Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    St. Paul, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Production Update Hype

I just saw the new blog post detailing what we're going to see coming down the pike for the last bit of the year. Lots of great looking stuff!

We got the Truckasana, the Insigne and all 200 Halycon Side Effects being highlighted.

I have to say I'm really excited about the Insigne. I want this bag so bad. Wilderness/Coyote is beautiful:
    Production Update Hype-insigne-2-jpg

What all are you excited about? Anyone got plans for the Truckasana? I know there are fans of the Original Shopping Bags and those are coming back! @Darcy Are large and small coming back? I was unsure with how the post was written.

I'm going to be picking up some cubelets in various colors (Solaris, Sitka and Coyote to start).
    Synapse 19 (Burnt orange/Steel) | Side Kick (Deep blue/Wasabi) | Side Effect (Nordic/Wasabi) | Travel Cubelet (Burnt orange/Northwest sky)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also super excited for the Insigne, super classic design! Really want to see what features and such they have added. I am digging the guide's edition colors for sure, but definitely excited to see the Design Labs edition and what colorways they might have for that.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeaAbe View Post
    I just saw the new blog post detailing what we're going to see coming down the pike for the last bit of the year. Lots of great looking stuff!

We got the Truckasana, the Insigne and all 200 Halycon Side Effects being highlighted.

I have to say I'm really excited about the Insigne. I want this bag so bad. Wilderness/Coyote is beautiful:
    Production Update Hype-insigne-2-jpg

What all are you excited about? Anyone got plans for the Truckasana? I know there are fans of the Original Shopping Bags and those are coming back! @Darcy Are large and small coming back? I was unsure with how the post was written.

I'm going to be picking up some cubelets in various colors (Solaris, Sitka and Coyote to start).
    Both the Small and Large Original Shop Bags are in production. The Blog post was a response to a lot of questions and comments about new products that have been scattered all over the forums under different threads for some time, and covering many different topics.

For example, if you go to @Darcy 's 10-23-2020 post in the Grocery Getter thread you'll see:
    (sorry, if I quote that post anything that was previously inserted as a quote gets left out):
    Darcy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    Just spotted: The Original Shop Bags are in production!!Heart Eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    They showed up a couple days ago - and now they're showing the NEW HALCYONS Smilie
    Speaking of In Production and new Halcyons.....

==========
    … which indirectly points to the cubelets in new Halcyon colors. And @G42 updated the List - Small Shop Bag thread on that date, because she particularly misses and tracks the (original) small shop bag offerings.

Some hidden references were even sneakier: for example, Darcy changed her signature line to "Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags." (The original poster of this thread is probably aware of this, as a participant in the Any Timing News? thread discussions back in September, where this was noted, just after some discussion about the Insigne around 09-24-2020 - 09-25-2020).

The 200d Halcyon Side Effects were noted as being in production around October 14 or 15 (I'm also a mod over on Ravelry, and I posted about that there on 10/15 for someone who had been looking forward to getting it in Sitka, but I think that was a day after it showed up).

For some items, (Trucksana, the Insigne), there have been a few scattered recent posts, but the designs were initially mentioned back when Tom did a zoom session about his plans in the works. You can find the reference in Darcy's 06-03-2020 post [#63] in the We're back to shipping orders for bags! thread

I'll excerpt the relevant section (again, can't quote this without losing quoted contents):

Darcy:
    Quote Originally Posted by father_dawg View Post
    I guess I missed this [the new daypack design Tom showed off on the FB group Zoom call]. What was the bag like? Any screen grabs?
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    I'm looking forward to that pack! I've been hunting for something like it that fits and is well made to replace a similar bag that's finally wearing out.
    Here's where Tom starts talking about the new pack in the FB group Zoom.

=============

That section of the video shows the early version of the Insigne that Tom was talking about, before they gave it a name.

As I said, the references to all the products, questions, etc. are all over the place on the forums.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-09-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy , How do you say Insigne? I looked it up and all the hits are an Italian soccer player. In French itíd be something like ďen seen yuhĒ
    Iím totally excited for it!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small Original Shop Bags *and* Large Original Shop Bags will be available for order soon. I know everyone is waiting very patiently for the details about what will be available for order and when for the holidays: my hope is to share that update no later than 11/28. In the meantime, here's a photo to tide us over...

Production Update Hype-tom_bihn_shop_bag-1055_websize-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    @Darcy , How do you say Insigne? I looked it up and all the hits are an Italian soccer player. In French it’d be something like “en seen yuh”
    I’m totally excited for it!
    Good question. We pronounce it in-sig-nee.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Small Original Shop Bags *and* Large Original Shop Bags will be available for order soon. I know everyone is waiting very patiently for the details about what will be available for order and when for the holidays: my hope is to share that update no later than 11/28. In the meantime, here's a photo to tide us over...

