Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much of a hack, but useful nonetheless

As I was leaving the Create tent at South by Southwest, I was eyeing the trash / recycle bins, which were jammed with all kinds of stuff. One bin had some clumps of orange, which turned out to be a cluster of tied-together lengths of bright orange paracord, probably had been used to tie together some boxes or items within them. I was tempted to take enough to fill out my backpack, but forced myself to take just a bit. Since I was biking a few miles at that point, with a Synpase 19, I realized this woud make a great visibility maker for the back. Threaded a length through the holes on the zipper pulls, tied it together to make a triangle. The cord is not actually reflective, but with my phone's camera in the daylight, it nearly looks this way.

Now I need to learn to make the monkey-paw knots to make use of some of the rest of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_20150315_185816-jpg 

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they were the same color, it might also help them travel as "one item" for airlines or airports where that is an issue. Looks something like the backpacks with a zipped-in removable daypack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone. You've got a nice forum going on here, and I figured I could add this little project to the mix. Smilie

My MCB is a great EDC bag, but when I fill it with my Chromebook and paper folders at work, I don't have enough room to spare for water & lunch. I've fixed this problem by adding a fairly inconspicuous 1-1/2" Triangle Metal Hook (from the TB Parts page) to the bag... Can you see it?

Here it is with water & lunch:

It is a super easy project- just pull the strap through the clip, then slip something through the loop to hold it in place and pull to tighten. Right now I'm using a Nite Ize "Gear Tie":

I originally use a 1 1/2" Gatekeeper, and it worked great, but it felt a bit bulkier than it needed to be:

I also had good luck with a small piece of knotted Paracord:

I also wanted an option for the right side of the bag if I wanted it (just because I'm like that...), so I made this little piece that also works pretty well:

Thanks for looking!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dandelion - Fantastic idea and execution of a Side Effect piggy backing onto a Synapse. I have to try this on my S25 and see if I can get it to work!

@Blackeagle - I love how you attached the SA LMP onto your Ristretto. I have always wanted a Ristretto but now I really want one just so I can do that!

@HonestMarshwiggle - Welcome to the forum. Great ingenuity from your first post. Thanks for sharing! I am going to try to use the paracord I have to hold my triangular hooks to the shoulder strap webbing like you have done - great pictures!

Thanks all for sharing.

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to pull my jacket out of a travel stuff sack was not always as easy as I'd like because it fills the sack entirely and there's nothing to grip on the bottom end.

stuff sack 4
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

stuff sack 5
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

So I had some webbing sewn on that end to make a small loop.

stuff sack 6
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

stuff sack 7
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Jacket egress is now more convenient. Wink

stuff sack 8
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post
    Trying to pull my jacket out of a travel stuff sack was not always as easy as I'd like because it fills the sack entirely and there's nothing to grip on the bottom end.

stuff sack 4
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

stuff sack 5
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

So I had some webbing sewn on that end to make a small loop.

stuff sack 6
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

stuff sack 7
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Jacket egress is now more convenient. Wink

stuff sack 8
    by jjgtme, on Flickr
    This is very cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having seen the loop on the stuff sack, I now know: that should be standard Smilie

San Diego
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Having seen the loop on the stuff sack, I now know: that should be standard Smilie
    If you guys do go with a strap/loop on the bottom of the bag, which is a great idea, there are cleaner ways to do it, kind of like the side grab handles on the Aeronaut.

Basically a flush strip of material that goes across the bottom of the bag and doesn't stick out at all, but can still be grabbed. You could also make it such that you can't even see it if it's lined up with the existing bottom material.

Love this thread!
    Current Roster
    Aeronaut 45 - Steel/Wasabi; A45 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack - steel; A45 End Pocket Packing Cube (EPPC) - 2 mesh, 1 all fabric; Absolute Shoulder Strap; Pilot - Steel/Wasabi; Pilot large packing cube - Steel; 3D Clear Organizer Cube - Steel; Clear Quarter Packing Cube (CQPC) - Wasabi; CQPC - Steel; three mini organizer pouches - red, blue, wasabi; Key straps (3) - Two 8, one 16"

Contemplating
    Western Flyer?

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Dyneema Synapse 19 with red zipper TB pulls.
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426900649-526387-jpg

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgazzz View Post
    If you guys do go with a strap/loop on the bottom of the bag, which is a great idea, there are cleaner ways to do it, kind of like the side grab handles on the Aeronaut.

Basically a flush strip of material that goes across the bottom of the bag and doesn't stick out at all, but can still be grabbed. You could also make it such that you can't even see it if it's lined up with the existing bottom material.

Love this thread!
    You could use a matching key strap across the bottom, lays flat and matches. I like it.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a point re: cleaner way to do a grab handle; I do like that minimalist black one, but I concede, and recast my claim to be "a grab handle should be standard," however it quite looks.

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgazzz View Post

Love this thread!
    Yes, that would be a cleaner look but I found that the loop as I have it ended up with an additional functional benefit.

Add a clip or carabiner like so...

stuff sack 9
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

And in the event you need more room inside the bag the stuff sack can be stowed on the outside for carry.

stuff sack 10
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff a Small Shop Bag inside of a Q-Kit!

Credit goes to Bijouxandbeads
    http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...html#post94664

Forum Member
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way to cut the straps off of the old side effects?

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a sharp object I presume...

I like the straps on my old side effect. I like that they stow away easily and aren't in the way. I know folks used to cut them off back in the day though.
    Okay, now I REALLY want a Dyneema CoPilot!
    I NEED to find a Medium Cafe bag in Dyneema!
    Black Dyneema /Solar is my #1 choice!
    Next would be Steel /steel, or Nordic/solar.
    Looking for Smart Alec in Nordic, or steel /steel Dyneema.
    Also looking for mini OP's in CORK and Solar.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast