Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside the FJN - is there a back slot for journals to slide in?

I know the rings on the FJN remove somehow. When they're removed, is there a vertical slot, pocket, or opening of any kind where you could slide in the back cover of a journal like a field notes? Anyone willing to share a pic of the inside with the ring section removed? I want to see how it can be configured without the rings being used. Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question.

I do not have a FJN but I did find this excellent video by @maverick showing the FJN and how to reverse the rings (FF to the 6 min mark). In the process, you see what it looks like removed. Hopefully that will help you with your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqnNBswxtY4

Note - this video is at the bottom of the FJN page on the TB website as well:

Field Journal Notebook - Notebook ideal for those who watercolor or use fountain pens - TOM BIHN

Also, there seems to be a open slot on the other side underneath the organizer pockets that may work for you (FF to the 4 min 30 sec mark)

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-07-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Interesting question.

I do not have a FJN but I did find this excellent video by @maverick showing the FJN and how to reverse the rings (FF to the 6 min mark). In the process, you see what it looks like removed. Hopefully that will help you with your question.

Note - this video is at the bottom of the FJN page on the TB website as well:

Field Journal Notebook - Notebook ideal for those who watercolor or use fountain pens - TOM BIHN

Also, there seems to be a open slot on the other side underneath the organizer pockets that may work for you (FF to the 4 min 30 sec mark)

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Hi, To add to what @tpnl said, you can't actually insert another notebook like one from Field Notes, when you remove the ring insert. If you look at the view at about 6:20, you'll see that the insert tabs on each side if the plastic ring board look as though they have 5 tabs on each side (like the tabs that stick out on file divider sheets, only these extend out further, and are on both sides(. That means that when they slot into the fabric holder slots to the right and left, they are held in very securely by 10 different slot holders, but it also means that any other notebook will not fit into the slots. This design does make it easy to reverse the ring side, if you are left-handed or if you are writing in a language that flows from left to right.

Field Notes Notebooks are much smaller than the FJN, BTW. There is a pocket behind the left side stitched pockets where you can slide in a small tablet or iPad Mini. See, for example, the pictures in this post.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-07-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Fixed bb code formatting to embed YouTube video

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in principle the rings come out completely, and free up space for something electronic like an iPad Mini? Anyone able to test and post pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    So in principle the rings come out completely, and free up space for something electronic like an iPad Mini? Anyone able to test and post pictures?

The rings are attached to the thick plastic backing which have deep notches in the sides to fit into the shallow slots that hold it in place. But if the entire thing is removed, there is not a pocket that will hold an iPad mini. There is space for you to lay one down, but it would not be secured. Not sure if that makes any sense....

I will try to get some photos

Ok, here is the ring insert taken out. You can see the notches in the sides that fit into the slots.
    Inside the FJN - is there a back slot for journals to slide in?-fullsizerender-2-jpg

The slots are quite shallow. Here is a TB ruler with both ends in the slots, and some bookmarks showing the five slots.
    Inside the FJN - is there a back slot for journals to slide in?-img_5182-jpgInside the FJN - is there a back slot for journals to slide in?-img_5183-jpg

My iPad Air 2 fits really well into the space, but there is no pocket to hold it in
    Inside the FJN - is there a back slot for journals to slide in?-img_5184-jpg
    Last edited by gochicken; 03-07-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post

In minute 6:20 of Maverick video, when the ring binder mechanism is removed one can see a plain black fabric area. Without the hard plastic leaf, I imagine that the side is floppier just like the Cordura Swift used to be before the addition of the Ballistic bottom.

Right now, for people who want the FJN beautiful lines but, do not use ring binders, the Daylight Briefcase is perfect.
    It holds a 7" tablet, iPad mini, Kobo, some of the larger Phablets in the front slanted pocket.
    A small laptop or a A4/letter size notebooks or notepads in the main compartment and a slim folder in the back pocket.
    The front horizontal pocket is divided for smaller electronic or analogue items.

I would have gotten one in a NY minute, make that a Star Trek millisecond, if it had been made in Nordic.

I don't want to steer you away from the FJN, on the contrary, it is wonderful and those limited edition colors are perfect matching and contrasting colors with the Daylight Briefcase.

Getting both would make sense for someone who would want everything needed for a travel journal, a travel blog, a journey blog (documenting an engagement/wedding preparation, a pregnancy/birth, the first year, the toddler years, pet adoption). Any artistic, spiritual or physical journey really.

It can make research, dissertation, home improvement projects easier to deal with.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-07-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am aiming to put the mini in cache in the FJN and my phone in the interior slot. There are many work scenarios where I'm using apple electronics for field obs (over paper) and a larger bag would be in the way. It's not perfect, because the cache/tablet doesn't attach. But, I think potentially still very useful. Thanks everyone!

Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks tpnl and moriond, that helps (should have looked for a video in the first place, but sometimes I just get too excited about asking a question…lol). Trying to decide whether to get one on Tuesday, or wait to see what style comes out eventually to replace the soon-to-be-discontinued one…I could make this one work, but would really love to have a vertical pocket opening on the inside back….that would make it ideal.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    In minute 6:20 of Maverick video, when the ring binder mechanism is removed one can see a plain black fabric area. Without the hard plastic leaf, I imagine that the side is floppier just like the Cordura Swift used to be before the addition of the Ballistic bottom.

Right now, for people who want the FJN beautiful lines but, do not use ring binders, the Daylight Briefcase is perfect.
    It holds a 7" tablet, iPad mini, Kobo, some of the larger Phablets in the front slanted pocket.
    A small laptop or a A4/letter size notebooks or notepads in the main compartment and a slim folder in the back pocket.
    The front horizontal pocket is divided for smaller electronic or analogue items.

I would have gotten one in a NY minute, make that a Star Trek millisecond, if it had been made in Nordic.

I don't want to steer you away from the FJN, on the contrary, it is wonderful and those limited edition colors are perfect matching and contrasting colors with the Daylight Briefcase.

Getting both would make sense for someone who would want everything needed for a travel journal, a travel blog, a journey blog (documenting an engagement/wedding preparation, a pregnancy, spiritual or physical journey)
    hmmmm…I'll have to look at the DLBC a little closer...