Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming soon! Six-layer V6 Face Mask

See all the details on the V6 Mask page.

Our new six-layer V6 Mask is designed to increase the number layers while remaining breathable and comfortable to wear. Most folks whoíve tested this mask find it to be our most comfortable mask design yet. Made with 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Broadcloth and Spunbond Polypropylene and cut & sewn right here in Seattle.

Ships in January.

We'll also be debuting our new Mask Head Strap in January... more news on that one soon! It's designed to be compatible with all of our Face Mask designs ó and allows you to transform our face masks into dual-function masks that can secure behind the head or behind the ears. Itís a reusable, comfortable, and high-quality solution that wonít slip off.

Coming soon! Six-layer V6 Face Mask-tom-bihn-v6-six-layer-face-mask-1-jpg
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Our new six-layer V6 Mask is designed to increase the number layers while remaining breathable and comfortable to wear. Most folks whoíve tested this mask find it to be our most comfortable mask design yet. Made with 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Broadcloth and Spunbond Polypropylene and cut & sewn right here in Seattle.

Ships in January.

We'll also be debuting our new Mask Head Strap in January... more news on that one soon! It's designed to be compatible with all of our Face Mask designs ó and allows you to transform our face masks into dual-function masks that can secure behind the head or behind the ears. Itís a reusable, comfortable, and high-quality solution that wonít slip off.

Iím so delighted that you have announced the V6 because I want to talk about it! I have been washing and reusing the V6 for a couple of weeks now and I have to say, the V6 is my favorite because:

-It stays more rigid and therefore doesnít touch my mouth when I breathe in or talk.

-It does not get wet through from my breath condensing on a cold day.

-I donít feel like I need to shout as much as if Iím wearing some of the other designs (the twill for some reason dampens my voice more).

-Neck loop & adjustable ear loops. Always prefer that.

-Solid nose clip.

-Somehow doesnít make me as hot as the flannel one

Iím going to order at least one more V6 when I am able to. I prefer it.
    @Darcy can this mask be ironed at all? I am wondering if that would really help it to keep its shape after washing. It mostly does keep its shape but Iím just wondering if the inner layers would withstand it.

The far west
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I’m going to order at least one more V6 when I am able to. I prefer it.
    @Darcy can this mask be ironed at all? I am wondering if that would really help it to keep its shape after washing. It mostly does keep its shape but I’m just wondering if the inner layers would withstand it.
    Yay! I'm so glad it's working for you. Curious: how breathable do you find the V6 in comparison to the other versions?

Regarding ironing: I'd say no at this point. We do recommend following the CDC washing instructions of machine wash/machine dry. I bet you're doing this already, but I take my masks out of the dryer as soon as it stops, shape them, and then hang them up and that seems to keep wrinkles to a minimum and help the shape hold.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Darcy ,

The V6 certainly feels much more breathable! In my experience the V6 does not leave my face feeling damp as I walk outside. I remember wondering if the mask was on properly because it felt so nice to walk and breathe with it, and because I could hear myself talk. (It was on properly, I checked)

Thanks for the advice about (not) ironing. I will make sure to tug them into shape as soon as they come out of the wash.

Itís really some sort of magic to have a mask that is protective and yet more breathable. Thank you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Darcy ,

The V6 certainly feels much more breathable! In my experience the V6 does not leave my face feeling damp as I walk outside. I remember wondering if the mask was on properly because it felt so nice to walk and breathe with it, and because I could hear myself talk. (It was on properly, I checked)

Thanks for the advice about (not) ironing. I will make sure to tug them into shape as soon as they come out of the wash.

It’s really some sort of magic to have a mask that is protective and yet more breathable. Thank you.
    Cristina, can you explain a bit more HOW it's breathable? I have the first generation of Tom Bihn masks, and although I felt it quite comfortable, in fact MUCH more comfortable than other masks I'd tried, I ended up with massive headaches every time I wore it for more than 20 minutes (just like most other masks). (And no, I don't have any problem with the idea of masking!). I now wear an Outdoor Research mask, and no more headaches, but it's only 2 layers.

So if 2 layers are hard to breathe through, how is it possible with 6?
    Last edited by Izzy; 12-19-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -It does not get wet through from my breath condensing on a cold day.
    Could you comment on how cold it was? I’m having a lot more trouble with the masks these days now that it’s cold out, since they quickly feel damp and frozen against my face!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Cristina, can you explain a bit more HOW it's breathable? I have the first generation of Tom Bihn masks, and although I felt it quite comfortable, in fact MUCH more comfortable than other masks I'd tried, I ended up with massive headaches every time I wore it for more than 20 minutes (just like most other masks). (And no, I don't have any problem with the idea of masking!). I now wear an Outdoor Research mask, and no more headaches, but it's only 2 layers.

I have no idea how it works, sorry! @Darcy can you share anything about the development of the V6 and how you figured out how to make it more breathable with more inner layers?

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Could you comment on how cold it was? Iím having a lot more trouble with the masks these days now that itís cold out, since they quickly feel damp and frozen against my face!
    It has only gotten down to 37c here so far, which is cold enough to have your breath visibly condensing in the air, but I canít comment on how the mask performs in sub-freezing temps, sorry.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very eager to try the V6 once it becomes available, if the fit is the same as the V4, especially if it is also fairly breathable. To date my favorite versions are V1 and V4, as the nose seams are the most comfortable. For me V1 has the best close fit for my size small face, and it is also the most breathable for me in hot weather. That said, yesterday as I had to wait outside a shop while it was in the mid 30s, I was exceptionally grateful for the soft and warmer feeling V4 material in the cool weather. It sounds like the V6 could be a great all day indoor compromise if it does not fit larger.

Thanks for continuing to innovate through additional versions!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

Our new six-layer V6 Mask is designed to increase the number layers while remaining breathable and comfortable to wear. Most folks who’ve tested this mask find it to be our most comfortable mask design yet. Made with 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Broadcloth and Spunbond Polypropylene and cut & sewn right here in Seattle.

Ships in January.

We'll also be debuting our new Mask Head Strap in January... more news on that one soon! It's designed to be compatible with all of our Face Mask designs — and allows you to transform our face masks into dual-function masks that can secure behind the head or behind the ears. It’s a reusable, comfortable, and high-quality solution that won’t slip off.

Not really mask related, but I love the sunglasses! Any idea where they’re from?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the sunglasses are Warby Parker.

The far west
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I have no idea how it works, sorry! @Darcy can you share anything about the development of the V6 and how you figured out how to make it more breathable with more inner layers?

It's really all about the materials that are used. Some materials are easier to breathe through than others, and if they're significantly easier to breathe through, we can make a mask with more layers that's still breathable. The 100% GOTS Certified Organic Cotton Broadcloth and Spunbond Polypropylene are both very breathable materials.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do the V6 fabrics compare with the V1 and V4?

The V1 M/L has been thoroughly adopted by my husband. I am delighted.

I love the V1 M/L as well, I keep the older version in both sizes for myself. Being smaller, they are perfect backup masks to keep in my EDC,

The V4 has now its own Medium Yarn Stuff Sack for easy placing when washed and dried as well as quick retrieval, when I need to get out the door.

By the way, thank you for the invention of the Head Strap!

When will the V1 be back in stock or will you be using another design for the buy one/donate one program?

I just saw the mask donation pie charts and numbers, ginomous cyber hugs to you Darcy and the Crew.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-21-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston19 View Post
    I think the sunglasses are Warby Parker.
    @Winston19 , thank you!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance we can get a m/l mask in one of the blue colors one of these days? Seems like blue has only been offered in the smaller version so far. I'd really love a blue. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The v3 has been offered in dark blue. It is pretty nice looking.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast