Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meglet, this I gotta see. �� Any chance of a photo?
    Thanks,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, let's see if I can get this to upload. . . . It's a little bit dark so it's hard to see details, and I do wish the clips were about 1/2" higher, but it works! This is one side, I did the same on the other side.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_2495-jpg
    Rambling On. . . . .

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. Great dual purpose.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hypothetically, if one is packing for a canoe trip but runs out of room in the food barrel and needs an easy-access, dunk-proof bag to hold lunch for nine people, what to do? Piece of cake!

This is a Large Shop Bag, lined with a big green garbage bag. Lunch is in the garbage bag, which is big enough that you can get a nice long twist closure, which then tucks down between the garbage bag and the LSB wall to keep it in place. Then the handles are tied together in a square knot - the garbage bag won't fall out if it gets tipped and the padded handles are still easy to grab. Plus, the side pockets are reasonably secure but easily accessed for things that don't need to be waterproofed, like sunscreen or bug spray.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. I just independently discovered this (first one) and posted it in a separate thread. It really is useful!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Oh. I just independently discovered this (first one) and posted it in a separate thread. It really is useful!
    I followed up in your Pilot fits into packing cube backpack and vice versa thread with some excerpted old pictures that @tangfl posted in February 2014 when the Pilot debuted. This identifies the hack with the Packing Cube Backpack for Tristar/Western Flyer (since the PCBP for Aeronaut gives too tight a fit), and also shows said packing cube backpack rolled up into a Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack.

moriond

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came up with a solution to carrying a bike helmet on a DayLight BackPack (DLBP). I used the following TB Parts – total $5 USD!!

1” Triangle Metal Hooks (Pair) - $1
    5/8” Shoulder Strap - $3
    Double Carabiner - $1

I hooked each triangle metal hook to one of the waist strap loops on the DLBP.
    I then clipped the ends of the 5/8” shoulder strap to the metal hooks.
    Finally, I clipped the Double Carabiner to the DLBP carry handle at top.
    I then adjusted the 5/8” Shoulder Strap so I could thread the middle part through the holes in the bike helmet and then attach it to the double carabiner at the top.

Below are a series of photos to help visualize it. I like that I can still get items in the DLBP main compartment without having to unclip the strap. I also like that I can adjust the Shoulder Strap so I can tighten things up and position the bike helmet higher or lower on the DLBP to my liking. The fact that I can unclip the Shoulder Strap easily and put it away when not is use is a great bonus too.

Here are 2 picture of a bike helmet attached to the DLBP
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bikefront-jpgShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bikeside-jpg

Waist strap bottom attachment point
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bikebottom-jpg

Top handle attachment point
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_biketop-jpg

Opening the DLBP with the bike helmet still attached
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bikeopen-jpg

Strap configuration
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_nohelmet-jpg

How the Strap is threaded through the bike helmet (different helmet from above pictures to better show contrast)
    Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bike1-jpgShare Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-dlbp_bike2-jpg

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-04-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I came up with a solution to carrying a bike helmet on a DayLight BackPack (DLBP). I used the following TB Parts – total $5 USD!!
    I just wanted to say thanks for this - I belatedly got a DLBP a few weeks ago and have been using this setup ever since, and I can't believe how well it works - it's been an absolute revelation!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad it works for you too! I find the DLBP a good size for biking as it is very slim and streamlined - being able to hook my helmet really helps reduce the number of things I need to carry when off the bike. I love that I can still get at things in the main compartment even with the helmet attached.

Enjoy your DLBP and helmet setup!

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is going to Japan and needed a good messenger bag to use while riding a bike. The MB was too big for her but the CP was perfect. However, she really wanted the waist strap like on the MB.
    I purchased a waist strap from the website and attached it to the CP by adding two grommets to the back material under the outside pocket zipper of the CP.
    Works perfect!Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453511662-495917-jpg
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Camera I/O fits perfectly in large top compartment of the Aeronaut 45 PCBP.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've hacked a 16" key strap into an ID badge lanyard that I can wear in my belt:

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this @terayon! So intuitively obvious yet not for me apparently. I think I may try this today.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can put a lot in the daylight backpack

I use the Daylight pack to transport my 2008 Macbook Pro and my work Dell "ultralight". I use quotes as it's no Macbook Air. I have the Macbook in Cache and the Dell in an older Tom Bihn sleeve that I had for my old TiBook G4. I put the Cache in the bottom "pocket" and the Dell in the main compartment. A Snake Charmer is in there too. In the top pocket I have a key strap with a small padded Organizer and a medium clear organizer to hold misc odds and ends. This may all sound crazy but it's an effort to reduce the weight I'm putting on my bicycle. The Daylight weighs almost nothing by itself and I can drop it loaded into my saddle bag without any complaint.Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses-img_0389-jpg
    Last edited by demmons; 03-26-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to say Cafe...meant Cache

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone who contributed their bag hacks / creative uses! @Zeke made some great videos demonstrating selected hacks/creative uses. Here they are:

TOM BIHN Forums Bag Hacks Part I
    https://vimeo.com/160672777

TOM BIHN Forums Bag Hacks Part II
    https://vimeo.com/160672776
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast