Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    On a more important note, why are the M/L masks always in the boring grays or blacks, while the S/M masks get the pretty blues and other colors? I may be a guy, but I don't necessarily want to look like Darth Vader. Wink
    Seconded. Pacific blue looks and sounds like a color I'd really love, but there's no way that small/medium would cover my huge noggin!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    On a more important note, why are the M/L masks always in the boring grays or blacks, while the S/M masks get the pretty blues and other colors? I may be a guy, but I don't necessarily want to look like Darth Vader. Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Seconded. Pacific blue looks and sounds like a color I'd really love, but there's no way that small/medium would cover my huge noggin!
    We do expect to offer more V6 Mask color options in the next few months, so stay tuned for that.

It's personally our favorite mask design so far (I find mine to be very breathable and comfortable) and we're hearing that from other folks as well. So, yes, I agree: more colors would be better Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We do expect to offer more V6 Mask color options in the next few months, so stay tuned for that.
    And contrasting/different colors for the interior/ exterior fabrics - pretty please?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    And contrasting/different colors for the interior/ exterior fabrics - pretty please?
    Could be! I asked Nik about that idea and we think it might be possible in the future.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started wearing V6 today. I have versions 1, 2 and 3. I mostly wear versionss 2 and 3 because I like the neck band. V6 seems huge but........it's easy to breathe in and most importantly it doesn't fog up my glasses as much as the other two. This mostly happened in the cold weather.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To update my feedback about my V6 masks post #19 on this thread:

I wore one of them yesterday and today for paddling. Yesterday was a group kayak in the open sea. After we launch and are out in the open sea, we generally take our masks off. We wear our masks when we are within hearing distance or 6 feet of a fellow paddler.

My V6 mask was very comfortable - I forgot to take it off. So I ended up wearing it for the whole 1.5 hours.

When I got home, I hand washed ALL clothes + V6 mask worn for paddling. Dried them out under the sun. The V6 mask was bone dry when I checked 2 hours later.

Today, I wore the same V6 mask I wore yesterday BUT without the nose stiffener. I took it out yesterday when I washed the mask and forgot to put it back.

Todayís paddling session is 1.5 hours on a dragon boat - 8 paddlers + 1 steer per canoe. Training session includes warm up paddle, technique drills, 12-minute piece, (2) 6-minute pieces, and race start drills. The pieces after the warm-up + technique drills are high- and low- intensity of continues padding. I had no trouble breathing wearing my V6 mask.

Yesterday and today, I wore my sunglasses and they did not fog up, as long as I had the bottom edge of my sunglasses positioned below the black nose strip of my mask.

It does get hot. So will other masks. The sport I bought earlier for padding is described as ďchills when wetĒ but it gets hot from my sweat/breath condensation (and it is ill-fitting on me; I wear it upside down for better fit) from my experience.

So I found a mask that I can use for paddling. It stays put, sunglasses do not fog and I can breath through reasonably. Thank you very much, TB crew.

Correction: on post 19, I wrote that I have V2. I am wrong! I do not have V2. I have the V1 s/m navy; V1 m/l black; V3 s/m light blue/olive and now three V6 s/m pacific blue. I am glad that I ordered three of the V6 - one to wear; one spare; one worn/washed/waiting to dry.

I plan to buy a few more when they are produced in other colors. I think that we will be wearing masks longer than we think. Even with the vaccine rollout. I would be VERY happy to be proven wrong!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the nose bridge pieces longer on the V6 pattern than others? With the fold, the sealed edges are scratching under my eyes and it's uncomfortable. The three V4 masks I have seem to have shorter black strips, so they don't push against my skin.
    (I know those pieces are probably not kept to a strict QA size because they're not cut fabric, but the S/M size masks have to be washed and dried on hot a few times to fit me and a shorter strip to hold the metal piece makes a big difference in the comfort and seal of the masks. I use a metal piece shorter than the provided one so it just covers my nose and doesn't need to be flared against the flat part under my eyes.)

