Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added exterior straps to the side of my new Synik for carrying a tripod. Could also work for the Synapse.Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-b2bb6d39-d304-46d4-8a7b-7bda60939ad3-jpegShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-9fe13c69-a85f-48e8-94d2-6c397439c5e9-jpegShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-724627e3-b876-42dc-a360-388914b0d00c-jpegShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-103d2e8e-f5c6-452a-af4c-34d81844cd67-jpeg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos for taking the plunge on making your bag work better for you!

I am curious, is there a backer (stiffener?) on the inside of the attachment points, since they look to be mounted away from a structural seam? It looks like a regular stitch instead of an X-box. How much does your tripod weigh? I would be concerned that over time the stress at the attachment points would pull the tabs out of the fabric (although the Halcyon is quite strong). Do you also balance it out with, say, a water bottle on the opposite side? It might also be interesting to further redistribute the weight by strapping the waist straps around the tripod at the bottom.

On a different note - what do you like to take pictures of, when you are out and about? Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I work for a construction company as the marketing director and one of my main jobs is to take photographs of projects...before, during, and after. I agree that for extensive use this would not be a viable option...but this is to basically make it easier to schlep all my gear in and out of hotels, schools, airports, up and down stairs, etc... when shooting our work. I have a lot of gear bags and only two hands. (:

This tripod is less than 3 lbs so it is light. One of the bottom points is using the existing waist band loops. At some point, I might get brave and actually do some seam ripping and sewing these into the seam but bag surgery is a risky proposition. As it is, the weight is distributed among 8 different spots so it shouldn’t be a big deal for lightweight use.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a fun job!!

If you ever do perform augmentive surgery Smilie - the Guide's Edition might be a good template for where to add attachments, since the GE already has lash points. Or, you might consider picking up a Smart Alec secondhand with gatekeeper straps on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIMT View Post
    Thank you! I work for a construction company as the marketing director and one of my main jobs is to take photographs of projects...before, during, and after. I agree that for extensive use this would not be a viable option...but this is to basically make it easier to schlep all my gear in and out of hotels, schools, airports, up and down stairs, etc... when shooting our work. I have a lot of gear bags and only two hands. (:

This tripod is less than 3 lbs so it is light. One of the bottom points is using the existing waist band loops. At some point, I might get brave and actually do some seam ripping and sewing these into the seam but bag surgery is a risky proposition. As it is, the weight is distributed among 8 different spots so it shouldn’t be a big deal for lightweight use.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boss might growl at spending any more money on bags for camera equipment. I probably should make this one work one way or another. Embarrassment

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16