@Darcy , the shop bags look great! I am very excited to have an opportunity to get original shop bags in the limited edition colors; that is, if I am lucky enough to snag them on release day. I echo some of the concern recently expressed by @theswiftbiker and @Chicagoan regarding product selling out immediately. Iíve participated in the feeding frenzy of many new release days and at the time I thought the stress of only having 5 minutes to check out was stressful, but that was nothing compared to the stress of release days now. I would much rather do preorders and wait for the product but be assured that I will get it rather than to get my hopes up that I have secured a much wanted item only to be disappointed when I go to check out and that item has disappeared from my cart. Is there any way to go back to a system where an item is safe for X amount of minutes while you check out?
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

The far west
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @Darcy , the shop bags look great! I am very excited to have an opportunity to get original shop bags in the limited edition colors; that is, if I am lucky enough to snag them on release day. I echo some of the concern recently expressed by @theswiftbiker and @Chicagoan regarding product selling out immediately. I’ve participated in the feeding frenzy of many new release days and at the time I thought the stress of only having 5 minutes to check out was stressful, but that was nothing compared to the stress of release days now. I would much rather do preorders and wait for the product but be assured that I will get it rather than to get my hopes up that I have secured a much wanted item only to be disappointed when I go to check out and that item has disappeared from my cart. Is there any way to go back to a system where an item is safe for X amount of minutes while you check out?
    I hear you @pammy and the last thing we want to do is add stress.

Our shopping cart doesn't allow us to modify the amount of time items are held in the basket. The "industry standard" is to not hold items in the basket because a lot of people add items to their basket but never checkout. That even happens during debuts. So, if we could change the cart to work that way, the bags might sell out even faster, but wouldn't actually be sold out 'cause they'd be stuck in limbo in carts; they'd appear some time later as in-stock again, and probably sell out again quickly, so it might just be a different kind of stress.

And in this case, offering these bags as pre-orders wouldn't help: the number of bags we're sewing right now are the production quantity that we currently have the capacity to make. So, whether they're already made bags or pre-order bags, they'd sell out (or not) at the same speed. We don't typically offer pre-orders around the holidays given the importance of receive bags in a timely way. We're still making both masks and bags, so that factors in here, as does our various safety measures (which of course come first but can reduce efficiency.) We do hope to offer pre-orders again next year!

The good news is that we'll be able to make additional production runs of all of these bags in early-mid 2021. *Maybe* as pre-orders, depending on the state of things. So, even if they do sell out, there will be another chance to order them.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is that we'll be able to make additional production runs of all of these bags in early-mid 2021. *Maybe* as pre-orders, depending on the state of things. So, even if they do sell out, there will be another chance to order them.
    That's good to know since we never know if a colour or combo is going to be a one-off or not and most folks need to prioritize what to order.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you @pammy and the last thing we want to do is add stress.

Our shopping cart doesn't allow us to modify the amount of time items are held in the basket. The "industry standard" is to not hold items in the basket because a lot of people add items to their basket but never checkout. That even happens during debuts. So, if we could change the cart to work that way, the bags might sell out even faster, but wouldn't actually be sold out 'cause they'd be stuck in limbo in carts; they'd appear some time later as in-stock again, and probably sell out again quickly, so it might just be a different kind of stress.

And in this case, offering these bags as pre-orders wouldn't help: the number of bags we're sewing right now are the production quantity that we currently have the capacity to make. So, whether they're already made bags or pre-order bags, they'd sell out (or not) at the same speed. We don't typically offer pre-orders around the holidays given the importance of receive bags in a timely way. We're still making both masks and bags, so that factors in here, as does our various safety measures (which of course come first but can reduce efficiency.) We do hope to offer pre-orders again next year!

@Darcy , thank you for your reply. Itís reassuring to know that if I am unable to order my items of choice on debut day, I can get them in another production run. Looking forward to seeing what will be debuting in the limited edition colors. Debut days are always so exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That's good to know since we never know if a colour or combo is going to be a one-off or not and most folks need to prioritize what to order.
    +1. Totally agree with this. It's important to know this type of info because you need a strategy for debut day shopping.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you at least split the introductory inventory 50/50 to allow two shopping windows, more agreeable to folks on different work schedules or in different time zones?

If itís another free-for-all debut, I donít think Iíll be participating just to spare myself the stress and disappointment.

Last time I had the item page open, refreshed it right when the inventory became available for sale, went to checkout without buying any other items, and someone still bought the item out from under my single-item shopping cart.

Itís frustrating knowing that even with availability and due diligence, you can wind up empty-handed because of something as simple as a slightly slower internet connection.

Thereís a lot I like about Tom Bihn, and very little I donít, but this falls under the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    : my hope is to share that update no later than 11/28.
    Is that a hint when the next debut day will be as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    Can you at least split the introductory inventory 50/50 to allow two shopping windows, more agreeable to folks on different work schedules or in different time zones?
    I prefer a split inventory as well. The release time is approximately 2am in Australia so I’m no chance.

The far west
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I posted this to this thread earlier:

"It's a good idea and we did try doing that with a couple of debuts. However, it made the bags sell out even more quickly because the inventory was split in half, and overall that seemed to be even more frustrating to some folks."

Then I thought about it and it might've just been a few folks that were frustrated and that the split times might actually work better for more people. So, that's what we're going to do: see here for the full update.

And definitely let us know what works for you guys about this debut and what doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Is that a hint when the next debut day will be as well?
    Yes! 11/30. See here for the full update.

Quote Originally Posted by loz33k View Post
    I prefer a split inventory as well. The release time is approximately 2am in Australia so I’m no chance.
    Hoping the 1/2 of the debut at 1:00pm PT (so closer to morning your time) will work for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping the 1/2 of the debut at 1:00pm PT (so closer to morning your time) will work for you!
    Thank you!!!