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in awhile. I just placed my V6 order, with head strap. I made my own cloth masks early on (I'm in NYC and I've been here since the beginning of the pandemic), but it is time for a mask upgrade, beyond my own sewing skill set. @Darcy Would you happen to have a picture of the spunbond polypropylene used in the V6? I've read descriptions of it as a material similar to food-grade reusable grocery totes. Please stay safe, everyone!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    Are the nose bridge pieces longer on the V6 pattern than others? With the fold, the sealed edges are scratching under my eyes and it's uncomfortable. The three V4 masks I have seem to have shorter black strips, so they don't push against my skin.
    (I know those pieces are probably not kept to a strict QA size because they're not cut fabric, but the S/M size masks have to be washed and dried on hot a few times to fit me and a shorter strip to hold the metal piece makes a big difference in the comfort and seal of the masks. I use a metal piece shorter than the provided one so it just covers my nose and doesn't need to be flared against the flat part under my eyes.)
    Do you have the black nose piece facing away from your skin or touching your skin?
    Just in case - check out the product page and video again - that section should not be touching your skin.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Do you have the black nose piece facing away from your skin or touching your skin?
    Just in case - check out the product page and video again - that section should not be touching your skin.
    Yes, the black nose piece is on the outside of the mask, but with the fold on the top of the mask and the width of my face, the ends of that piece are against my skin, not the inner part of the folded fabric (still on the outside of the mask, not the inside).

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the black nose piece is on the outside of the mask, but with the fold on the top of the mask and the width of my face, the ends of that piece are against my skin, not the inner part of the folded fabric (still on the outside of the mask, not the inside).
    If you're willing, take a pic....if not you wearing it, maybe just show how it's folded... it would help to see if anything is weird on that particular mask
    Last edited by G42; 01-25-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this might be whatís happening with me too. Iím finding that thereís a slight gap on one side of my nose because the metal piece isnít quite snug, and then on the other side the black fabric is rubbing against the bottom of my eye a bit. Iíll try a shorter metal piece and see what happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If you're willing, take a pic....if not you wearing it, maybe just show how it's folded... it would help to see if anything is weird on that particular mask

These are the best I can do; for some reason I canít get the right angles today. I drew arrows where the black nose strip touches my skin.

It might just be that the individual mask I got has a longer piece than any of the V4s that I have do.
    Or that I need to stick with the V3s which fit nicely once I shrink them, but arenít this shaped anymore (the first one when new). Iíve lightly ironed the chin part of a V3 to keep the structure a little bit longer.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the best I can do; for some reason I can’t get the right angles today. I drew arrows where the black nose strip touches my skin.

It might just be that the individual mask I got has a longer piece than any of the V4s that I have do.
    Or that I need to stick with the V3s which fit nicely once I shrink them, but aren’t this shaped anymore (the first one when new). I’ve lightly ironed the chin part of a V3 to keep the structure a little bit longer.
    Hmmm...your mask looks like the 3 I have - so I don't think it's the length of the tape per say, but how it's folding for you. @Darcy may have thoughts on this to help too

The black tape shouldn't be touching your face - so that edge you pointed out should be angled away a bit more from your skin, by the fold in front of it.

Not sure if these photos will help, but I put on the mask, formed it to my face, and took it off preserving the folds... this mask has a Peet's coffee tie in the tape but one of my others still has the metal strip that TB uses because that mask's tape pocket was sewn a tad too tight. I prefer the Peet's ties because they're wider and I think maintain their shape longer, but it's not a huge difference.

In any case, you can see that the black tape is facing away from the inside of the mask.

Coming soon! Six-layer V6 Face Mask-pxl_20210127_154038373-jpeg

Coming soon! Six-layer V6 Face Mask-pxl_20210127_154012997-jpeg

Other than trying another V6 just to see if it's a tiny variable, perhaps you could try using a coffee bag tie or more of the TB metal strips to make the shaping more secure, twist those side sections away from your face a bit more, and see how that works.

Everyone's face is shaped differently, so if the slope below your eye to your check is just so - then maybe the edge will keep wanting to curl back on itself and annoy you regardless...

Another thing I find very useful is to make sure to slightly preform the nose piece over a finger before putting on the mask; then I put it on, shaping it to my nose, then my checks - ensuring the fold is right; then put the earloops on and tighten them.
    I find that if I have the earloops too tight before I fit the mask, it rides up too high. That's also my issue with the M/L sizes of the TB masks - they're ok if I wear them over another mask (like a surgical mask) but they're a touch too big for my face and ride up into the soft skin under my eyes otherwise.

HTH a bit

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that there are recommendations to double mask, I’m curious if people feel comfortable wearing the V6 on its own. I don’t think I could wear another mask under my V6, but I certainly could under my earlier version TB masks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast