Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird issue with Synik straps (too slippery?)

So I thought this was just a fluke when it first happened but now, out of only 3-4 times using this bag, I've lost my hold and dropped it on the floor twice (one in a particularly comical airborne fashion where I tried to catch it and ended up punting it a few feet away, lol).

Anyone else have this happen and/or have any suggestions for adding some grip to the straps--ideally in an impermanant way to preserve resale value? I've never dealt with this with a backpack before.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Surrealle; 12-18-2020 at 06:56 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is really weird! I asked the customer service crew if they've heard of this happening before (and if there were any resulting solutions offered) but this is the first.

Just to make sure I understand, are you experiencing this when you're taking the pack off, but you aren't gripping the strap with your hand?
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I just tried to recreate the issue (of course I couldn’t make myself drop it, but I think I have a better sense of what’s happening). Either when putting it on or taking it off, it’s slipping off my shoulder unexpectedly and I can’t catch it fast enough. I’m petite so maybe my shoulders aren’t broad enough to make it more secure? And while I love the edgeless straps, they are quite smooth all the way around whereas most backpacks have seams or a rougher material (including the previous TB strap version).

Anyways, I figured it wasn’t a common thing, and I suspect I’ll eventually adapt to the issue and hopefully it will become less common over time. While I appreciate your looking into it, my intent isn’t to lodge this as a complaint that you guys have to worry about (unless other people are struggling with it too, I guess). I was just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a sleeve wrap that might add grip. I know tacky glue is an option but for obvious reasons I want to leave that as a last resort.
    Last edited by Surrealle; 12-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get a new coat recently?
    One or two of mine seem to be made of slippery fabric and shop bags tend to slide off if I'm only carrying light items.
    Wondering whether something similar might be going on with you?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Omaha, NE
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I was wearing a coat the first time it happened (over the summer) but I wouldn't be surprised if the fleece jacket I was wearing yesterday contributed to the issue.

The bag definitely isn't light though, heh. It might be a combination of being heavy but also relatively small (it's the S22) so it's harder for me to catch on the way down. Either way, it's obviously not a defect of the bag, just an issue I'm having with how slick the straps are compared to other bags.
    Last edited by Surrealle; 12-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.