Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests

What's this? It appears to be a big box from Tom Bihn!

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08907-jpg

Let's see what's inside...

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08908-jpg

There's two pouches...

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08910-jpg

Five Aeronaut 45 Packing Cubes...

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08911-jpg

Four Tall Yarn Stuff Sacks in different colors (always have different colors! That way you can tell which sack is which!)

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08912-jpg

Two Medium Yarn Stuff Sacks and Two Size Three Travel Stuff Sacks, each in different colors. The point here was to determine which kind of stuff sack works better in holding my power cords. Answer: Medium Yarn Stuff Sack by a long shot. Bigger opening.

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08913-jpg

I wonder what the robots think of these. Here are five of 'em playing around...

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08916-jpg

And now for the OFFICIAL instructions (pay attention everyone!) for how to properly pack your robot in a Brain Bag.

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08921-jpg

Step 1: put robot in packing cube.

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08922-jpg

Step 2. zip up packing cube.

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08924-jpg

Step 3. Put packing cube in Brain Bag

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08925-jpg

Step 4. Both robots now in Brain Bag and ready to go.

Bag Unpacking and Robot Tests-dsc08928-jpg

And that concludes the official instructions for how to properly pack your robot in a Brain Bag.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They even look pretty comfortable. Thanks for giving me a smile this morning.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of those robots look ready for a potato sack race. The one with the Iberian sack on its head looks like my kind of robot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a lot of new Tom Bihn gear you have there! I'm guessing for more then one bag? Also what are the Robots? Do they have IP addresses on them? They look fun - love to learn more!
    Last edited by Gage; 02-20-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Puget Sound region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clever! Do they clean house?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun post, and great haul photos! The robots are terrific!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great picture row. If the robots where're in the title I would have scowled down in my usual slow way to appreciate all the colors and goodies. But even with the "waring" what to expect it was: WOW look at these fellows all comfortable in their sleeping-bags".

But maybe you should have put No. 4 in the packing-cube. He seems to be overwhelmed with the sleeping-bag concept and might have been glad to have a see-through solution?!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are my fav pics!! great!! I think Tom Bihn should included them with all the stuff sacks from now on.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    That's quite a lot of new Tom Bihn gear you have there! I'm guessing for more then one bag? Also what are the Robots? Do they have IP addresses on them? They look fun - love to learn more!
    There's one more item coming tonight (Medium Cafe Bag). Believe it or not, I just have the Brain Bag. Though TB is welcome to send me some bags for free to rectify the situation.

The robots are Darwin-OPs and compete in RoboCup. They have built-in linux boxes, and the IP addresses are their wireless addresses so we can connect to them via laptops.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post
    There's one more item coming tonight (Medium Cafe Bag). Believe it or not, I just have the Brain Bag. Though TB is welcome to send me some bags for free to rectify the situation.

The robots are Darwin-OPs and compete in RoboCup. They have built-in linux boxes, and the IP addresses are their wireless addresses so we can connect to them via laptops.
    Wow. I would be interested to see how all those things fit into a brain bag.

Yeah I saw the IP addresses on them - figured they had some sort of Linux running on them... I just looked up the price... Holy moly - looks like I'm not getting into the robots hobby quite yet. Is it a work related project? Super cool!

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post

That's impressive! Lots of things to go in one bag.

I figured they must have some sort of OS on them based off the IP address sticker on them. I just looked them up - holy moly EEK! - I cannot afford to get into the Robot hobby quite yet! I'm not sure if I would Is it a work related thing?

Take care!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little known fact: robot soccer is my favorite competitive sport. I never thought I'd see them in Packing Cubes and Stuff Sacks! Thanks for a truly delightful post, feijai.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    I just looked them up - holy moly EEK! - I cannot afford to get into the Robot hobby quite yet! I'm not sure if I would Is it a work related thing?
    University robotics research. We have 8 of them. Yes, they're $10K apiece. That ain't nothin': a full-sized humanoid robot, hand-built or purchased, would typically run about $500K.

Forum Member
    Asheville, NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is on FaceBook

I just saw this photo on the TB Facebook page!! How FUN!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are wonderful. The only robot I have is a Roomba. Actually I have 2. One is an older one and harder to clean and it couldn't keep up with our freaky weather and cat hair. The new one can. When I got the new one, I did a Roombaectomy on the other one to make it more efficient. Husband walked in and freaked out, thinking I could never get it back together. Fooled him and now I use that for the hardwood where kitty doesn't go as much.

Roomba actually encourages people to hack and sells parts to do so, which is one way they keep improving them. The thing is amazing how much it picks up and my allergies can attest to it. The only problem we have is that Miss Kitty knows how to turn it on, so it has to be in a different room whenever we leave the house.