Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early preview of the upcoming Paragon backpack

Sooo we’re working this weekend and I thought you all might want to see a sneak peek at the upcoming Paragon backpack design. It’s going to be offered as part of a large pre-order event in early February.

Design Lab Paragon
    Guide’s Edition Paragon

Note that the Paragon is considered limited edition at this time. That means we haven't yet decided if we'll offer the Paragon into the future: we're still catching up making bags after a year of making mostly masks, so we want to keep our production schedule flexible. We are also redoubling our efforts and putting on our thinking caps to do everything we can, when we can, to avoid selling out of stuff too quickly. We like what a customer named Stephen shared with us a couple of months ago: "Just make bags I can buy while sitting at the kitchen island with a hot cup of coffee."

Most recently, we spent 4-5 weeks making V6 Masks and Mask Head Straps to build inventory before they debuted. The Paragon will be offered for pre-order and if the first pre-order sells out quickly, we'll immediately offer a second pre-order with a slightly farther out ship date. We have some other ideas on how we can make ordering new stuff a more leisurely experience and we'll share those plans with you soon.

Note that the Paragon is considered limited edition at this time. That means we haven't yet decided if we'll offer the Paragon into the future: we're still catching up making bags after a year of making mostly masks, so we want to keep our production schedule flexible. That said, we are also doing everything we can, when we can, to avoid selling out of stuff too quickly. Most recently, we spent 4-5 weeks making as many V6 Masks and Mask Head Straps to build inventory before they debuted. The Paragon will be offered for pre-order and if the first pre-order sells out quickly, we'll immediately offer a second pre-order with a slightly farther out ship date. We have some other ideas on how we can make ordering new stuff a more leisurely experience and we'll share those plans with you soon.

And, yes, there is a new Halcyon color (offered in both 400d and 200d) listed amongst the options of the Design Lab Paragon. Taiga is comforting, rich without being deeply hued, and peaceful. It’s not bright, it doesn’t command attention, and it’s certainly not for everyone (but what of consequence and interest is for everyone, anyway?) It is quiet, strong, and won’t go out of style: it’s a color of nature. It’s something of a chameleon — the way it looks in a swatch is quite different than how it looks in a bag like the Paragon.

And and… Taiga won’t be the only new Halcyon color offered in the next big pre-order event Big Grin We’ll be revealing another new 200d Halcyon as well (though that one won't be available in the Paragon.)
    Last edited by Darcy; 01-16-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy! Lovely to get some a happy little shooting star of news during lockdown. Is the Paragon the same as the Insigne? The preview drawings are adorable.

I canít wait to see Taiga, your description is so intriguing. Also it makes me think of Taika Waititi.

Thanks for the ray of sunshine!

The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Thanks Darcy! Lovely to get some a happy little shooting star of news during lockdown. Is the Paragon the same as the Insigne? The preview drawings are adorable.

I can’t wait to see Taiga, your description is so intriguing. Also it makes me think of Taika Waititi.

Thanks for the ray of sunshine!
    Aha good question! Yes, the Paragon is the new name for the Insigne. Looking up Taika Waititi now!

We plan to offer more "coming soon" pages like this one. The next coming soon page will likely be for another vintage design reissue ("Le Grande Derriere", I kid you not!)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! You aren’t making it in Wilderness, after showing the previews in that color? Confused Of course I may be tempted by the Design Lab version anyway, but that just seems wrong...Wink

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Aha good question! Yes, the Paragon is the new name for the Insigne. Looking up Taika Waititi now!

We plan to offer more "coming soon" pages like this one. The next coming soon page will likely be for another vintage design reissue ("Le Grande Derriere", I kid you not!)
    I canít wait to see Le Grande DerriŤre, what a name! Early preview of the upcoming Paragon backpackEarly preview of the upcoming Paragon backpackEarly preview of the upcoming Paragon backpack

Taika Waititi is a film director from New Zealand. I have only seen his great film Hunt for the Wilderpeople, but he also directed Thor Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit and is somehow involved with The Mandalorian. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is about a foster child who is spectacularly ill-equipped for living in the wilderness of rural New Zealand, and yet that is where he ends up, and the (mis-)adventure unfolds from there. I recommend it.

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see the whole thing! How would you say its packability is? The Daylight backpack is often recommended as a daypack while traveling (does anyone remember traveling?) because it doesn't take up much room in a larger bag, however its lack of a laptop section is what's stopping me from getting one. Since the Paragon has a space for a laptop, do you think it could fill a similar role?

EDIT: Also, Taika Waititi is by far my favorite movie maker. Everything he touches turns to gold. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of my favorite movies, and What We Do In The Shadows made me cry laughing the first time I watched it (and the TV show is spectacular as well). I highly recommend every movie he's made.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “ And, yes, there is a new Halcyon color (offered in both 400d and 200d) listed amongst the options of the Design Lab Paragon. Taiga is comforting, rich without being deeply hued, and peaceful. It’s not bright, it doesn’t command attention, and it’s certainly not for everyone (but what of consequence and interest is for everyone, anyway?) It is quiet, strong, and won’t go out of style: it’s a color of nature. It’s something of a chameleon — the way it looks in a swatch is quite different than how it looks in a bag like the Paragon.”

I’m guessing blueish green:

Taiga (/ˈtaɪɡə/; Russian: тайга́, IPA: [tɐjˈɡa]; relates to Mongolic[1] and Turkic[2] languages), generally referred to in North America as boreal forest or snow forest, is a biome characterized by coniferous forests consisting mostly of pines, spruces, and larches.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    ď And, yes, there is a new Halcyon color (offered in both 400d and 200d) listed amongst the options of the Design Lab Paragon. Taiga is comforting, rich without being deeply hued, and peaceful. Itís not bright, it doesnít command attention, and itís certainly not for everyone (but what of consequence and interest is for everyone, anyway?) It is quiet, strong, and wonít go out of style: itís a color of nature. Itís something of a chameleon ó the way it looks in a swatch is quite different than how it looks in a bag like the Paragon.Ē

Iím guessing blueish green:

Taiga (/ˈtaɪɡə/; Russian: тайга́, IPA: [tɐjˈɡa]; relates to Mongolic[1] and Turkic[2] languages), generally referred to in North America as boreal forest or snow forest, is a biome characterized by coniferous forests consisting mostly of pines, spruces, and larches.
    I love all the green and/or arboreal colors TB have come out with lately!
    Last edited by Cristina; 01-16-2021 at 03:34 PM.

The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! You aren’t making it in Wilderness, after showing the previews in that color? Confused Of course I may be tempted by the Design Lab version anyway, but that just seems wrong...Wink
    It was so wrong it was a mistake! We are offering the Guide's Edition Paragon in Wilderness... adding that to the In Production options now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Can't wait to see the whole thing! How would you say its packability is? The Daylight backpack is often recommended as a daypack while traveling (does anyone remember traveling?) because it doesn't take up much room in a larger bag, however its lack of a laptop section is what's stopping me from getting one. Since the Paragon has a space for a laptop, do you think it could fill a similar role?

Because it has a padded back panel/padded laptop compartment, you wouldn't want to roll/fold the Paragon (might crease the foam) like you would the Daylight.

EDIT: Also, Taika Waititi is by far my favorite movie maker. Everything he touches turns to gold. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of my favorite movies, and What We Do In The Shadows made me cry laughing the first time I watched it (and the TV show is spectacular as well). I highly recommend every movie he's made.
    I haven't seen either of those movies! Thanks @Cristina and @Skirata44 now I know what I'm going to watch tonight.

“ And, yes, there is a new Halcyon color (offered in both 400d and 200d) listed amongst the options of the Design Lab Paragon. Taiga is comforting, rich without being deeply hued, and peaceful. It’s not bright, it doesn’t command attention, and it’s certainly not for everyone (but what of consequence and interest is for everyone, anyway?) It is quiet, strong, and won’t go out of style: it’s a color of nature. It’s something of a chameleon — the way it looks in a swatch is quite different than how it looks in a bag like the Paragon.”

I’m guessing blueish green:

Just reading the definition of taiga makes me happy, hehe. An alternate name we considered because it was very fitting but too long: Moonglow Lichen

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super cool to see the early previews!

And funny to read Tom punting: "If you’ve got questions about it, bug Darcy"
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    And funny to read Tom punting: "If you’ve got questions about it, bug Darcy"
    Smilie
    The man knows how to delegate, it's gotta be said.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exciting...Early preview of the upcoming Paragon backpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Germany
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy I saw that it also has the edgeless shoulder straps. Those don’t seem to work for me, the curves are incompatible with my body. Both the straps on the L12 and SG 23 didn’t fit right and were very uncomfortable. Are you planning to make all backpacks with the edgeless straps from now on?

Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Darcy

Is there a dedicated pocket or securement method for a water bottle?

There wasnít any mention of one in the product descriptions.

Are that many people looking for different styles of laptop backpacks? I know Iím not alone in that Iím strictly a tablet user who doesnít need the added cost or weight associated with a dedicated laptop compartment. Iíll be excited once a bag like the Trinity debuts and there is a move away from laptop backpacks.

Mostly, I just continue keeping my fingers crossed for TB to create a really great day hiking bag that can incorporate a place to keep a water bottle in place and upright, that also accommodates different widths and heights of bottles. The reusable water bottle I use most often is from Lululemon, and while it fits just fine in the tall interior volume of the L15, I canít fit it inside the water bottle pocket of my S19 and still be able to zip that compartment shut.

For awhile it seemed like the company was moving in the right direction, but once the Stowaway and L12 were retired, 2 of the only bags to have the stretch mesh water pocket were gone, and the only bag left with that feature was the L15 - a bag which I actually own 2 of because I love it so much and use it so often.

I was initially REALLY excited to hear about the GE version of the Paragon and thought that might finally be my new day hiking bag, but from what Iíve now seen and read, I think Iíll probably be sticking with my Luminary 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram!

@outside_chicago

@wright_in_the_midwest

The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    @Darcy I saw that it also has the edgeless shoulder straps. Those don’t seem to work for me, the curves are incompatible with my body. Both the straps on the L12 and SG 23 didn’t fit right and were very uncomfortable. Are you planning to make all backpacks with the edgeless straps from now on?
    I'm sorry the Edgeless straps don't work for you. Overall, the feedback we've gotten is that most folks prefer the Edgeless straps to others, so we do plan to make most backpacks with the Edgeless from now on.

There's a reallllly small backpack design Tom is working on (think along the lines of the Sprout) that might have different straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

Is there a dedicated pocket or securement method for a water bottle?

There wasn’t any mention of one in the product descriptions.
    No dedicated pocket for a water bottle. Once I get my hands on a Paragon, I'll stow my water bottle in the main compartment nestled between some other items.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast