Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPODA View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a challenge to issue to the community. I love my Daylight Briefcase, but I really want to have the option to wear it as a backpack. Shoulder strap carry is my least preferred method of carrying a bag. I would love to be able to hack my DLBC to convert a shoulder strap into a backpack strap. Several bag companies now do this, primarily with tote bags but Qwstion comes closest to what I’m looking for. I beg forgiveness for posting a link to another bag but I really want to use my TB bag is this way.

I welcome any thoughts and am standing at attention for Darcy’s correction if I violated a rule.
    Hi @SPODA !

First off: thanks for graciously acknowledging that the link you posted may or may not be breaking the rules. Giving us an opportunity to step in if that was the case = graciousness. Technically speaking, the link you posted doesn't violate our rules -- you're not asking us to make that bag, you're asking how you could modify your bag yourself to be able to carry it like a backpack.

I asked Nik if he had any ideas for you but he didn't. Wish we could be of more help!
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-23-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the older Brain Bag that is configured for annex clips/brain cells. The clips for the cache rails won't clip directly to the loops in here, but you can slip them through the loops and then connect both clips to the cache rails. This isn't perfect (it's obviously twice as much effort to remove/reattach the cache) but it gets the job done.
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_7649-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    I have the older Brain Bag that is configured for annex clips/brain cells. The clips for the cache rails won't clip directly to the loops in here, but you can slip them through the loops and then connect both clips to the cache rails. This isn't perfect (it's obviously twice as much effort to remove/reattach the cache) but it gets the job done.
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_7649-jpg
    I just wanted to give a general source for hacking the use of Annex Clip loops in older bags that Darcy gave in December 2017. I've cited it before in answers to questions, but it gets l'ost because it was in a thread that specifically asked about 13" vertical Brain Cells, and also got posted around Christmas time when relatively few folks were reading the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We experimented with various possibilities for those who want to clip a Cache in a bag that doesn't have rail loops but does have webbing for Annex Clips. And we came up with a few different solutions that we think work pretty well: one for bags that fit the Horizontal Cache and two for bags that fit the Vertical Cache (the spacing of the Cache rails differs between the horizontal and vertical versions, thus the two different solutions.)

Note: the following methods are a little difficult to describe in text, so see the very amateur video further below that we made.

How To Clip a Horizontal Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Wiggle one of the Gatekeeper Clips on your Gatekeeper Rail Clip so that it's vertical and slide it through the open loop of webbing meant for the Annex Clip. Then, wiggle the Gatekeeper Clip back to horizontal. This solution works well and looks almost as if it was intended to work this way.

How To Clip a Vertical Cache To Annex Loop Webbing

Option #1 Basically just clipping the Gatekeeper Rail Clip on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Though the basic functionality here works, the Gatekeeper Rail Clip will be twisted and it's not that elegant of a solution.

Option #2 If you have one of our backpacks, you probably also have a Gatekeeper Waist Strap. To use this hack, clip the Gatekeeper Clips of your Gatekeeper Waist Strap on the open loop of webbing meant for Annex Clips. Then, unclip the side release buckles of the Gatekeeper Waist Strap, and then reclip them over the rails of your Cache. It basically allows for a Cache with rails system -- without using Gatekeeper Rail Clips.

What we think is great about these hacks/solutions is that most people will be able to make them work without buying any additional parts or adapters.

Here's a quick iPhone video we made that demonstrates the options.

P.S. We do have a few Size 6Z Horizontal Brain Cells left, which would fit your 13" MBP, @ikomrad. If you'd like to order one: emailus@tombihn.com
    HTH

moriond

Lawrence, KS
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like this one Canonsue

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up a Maker's Bag recently, a couple of s-biners and you can hang it from the seatback pocket while you're on the plane:

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-photo-aug-14-22-05-52s-jpg

Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up a Maker's Bag recently, a couple of s-biners and you can hang it from the seatback pocket while you're on the plane:

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-photo-aug-14-22-05-52s-jpg
    I do the same trick with a side effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got tired of waiting for the 2017 forum gift to become a real product, so I just ordered some 20mm split rings from amazon.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_8828-jpg

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone might have posted this before (apologies if so), but I find that sometimes Id really like to have a small pocket easily accessible without taking off my backpack, for public transportation cards, my phone, etc. Enter the padded hip belt, a Travel Cubelet, and a couple of 1 triangular clips...

I sawed through the closed ring on the clips (carefully!) to put them on the webbing, though you can just thread the webbing through the clip part if you prefer.

Heres how I attached them (I hope you can see this well enough):

This also works well with a Cubelet:

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got tired of waiting for the 2017 forum gift to become a real product, so I just ordered some 20mm split rings from amazon.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_8828-jpg
    This is a great idea. The best of both worlds, a snaphook and ring option.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if this qualifies as a hack, but I just received my mini padded OP and decided to modify it a teensy bit to use as a case for my iPod Classic. When I ordered the OP, I thought Id be able to fit the audio jack in with the zipper was slightly open, but the iPod just fits, with no room for the audio jack. So I carefully measured, then cut a hole into the back of the pouch, where I hammered in a grommet. Now I can listen to my music keeping my iPod safe from dropping (which I am prone to do).Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-0eb55738-5706-42ca-8471-497b6e819574-jpegShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-44305533-91c8-4e96-bccd-3075f6df50e3-jpeg
    Last edited by Wanderlust77; 01-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharing a hack I discovered to add any bag that has a roller sleeve onto a Brompton Bike front rack.

Worked very well to add my Co-Pilot on a ride today.

Your Photos Are Needed

Last edited by aedifica; 02-23-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: update link
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard to see what hardware you used and where it was hooked up to the side effect.... the pictures are very dark and you know explanation.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Its hard to see what hardware you used and where it was hooked up to the side effect.... the pictures are very dark and you know explanation.
    Hi Trebor!

What post are you referring to? I am sure there will be no shortage of people willing to help with pics or information. We all love to help here!

If you would like to refer to or reply to a specific post, you can click on "quote" on the individual post and that will generate a reply with that post quoted. (It may say "reply" in each post on other browsers/apps). If you press reply at the bottom of the thread, a blank reply opens. You can also refer to individual people by using a Twitter-style @, like @Trebor .

I hope this helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hi Trebor!

What post are you referring to? I am sure there will be no shortage of people willing to help with pics or information. We all love to help here!

If you would like to refer to or reply to a specific post, you can click on "quote" on the individual post and that will generate a reply with that post quoted. (It may say "reply" in each post on other browsers/apps). If you press reply at the bottom of the thread, a blank reply opens. You can also refer to individual people by using a Twitter-style @, like @Trebor .

I hope this helps!
    Cristina, in my browser the "reply" button doesn't create any kind of link back to the replied-to post (it's just like the reply box at the bottom of the thread), but the "reply with quote" button does.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Cristina, in my browser the "reply" button doesn't create any kind of link back to the replied-to post (it's just like the reply box at the bottom of the thread), but the "reply with quote" button does.
    Oh! Good to know, thanks :-)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast