Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Le Grande Derrière

    This hip pack is described in today’s newsletter (2/13/2021).

    Waiting for the promised additional details on the next newsletter “in a week or two.”

    I like this bag already, even with the scant details. Maybe @Darcy will thow us some more details? Like how many o-rings, how many pockets inside the main compartment.

    Smilie no pressure! But a woman can hope!
    Last edited by Walker; 02-13-2021 at 12:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member PaulT00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Share
    By the seaside, England
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering about dimensions... like, is it going to be big enough to hold e.g. an iPad?

    (I have hazy memories of the Buzz sling pack, which was big enough to hold a smallish laptop - a 13" MacBook - as I recall; LGD is aimed at being a hip/sling pack but probably won't be that large based on the information shown to date... dare we hope that, in light of the vintage reissues, a modernised take on the Buzz might break cover later this year?)
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

  3. #3
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,445
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick thing! If you're like, what?! because you didn't receive the email newsletter yet, it *will* be making its way to your inbox by the end of the day today. Long story short: we had to send it our over several hours so that it's less likely this newsletter and future newsletters will be routed into your junk folders.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    North Carolina
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I'm wondering about dimensions... like, is it going to be big enough to hold e.g. an iPad?
    I'm interested in the dimensions too; I hope it isn't too big for short waisted people. And my first thought when I saw this in the newsletter is how much I would love to have this in Wilderness.

  5. #5
    Forum Member jMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Share
    Texas. Needs coffee.
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the ode to the Cafe bag style with off-center buckle. Besides wearing as a hip pack, also mentioned was sling or on shoulder. I'd like to know if it could be worn as a crossbody bag too, like the side effect bag. I'm looking for an EDC bag and plan to order the Everyday Cubelet, but if this one is available first, I may grab it. I'd likely wear it for day hikes. Like, how many liters of granola can it hold? Forget liters as a unit of measure. Let's use number of granola bars. Wink

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,223
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has an attractive and very interesting design, it looks to me like the Everyday Cubelet met a mini Cafe Bag and added a Side Kick.

    But it could also be a Side Kick and a Small Cafe with a Daylight Briefcase.

    Maybe Tom could make two sizes, Le Grand Derriere and the Super Grand Derriere.

  7. #7
    Forum Member BigBadD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting and look forward to more revealing details. But from first look I’m not totally convinced it’s a bag for me, as it seems confused with both zip and buckle flap pockets, and a confused rather than a clean style exterior. Although it really depends on actual size/volume of bag and pockets? I wait to be convinced...

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Share
    California
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I preordered the SK to use as an EDC but boy this looks better. I'm guessing size wise this is closer to SK than SE. Buckle flap pocket looks like its sized for your average smartphone. Crossing my fingers that there's a zipper pocket on the back but unlikely because of the hip belt. Seeing the SCB in Black Halcyon/Wasabi on the product page, I now want the LGD in that exact combo. Super excited for more details!

  9. #9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,445
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    It has an attractive and very interesting design, it looks to me like the Everyday Cubelet met a mini Cafe Bag and added a Side Kick.

    But it could also be a Side Kick and a Small Cafe with a Daylight Briefcase.

    Maybe Tom could make two sizes, Le Grand Derriere and the Super Grand Derriere.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneysong View Post
    I preordered the SK to use as an EDC but boy this looks better. I'm guessing size wise this is closer to SK than SE. Buckle flap pocket looks like its sized for your average smartphone. Crossing my fingers that there's a zipper pocket on the back but unlikely because of the hip belt. Seeing the SCB in Black Halcyon/Wasabi on the product page, I now want the LGD in that exact combo. Super excited for more details!
    The LGD is big. I'm not the best visual estimater but I'd say the size of it is something like 3 Side Kicks worth of volume.

    There isn't an exterior back pocket; there is an interior open-top pocket against the back, in the main compartment.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

  10. #10
    Forum Member BigBadD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The LGD is big. I'm not the best visual estimater but I'd say the size of it is something like 3 Side Kicks worth of volume.

    There isn't an exterior back pocket; there is an interior open-top pocket against the back, in the main compartment.
    Thanks. That’s significantly larger than I was imagining...

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Share
    New Zealand
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Quick thing! If you're like, what?! because you didn't receive the email newsletter yet, it *will* be making its way to your inbox by the end of the day today. Long story short: we had to send it our over several hours so that it's less likely this newsletter and future newsletters will be routed into your junk folders.
    Should the newsletter have arrived by now? I haven't received it.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

  12. #12
    Forum Member sturbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering about dimensions..
    I'm guessing the webbing used on the buckle closure is 1". Based on nothing but eyeballing this 1" piece as a ruler of sorts, this would make the LGD in the neighborhood of 12" long and maybe 9 or so inches high. Large indeed.

    To me, the outside looks kind of busy and not the streamlined look that I go for with Tom Bihn products (I'd prefer just a zippered pocket only), but based on volume and price, I'm likely to get it anyways. I need a midsize bag- something larger than a Sidekick but smaller than a small shop bag or Pickup Truck with some structure (that the PCSB doesn't have) , and this could fill that niche.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Share
    California
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds perfect for PCSB owners who have been longing for more organization.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoneysong View Post
    Sounds perfect for PCSB owners who have been longing for more organization.
    @dmoneysong , I wondered about this! I have been asking for a PCSB with inside pockets like the SK for years.

    I can see requests to add option to attach a should strap and for a totally removable hip belt on V2 of the Le Grand Derrière bag. Smilie, just saying, @Darcy !

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really interested to see what this looks like worn as a sling. I’ve been looking for a sling for a while, tried a few but they weren’t right. I have been wishing for a TB one. Suuuper interested in this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •