Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you've never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.
    Judith Thurman
    So much to catch up! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance toward the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point. Climb slowly, steadily, enjoying each passing moment; and the view from the summit will serve as a fitting climax for the journey.

Harold B. Melchart

This quote greeted our family at an overnight rest stop at Laban Rata on a mammoth climb up Mount Kinabalu, Borneo.
    Never have I been so tired ..... with a summit of 4095m, and adverse weather, the climb challenged us all (especially my son who had had spinal surgery 10 months before the climb) ..... but we succeeded and what a journey it was. Nothing is impossible and determination and the making of memories get you a long way Smilie

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is on travel and I would like to tell the story behind it: in 9th grade (We count our grads form the first year at school which we attend at an age of 5 to 7 until we leave school to go to university or train for a job at the age of 16 to 21) when I was 15 years old my German Teacher (since I am German this is what you Americans would call English - where you learn about literature and writing and debating and thinking...) our teacher wrote the following on the blackboard:
    Die Seele des Menschen reist mit der Geschwindigkeit... (The soul of mankind travels with the speed of...). Than he had us guess what the last word would be. We had so many answers and we discussed it a lot: like lightning because in thought we can be anywhere so fast or like a rocket because that is the fastest mankind has traveled so far...

He smiled, wrote all the words down and had us think and talk. After quite a while he wrote down the last word: camel. We where very puzzled. Why a camel. In Germany there are no Camels other than in Zoos. There you can have a ride but travel on them??? We where puzzled. Than he explained that it is a very old saying and it is, of cause from somewhere south where a long time ago (and I think in regons until today) people do infarct travel by camels. After that he tolled us, that camels go about 30 kilometers a day. His last challenge was to think about how it would effect people, if the soul in fact was not able to go as fast as a rocket or a plane or a car for what it matters. He did not want to discourage travel or modern inventions or whatever but he wanted us to think about fast and slow and how much of fast a soul really can take.

So this is it: The soul of mankind travels with the speed of camel. (Die Seele des Menschen reist mit der Geschwindigkeit eines Kamels.)

He suggested to go slow whenever there is a chance to let the soul catch up a bit. Since he a very down to earth man who normally talked about Göthe or Lessing this lesson staid with me because it was such a contrast to his other lessons. I think he was in his late 50th and it felt as if he wanted to teach us something about time and stress and staying seine in a very fast world that we surely could not grasp at 15.

But every time I travel I think back to this day and ask myself if my soul will be able to keep up the speed my body goes. And than I try to take in all the experiences I am making in that moment to make it worth while and by that slow it a bit down.
    And I feel, that design that is meant to last (a long time anyway) fits right in there, because the things we use a long way of our journey help us to with a feeling of "slowness". A pen that is with us for several years is a bit of an anker on top of being a tool as a one way ballpoint pen is just a tool.

There is much of what I feel toads bags and why I have some more than I might actually need in this too. And it helps me tremendously to have found a company that does not only sell bags but have them have a concept that applies to all their bags so that each bag feels familiar right away even if I had used an other one for the last few weeks. It adds a kind of slowness to my live that I very much appreciate.

So maybe not a sparkling Quote but it is with me for quite some time now and so I add it here. More than anything to share the story and the thoughts behind it than to have Dan draw camels ;-)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason this was the first thing to pop in my head, when I saw the request for travel quotes:

For whatever we lose(like a you or a me)
    it’s always ourselves we find in the sea

From this poem:

maggie and milly and molly and may
    by E. E. Cummings, 1894 - 1962

went down to the beach(to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
    so sweetly she couldn’t remember her troubles,and

milly befriended a stranded star
    whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
    which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
    as small as a world and as large as alone.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    For some reason this was the first thing to pop in my head, when I saw the request for travel quotes:

From this poem:

went down to the beach(to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
    so sweetly she couldn’t remember her troubles,and

milly befriended a stranded star
    whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
    which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
    as small as a world and as large as alone.

@haraya, great poem! The singer Natalie Merchant actually introduced me to it, when she put it to music on one of her latest CDs. Have you heard it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Mine is on travel and I would like to tell the story behind it: in 9th grade (We count our grads form the first year at school which we attend at an age of 5 to 7 until we leave school to go to university or train for a job at the age of 16 to 21) when I was 15 years old my German Teacher (since I am German this is what you Americans would call English - where you learn about literature and writing and debating and thinking...) our teacher wrote the following on the blackboard:
    Die Seele des Menschen reist mit der Geschwindigkeit... (The soul of mankind travels with the speed of...). Than he had us guess what the last word would be. We had so many answers and we discussed it a lot: like lightning because in thought we can be anywhere so fast or like a rocket because that is the fastest mankind has traveled so far...

He smiled, wrote all the words down and had us think and talk. After quite a while he wrote down the last word: camel. We where very puzzled. Why a camel. In Germany there are no Camels other than in Zoos. There you can have a ride but travel on them??? We where puzzled. Than he explained that it is a very old saying and it is, of cause from somewhere south where a long time ago (and I think in regons until today) people do infarct travel by camels. After that he tolled us, that camels go about 30 kilometers a day. His last challenge was to think about how it would effect people, if the soul in fact was not able to go as fast as a rocket or a plane or a car for what it matters. He did not want to discourage travel or modern inventions or whatever but he wanted us to think about fast and slow and how much of fast a soul really can take.

So this is it: The soul of mankind travels with the speed of camel. (Die Seele des Menschen reist mit der Geschwindigkeit eines Kamels.)

He suggested to go slow whenever there is a chance to let the soul catch up a bit. Since he a very down to earth man who normally talked about Göthe or Lessing this lesson staid with me because it was such a contrast to his other lessons. I think he was in his late 50th and it felt as if he wanted to teach us something about time and stress and staying seine in a very fast world that we surely could not grasp at 15.

But every time I travel I think back to this day and ask myself if my soul will be able to keep up the speed my body goes. And than I try to take in all the experiences I am making in that moment to make it worth while and by that slow it a bit down.
    And I feel, that design that is meant to last (a long time anyway) fits right in there, because the things we use a long way of our journey help us to with a feeling of "slowness". A pen that is with us for several years is a bit of an anker on top of being a tool as a one way ballpoint pen is just a tool.

There is much of what I feel toads bags and why I have some more than I might actually need in this too. And it helps me tremendously to have found a company that does not only sell bags but have them have a concept that applies to all their bags so that each bag feels familiar right away even if I had used an other one for the last few weeks. It adds a kind of slowness to my live that I very much appreciate.

So maybe not a sparkling Quote but it is with me for quite some time now and so I add it here. More than anything to share the story and the thoughts behind it than to have Dan draw camels ;-)

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway, this is lovely. It feels right, that the soul of mankind moves as fast as a camel. It feels steady, surefooted, and most of all, built for endurance.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Chula Vista, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On design: "Keep it simple stupid"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post

Beyond the Like it or Thank you button, I wanted to tell you that I loved the story !

Bring to my mind the image of slow moving camelback peregrine crossing a desert with this sound track...

And makes me think of the time we spend in our thoughts looking through a train or airplane windows while travelling!
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-13-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)

From this poem:

Loved the cadence of the images offered by the poem, beautiful, beautiful!

Thanks to @blackbird Just learned about Natalie Merchant her old poems project and could hear it in her beautiful voice (at 7:00) !

Last edited by eWalker; 02-13-2015 at 04:42 AM.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    @haraya, great poem! The singer Natalie Merchant actually introduced me to it, when she put it to music on one of her latest CDs. Have you heard it?
    I had no idea!! Will have to listen to that!! I loved Merchant's "Tiger Lily" album, her voice can be so mesmerizing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, what a beautiful essay on travel. Smilie Have you ever read "Pattern Recognition," by William Gibson? (One of my favorite novels, and writers.) In it, a character muses on jet lag and thinks of it as "soul-delay":

“She knows, now, absolutely, hearing the white noise that is London, that Damien's theory of jet lag is correct: that her mortal soul is leagues behind her, being reeled in on some ghostly umbilical down the vanished wake of the plane that brought her here, hundreds of thousands of feet above the Atlantic. Souls can't move that quickly, and are left behind, and must be awaited, upon arrival, like lost luggage.”

(which reminds me, I have to locate my copy of the book!! Smilie)

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea!! Will have to listen to that!! I loved Merchant's "Tiger Lily" album, her voice can be so mesmerizing.
    @haraya, you can stream the album for free here.

---

These say perfectly why I love flying + traveling so much:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
    — Leonardo da Vinci

"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us."
    — John Steinbeck
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway, what a beautiful essay on travel. Smilie Have you ever read "Pattern Recognition," by William Gibson? (One of my favorite novels, and writers.) In it, a character muses on jet lag and thinks of it as "soul-delay":

“She knows, now, absolutely, hearing the white noise that is London, that Damien's theory of jet lag is correct: that her mortal soul is leagues behind her, being reeled in on some ghostly umbilical down the vanished wake of the plane that brought her here, hundreds of thousands of feet above the Atlantic. Souls can't move that quickly, and are left behind, and must be awaited, upon arrival, like lost luggage.”

(which reminds me, I have to locate my copy of the book!! Smilie)
    Oh, I want to read this too! How beautiful.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “People have forgotten this truth,” the fox said. “But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed.”
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

This is the quote on the 03/07/2014 Skookum Dog blog post.

It resonates with me because it is a reminder that nurturing is an essential part of life.

Lack of it, either received or given, explains much of the suffering of humans, pets, animals, environments and our planet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had to say how much I loved Ilkyway's quote and story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast