Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 too small for me

Sadly, I have decided to return the A30 (in lovely Black Dyneema/UV) that I purchased in December. It turns out that despite my desire to be a more minimalist packer, I am just not there and the A30 is too small for me.

Starting packing today for a 3 1/2 trip to Florida. I need to being work clothes, casual clothes, beach stuff, and fitness gear. This is how I started:

This is what wouldn't fit in the A30:

And this is the A45, packed and ready to go (including my beautiful forum gift in Verde!):

I know I could probably pack a bit less (although for this trip, the only "extra" stuff I have is one skirt and tee), but I just don't, so back she goes. Thought about keeping it for the 1-2 night trips, but for that I have the NFTD and Synapses, so it seems like overkill. Alas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brendabethman, I understand completely. Even though I was awed and inspired by the external blog post [sorry, but I can't find the link at the moment] from a guy who was able by some magic to fit everything in an A30 that he had previously carried in an A45—with room to spare—I think I must be a packing Squib to his Dumbledore. There is no way I could do that. And I don't especially want to either. I love, love, love my Aubergine A45, and to me it is a marvel that I can carry everything I both need and want in it for a two-week trip, without skimping. And maybe that's as minimal as I am ever going to go—nothing wrong with that.

However, I couldn't resist the lure of an Aubergine A30, and so I bought one last summer. I still haven't used it yet, but I have no intention of letting it go. I'm sure there will be a weekend trip that I'll use it for: and besides, it's so gorgeous.

So don't feel bad!

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ncb4 I saw that video, too, and have no idea how he did it! I am tempted to keep it, but just think I won't use it enough. I figure I can use my refund for more cage bags or another Swift instead :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, another Swift! Good plan.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I long for a Kiwi Swift! That would console me for the loss of the A30, I believe.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can post more red blend photos in the meantime? Would LOVE to see red blend or azure as Swift options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I think I must be a packing Squib to his Dumbledore.
    Is there a support group for packing Squibs? Because I would attend those meetings. Especially if there's chocolate. Dairy Milk, anyone?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos—they make it all clear (and colorful, too; the bedspread pulls it together).
    Last edited by ilikepie; 01-27-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Maybe you can post more red blend photos in the meantime? Would LOVE to see red blend or azure as Swift options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OMG, a red blend or azure Swift would be amazing!!

And here's a pic. I love how the red and olive together make it look like a grapevine :-)

A30 too small for me-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422452611-744680-jpg

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brendabethman great pictures! Tuff call to send a bag back, isn't it? I get, that you console your self by thinking about bags to come instead. I wish Darcy would start hinting about the new Knitting Bag. DARCY DO YOU READ ME? It is could and windy and rainy outside, so we need heartwarming bag-thoughts to keep us warm!

Sorry for the sidestep, back to topic. We have an Aubergine A45 and A30. When we packed for a trip some weeks back I asked my husband to take his A45 (forest) and mine and the children's suitcases (they have to have cute Rabbits on them so no Tom Bihn there... jet). I laid everything on a table that was do be packed.

When I came home he said: it was a bit of a struggle but I did it. When I look I said: the struggle was due to you taking my A30 instead of my A45. Did you not realize some difference in the size of my bag compared to yours? - Oh... ah... no, I didn't... but look everything is in there... and look I am so cute so do not laugh at me... (it was all in his look you know). The A30 looked like a sausage about to pop open but hey it's Tom Bihn, it's as tuff as they come so everything was fine.

(He did not realize the different Zipper-stile, the different interior color, the different type of side-pocked divider lock/unlock mechanism not to talk about that extra zipper on the outer most pocket... I'd say "man" but I know that there are men here who are quite capable of telling the difference so I keep my mouth shut.)

I like the Red-blend a lot. It is the first red in a long time that seems to have that little tip to the blue side that it gets a cold undertone. I want something in that color, but for me it would need a blue or gray interior (just thinking: Gray in 500 Cordura as a lining would be gorges with so many colors! Darcy, still here?)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    brendabethman great pictures! Tuff call to send a bag back, isn't it? I get, that you console your self by thinking about bags to come instead. I wish Darcy would start hinting about the new Knitting Bag. DARCY DO YOU READ ME? It is could and windy and rainy outside, so we need heartwarming bag-thoughts to keep us warm!

When I came home he said: it was a bit of a struggle but I did it. When I look I said: the struggle was due to you taking my A30 instead of my A45. Did you not realize some difference in the size of my bag compared to yours?

Ilkyway
    It is breaking my heart to send it back (in fact, I keep changing my mind). BUT, since I almost always travel with the fitness stuff, I would really only use it once s year for our study abroad program. I think it needs more love than that.

I am impressed with your husband's packing skills (even if his bag recognition skills leave something to be desired :-)

And yes to hints! Pretty please, @Darcy?!?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I long for a Kiwi Swift! That would console me for the loss of the A30, I believe.
    Kiwi Swifts are back in stock, if you still need consolation.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Kiwi Swifts are back in stock, if you still need consolation.

moriond
    I fast click the Totes link then the Swift one, and... no Aubergine/UV or Navy/UV or Steel/UV.

I need a matching Swift as PLO to my SE accessories L3DC*/mini PLO/dressy PLO.

L3DC=Long 3D Cube.

Forum Member
    Toronto, ON
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think I would use an A30. I've had many trip, especially for conferences, in which my A45 was an overkill. Everything was loose and moving around in it. My husband and I will sometimes carry one A45 for the two of us. I may get one at the end of the month.

But if I didnt use it, I'd definitely return it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loving A30?

I know how you feel; I got the A30 and am having a hard time packing it in ways that work for me. I am going to work with it this weekend, and if not, return it. It seems more than packing cubes, it will be stuff sacks that will work.
    I am actually surprised you could fit in the large packing cube, and what looks like PCSB; a stuff sack; and several others in the side pockets. Would you mind saying what was in each? or just some sense of depth?
    I am trying to figure it out. The A45 is too big for me..so if A30 does not work, then I just have to make do with others!

Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    Sadly, I have decided to return the A30 (in lovely Black Dyneema/UV) that I purchased in December. It turns out that despite my desire to be a more minimalist packer, I am just not there and the A30 is too small for me.

Starting packing today for a 3 1/2 trip to Florida. I need to being work clothes, casual clothes, beach stuff, and fitness gear. This is how I started:

This is what wouldn't fit in the A30:

And this is the A45, packed and ready to go (including my beautiful forum gift in Verde!):

I know I could probably pack a bit less (although for this trip, the only "extra" stuff I have is one skirt and tee), but I just don't, so back she goes. Thought about keeping it for the 1-2 night trips, but for that I have the NFTD and Synapses, so it seems like overkill. Alas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast