Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Getter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grocery Getter

I'm looking for a grocery getter - primarily by car. It seems like the the best options are the Truck and Monster Truck. I like that they partition the load so that everything doesn't get squashed in the middle.

From a size perspective, is the Truck large enough for a big haul; is the Monster Truck too unwieldy if filled?

Is there another option I should consider?

I'm thinking of gifting a couple, so I know I'd make due with whatever I chose, but looking for real life feedback. Also, use case may evolve but that's part of what makes TB so great.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends! Smilie

- How many groceries do you typically buy in one trip?

If you buy A LOT of groceries then I'd probably go with Shop Bags, as you can have multiples and even color-code them if you are so inclined (e.g. green for produce, red for meat, blue for frozen). If you just buy enough for a couple of meals, then a couple of Trucks would likely be more than enough.

(Shop Bags do allow you to stuff more things on top than Trucks, imo. But the Monster Truck does tend to have more lateral capacity.)

- Do you have a long way to walk to the car, or can you wheel your cart up to the car and then unload directly into the car?

If you have to walk a long way to the car, then I'd probably go with the Monster Truck as you can really load it up. If you can wheel the cart to the car then any of the TB totes will do - Monster Truck, Truck, Shop Bags.

- Will anyone else be riding in the car? Will groceries be next to them or in the back?

If I were going to the store with small kids, especially ones who still need a car seat, I'd probably go with Zip-Top Shop Bags. That way there's less chance that small items will go flying in the event of a sudden stop. Also, if I have to pile multiple purchases in the way back, the zipper keeps spills and loose items more contained.

For use down the line:

- Shop Bags are a little more packable/stuffable, if you want to take a tote along when you travel or commute.
    - Trucks (Monster/original flavor) are nice for easy access. I use mine for road trips, going to the gym (pre-pandemic), or hauling my work gear around the house if I want to work in a different spot for a change.
    Last edited by haraya; 10-05-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Original Shop Bags (discontinued) or the new Zip versions mostly. I also tend to use the Small size as I'm fairly short and if the Larges are loaded in such a way that they don't have flat-ish things on bottom, they jussst scrape the ground when I walk. I've also found that I prefer to have two small's vs one large to keep balanced when I walk to my car, up 3 flights to my apt, etc.

ETA: I should point out that I'm a household of one so I'm not buying large quantities at once.
    Last edited by G42; 10-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until the Trucks were introduced, I used the original shop bags as my primary grocery haulers. With the introduction of the Truck, I have used that extensively for groceries. In terms of manageability for weight, I prefer the Truck over the Monster Truck, unless I know I am getting lightweight bulky items, as it is easy to make the Monster Truck heavy.

In recent circumstances where many stores have not allowed the use of reusable bags, I often keep both in my car. When I get to my car, I then wipe down all of the groceries in my store bags and placed them after cleaning into the Truck or Monster Truck in my trunk. Then it is easy to efficiently unload into my house, particularly since I have stairs. You really can't go wrong with either, and they are handy for in car organization as well.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    St. Paul, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Zip Top shopping bag and a Truck and I far prefer the Truck for groceries. It keeps its shape while filling it with groceries and has just enough organization to separate out your veggies from your harder goods that might crush them. My wife and I can fit a week's worth of groceries in the Truck (though we are generally only picking up perishables, we're stocked up with staples.) We'll often not take a car and just fill the Truck as we walk and it works great for that. Floppy shopping bags just don't work as well for our style of shopping. I can't speak to the Monster Truck but I've been eyeing that as a possible upgrade.
    Synapse 19 (Burnt orange/Steel) | Side Kick (Deep blue/Wasabi) | Side Effect (Nordic/Wasabi) | Travel Cubelet (Burnt orange/Northwest sky)

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, even for a small grocery run, go with the Monster Truck. Ideally, 2 for larger hauls. Better to have more capacity than not enough.

I own 2 Monster Trucks, and 2 Small Zip Top Shop Bags.

The Monster Truck I have used for: 1.) groceries, 2.) beach gear, 3.) camping gear and 4.) vacation groceries and snacks. Itís good for everything. You can pack that bag full of soda cans and it doesnít buckle under the weight. I think my body would give out before that bag would.

The ZTSSB canít fit much more than my work items: Everyday Cubelet, reusable water bottle and a packed lunch (or one of my 3 curious pet cats). Donít get me wrong - Itís a great bag. Iíve even used them to pack a clean change of clothes and shoes in my car for the end of backpacking trips. But they donít hold much. A couple bags of chips, maybe three if youíre cramming them in there, would fill that bag completely.

But for groceries, go with the MT.

They make them in all sorts of colors. I have one in Coyote and one in Nebulous Grey.

If you decide on a Monster Truck, be sure to mind how Tom Bihn packs them into a square box when you open it - itís the easiest way to flat-pack the bag when itís not in use. A built in plastic stiffener in the bottom of the main compartment helps it keep its shape in and out of storage.

Hope that helps!

I donít have experience with the regular size Truck, and Iím sure others can speak as to whether or not thatís a good compromise on size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly use the Truck and Small Shop Bag for grocery shopping but I tend to shop frequently for fewer items (mostly fresh produce.) I am really short and I live in a multiunit building; the parking garage is not near my unit. The Monster Truck is perfect when I have a big haul of groceries or bulky items to carry. I don't find the Monster Truck too unwieldy when it's full of groceries.

It really depends on the gift recipients' shopping habits. Do they like to make frequent trips with smaller hauls or fewer trips with larger hauls?

Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Monster Trucks plus a Large Shop Bag usually handles a week's worth of groceries for my family of three. The Monster Truck's ratio of open space to divided space is perfect for me - I have a couple Trucks that I love for other purposes, but would be too confining to handle bulky groceries.

Hauling two fully-loaded Monster Trucks (and I pack them SOLIDLY, probably around 40lbs in each at some times) from the car to the house is a great farmer's carry alternative for anyone looking for a good core/shoulder exercise. Big Grin I'm in decent shape and it doesn't bother me, but it's something to consider if you're planning on gifting these to frailer folks or anyone with back/shoulder issues.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Synik 22/Smart Alec/Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a Large Original Shop Bag (no longer available) generally worked for me, one person, shopping at WF for a week. Those cashiers are pretty good at packing things to avoid any crushing of more delicate items.

However, a load that includes anything particularly heavy or unwieldy is better off in a Truck or Monster Truck. When I go to Target to buy, e.g., 2-liters of pop, the Truck is the clear winner. A gallon of milk, same. I have a Monster Truck but I only take it when I know I'm buying something bulky but LIGHT (e.g., TP), because a MT full-up of heavy groceries is a bear for an average woman to haul.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Also, if you're going in a car, a Truck or MT is a bit easier to manage than if you're on foot/doing other errands. A Shop Bag is less fussy to manage walking around/in stores and can be more easily crammed into your larger regular bag. With the Truck/MT, you're clearly carrying a SCHLEPPER.)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by setrombley View Post
    SCHLEPPER
    For whatever reason, that just cracked me up, thanks Big Grin
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I use the Original Shop Bags (discontinued) or the new Zip versions mostly. I also tend to use the Small size as I'm fairly short and if the Larges are loaded in such a way that they don't have flat-ish things on bottom, they jussst scrape the ground when I walk. I've also found that I prefer to have two small's vs one large to keep balanced when I walk to my car, up 3 flights to my apt, etc.

ETA: I should point out that I'm a household of one so I'm not buying large quantities at once.
    Just spotted: The Original Shop Bags are in production!!Heart Eyes

France
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    Well spotted. Unexpected good news. Iím regularly using a few original shop bags - but thought Iíd missed the chance to get a few more. Great to have a few at home, in the car and in office. Even a couple given away to family and friends.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They showed up a couple days ago - and now they're showing the NEW HALCYONS Smilie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    I will give them a try for sure!
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel Mini (Burnt Orange) Yeoman Duffel Small (Steel)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast