Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New color question A30

Hi everyone!
    I was just wondering if anyone by chance knows if the Halcyon 400 / 200 Island combo for the A30 are new colors for this year or if itís a limited edition color available for a short period of time. Even though I have an A30 in burnt orange, I love this color combo and am contemplating New color question A30. Hope all
    Is well! Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkonthank1 View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I was just wondering if anyone by chance knows if the Halcyon 400 / 200 Island combo for the A30 are new colors for this year or if it’s a limited edition color available for a short period of time. Even though I have an A30 in burnt orange, I love this color combo and am contemplating New color question A30. Hope all
    Is well! Kevin
    Hi Kevin - I think you're referring to Original 400d halcyon - the black with white grid, correct?

The Original 400d halcyon/Island 200d halcyon is an existing colour combination (and one of my favorites) that has been in and out of A30 production - my current A30 is that combo.

@Darcy shared previously however that Original 400d halcyon is retiring as a fabric and we have seen it appear in fewer and fewer 'in production' listings. The pandemic has probably disrupted what the theoretical eventual run out was projected to be, but I would not assume that it will be made again.

As recently announced, there are both 200d and 400d halcyon versions of new colour Taiga coming soon for some items; perhaps the 400d will end up being used for the A30 at some point.

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @jkonthank1 ,

This is a “me, too” reply in agreement with @G42 . We’re assuming that you mean the Original 400d Halcyon/Island 200d Halcyon combo, because that’s the only one with those two colors in the current A30 listing. They did also make this bag in the (Newer, dark grid) 400d Halcyon with Island 200d interior, but at present the 400d Black Halcyon is only available with Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon in the interior.

I also have the A30 in this color combination. It was first offered for travel bags when Island was a limited edition color, but has remained popular.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcy et al. I would like to make a plea on behalf of Halcyon lovers everywhere. Can you please resurrect the original (and more recent) Nordic Halcyon, and continue the Original (black & white) Halcyon? These are by far and away the most elegant and sophisticated fabrics you make. I would pay a premium for a Synik and A45 in Nordic Halcyon. I'm sure I'm not alone.....and I'm one of your most loyal international customers!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @oncojeans , here is another fan of Nordic Halcyon who would love to see it return! I am happy to own a Daylight Backpack in that fabric/color and I use it a lot!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @bartleby . Your reviews were instrumental in my Tom Bihn Addiction Syndrome. I have an A30 in Nordic Halcyon - absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for your encouragement/enablement.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @jkonthank1 ,

This is a ďme, tooĒ reply in agreement with @G42 . Weíre assuming that you mean the Original 400d Halcyon/Island 200d Halcyon combo, because thatís the only one with those two colors in the current A30 listing. They did also make this bag in the (Newer, dark grid) 400d Halcyon with Island 200d interior, but at present the 400d Black Halcyon is only available with Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon in the interior.

I also have the A30 in this color combination. It was first offered for travel bags when Island was a limited edition color, but has remained popular.

HTH

moriond
    after I read @G42 comment I went into panic mode bc halcyon could become retired and bought the current color combo in the A30 of the black 400 halcyon and the island color. I am so glad I did. I would love to get an A45 Iím Halcyon but am too afraid Iíd be forced to check my bag by the airlines. Most of the planes here in western
    NY are regional jets. But I am so glad everyone here was so helpful and supportive with all the info! May you a pilot in halcyon is in my sight for the future?! New color question A30 I appreciate the enablement New color question A30

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after I read @G42 comment I went into panic mode bc halcyon could become retired and bought the current color combo in the A30 of the black 400 halcyon and the island color. I am so glad I did. I would love to get an A45 I’m Halcyon but am too afraid I’d be forced to check my bag by the airlines. Most of the planes here in western
    NY are regional jets. But I am so glad everyone here was so helpful and supportive with all the info! May you a pilot in halcyon is in my sight for the future?! New color question A30 I appreciate the enablement New color question A30

Hey, a fellow WNY'er! I'm from Buffalo.

Also, I have a Pilot in Halcyon and it's pretty fantastic. I use it as my tech/personal item bag while I'm traveling and it works great-I've never really felt like my laptop or anything else inside it was in danger at all. Plus, you can fit an HLT2 or a Nintendo Switch in the front pockets, and that's definitely a bonus for me. Definitely a nice bag, especially in conjunction with a bigger one like a Synik or Aeronaut for two-bag travel.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    after I read @G42 comment I went into panic mode bc halcyon could become retired and bought the current color combo in the A30 of the black 400 halcyon and the island color. I am so glad I did. I would love to get an A45 I’m Halcyon but am too afraid I’d be forced to check my bag by the airlines. Most of the planes here in western
    Hi @jkonthank1 ,

I was surprised at how fast your purchase of the Original Halcyon/Island Aeronaut 30 went. As I mentioned before, the very first offering of this color combination was when Island was a limited edition color, and the very first pictures of this Bag were posted by @Bijouxandbeads on 6-21-2015 (#476 in the It's June. It's quiet. Just sayin' thread). Here’s a sample of one picture from her posts (which also include a zest Passport pouch in the accessories)

ETA: If you read down from the linked post to one of her later posts in the same thread, you’ll see the Paracord cord pulls that she added to the zippers. Since Island wasn’t a srandard Halcyon color at the time, she had to source a color match. Island cord pulls weren’t offered by Tom BIHN until January 2017.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-09-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Hey, a fellow WNY'er! I'm from Buffalo.

Also, I have a Pilot in Halcyon and it's pretty fantastic. I use it as my tech/personal item bag while I'm traveling and it works great-I've never really felt like my laptop or anything else inside it was in danger at all. Plus, you can fit an HLT2 or a Nintendo Switch in the front pockets, and that's definitely a bonus for me. Definitely a nice bag, especially in conjunction with a bigger one like a Synik or Aeronaut for two-bag travel.
    Hello!!! Neighbor!! New color question A30
    Iím from Rochester!
    So glad to see someone on here who is from WNY! So cool! Do you ever use your pilot as an EDC bag?
    Or do you feel itís too big? cheers! Maybe could throw a packing. Iíve as well in the pilot? Idk decisions lol New color question A30. I have considered the co pilot as well but am not sure if it is too small.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m from Rochester!
    Not from there, but I spent 10 years in RaChaCha, at RIT and then Xerox Smilie

Long time ago... but I miss walking through downtown, all the festivals, staring at a lake that looks like an ocean, eating frozen custard, garbage plates, and good wings - and explaining just what 'lake effect snow' is EEK!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    St Andrews, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m from Rochester!
    So glad to see someone on here who is from WNY! So cool! Do you ever use your pilot as an EDC bag?
    Or do you feel it’s too big? cheers! Maybe could throw a packing. I’ve as well in the pilot? Idk decisions lol New color question A30. I have considered the co pilot as well but am not sure if it is too small.

I do use it from time to time as an EDC bag, yeah-I'm a grad student, so on "lighter" days when I only need my laptop and a notebook I'll use my Pilot. If I need to bring more books I'll use my Synapse 25 instead. I was kind of torn between the pilot and co-pilot, but I settled on the pilot mostly because it can hold my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post

Long time ago... but I miss walking through downtown, all the festivals, staring at a lake that looks like an ocean, eating frozen custard, garbage plates, and good wings - and explaining just what 'lake effect snow' is EEK!
    Heh, a few of my siblings went to RIT. I went to the University of Rochester myself, and yeah-I miss wings now that I'm hundreds of miles away from them. And I hear you about the lake effect snow explanation, my friends never believe me when I tell them stories about being snowed in while my work a mile away is completely clear.
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Pilot, HLT2

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post

The Ďlake effect Ď snow definitely keeps things interesting for sure lol. You just never know how the weather can change as you know lol! In the late 90s However the industry completely changed in the 2000s and I ended up working at Xerox for about 6 years in building 207.