almost. Very cool to see that it'll be its own thing. From the sounds of it and from what we've seen, it seems to be kind of a middle ground between the Daylight Backpack (ultra minimalism, more of a daypack) and the Synapse 19 (fully kitted out, more EDC use). Can't wait to see it!
    I think that's a good description; somewhere between the Daylight and Synapse, but with the aesthetic of some of Tom's designs from the late 70's / early 80's that hang on the walls at our Seattle factory. One thing that changed is the front pocket: it's now a horizontal zipper, which we think is easier to use / take stuff like an iPad (or Side Effect/Kick!) in and out of.

See the light blue backpack in the top right corner? That's a pack Tom made in the late 70's or early 80's. The Insigne design is inspired by packs like that one, but with the benefit of all the years of design experience that Tom has gained since.

Any Timing News?-light-blue-pack-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, the Guide's Edition Insigne will have the accessory strap holders/lash points! We don't add those to non-Guide's Edition bags because we haven't found a suitable material that is black or grey.
    That's a randomly cool thing to know... that it's not just the coyote aesthetic driving things, but a question of availability too.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of those materials didn't make the cut; two did though and I think one of them will be available in the Design Lab PCSB!

It'll fit the 16" MacBook Pro: does that help? And the front pocket is great / Side Kick *should* fit. More on that pocket below..

I think that's a good description; somewhere between the Daylight and Synapse, but with the aesthetic of some of Tom's designs from the late 70's / early 80's that hang on the walls at our Seattle factory. One thing that changed is the front pocket: it's now a horizontal zipper, which we think is easier to use / take stuff like an iPad (or Side Effect/Kick!) in and out of.

See the light blue backpack in the top right corner? That's a pack Tom made in the late 70's or early 80's. The Insigne design is inspired by packs like that one, but with the benefit of all the years of design experience that Tom has gained since.

Any Timing News?-light-blue-pack-jpg
    @Darcy

What kind of hooks are those used to hang the bags on the showroom wall? Is there one you would recommend?

I’ve been on the lookout for one that is deep, wide and rounded enough so it doesn’t pinch or fold the hang loop fabric in such a way it could become deformed over time.

Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very hyped to see the Insigne. I love guide edition bags, but I'm also curious to see what the regular version is going to be lined with on the inside. It seems like there have been a lot more new color combinations in the past few months, hope to see that trend continue.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy

What kind of hooks are those used to hang the bags on the showroom wall? Is there one you would recommend?

I’ve been on the lookout for one that is deep, wide and rounded enough so it doesn’t pinch or fold the hang loop fabric in such a way it could become deformed over time.

If you can't find a hook you like, I've had luck with cutting short segments of pvc tubing to fit over the hook and keep the handles straighter.

The far west
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked those hooks up at Home Depot; they're kinda like these.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast