Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a Tri-Star and a Western Flyer and kept both. Do I need professional help?

Okay.

You know that moment when you realize that you are much more like your parents than you ever could have imagined you'd become? That happened to me about 20 years ago when I discovered I had inherited my dad's addiction to bags. A bag for every purpose, if you will.

Well, I recently ordered a Tri-Star and a Western Flyer with the intent of comparing them. Initially I thought the Western Flyer was just too small and that the Tri-Star would cover a broader range of trip durations.

I've just used the Tri-Star on a maiden voyage and it was AWESOME! And guess what, I got home and took another look at the Western Flyer and quickly convinced myself that I NEEDED it and that it would be perfect for my occasional one or two night trips.

It's a horrible disease. Someday there will be a reality TV show about sick and deranged bagophiles. Have pity on me.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a huge problem. The only remedy is to buy more bags.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - ceb is correct. You will need the bags in various sizes, various colors, various materials - not necessarily in that order. No worries - you are not alone Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 is too many and 1000 is not enough!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @bzn, I read your earlier post about whether you should keep the Western Flyer. I noticed in the picture you posted of your Tri-Star in the http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...le-office.html thread that you opted for a 400d Dyneema bag. If you ordered your Western Flyer in Dyneema, and you might later want a Dyneema version of that bag, consider carefully before you send it back. The Western Flyer line has historically not refreshed as extensively as the Tri-Star and the Aeronaut lines. It's less of an issue if you are equally happy with Ballistic Nylon, but if the Dyneema option is important to you, and you currently have one of the Black 400d/UV Dyneema Western Flyers, take some time to consider carefully before sending it back, because these models typically require longer waits to restock.

If you travel extensively, you may find both bags useful: The Tri-Star capacity and access to the central compartment can be very useful if you need easy access to your laptops or documents from a single bag while traveling. The Western Flyer gives more room in the front split compartments (e.g., for shoes), if you don't need to carry along as much.

HTH moriond

P.S. As you cut down in the amount you need to carry with you when you travel, your standards of whether a bag like the Western Flyer is "too small" may change.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bzn: I confess that I occasionally feel a little guilty about having both the WF and TS, too, but I can't imagine letting either one go.

I got one in Dyneema and the other in Ballistic, so they seem to fit slightly different needs... or at least that's what I tell myself / how I rationalize keeping both.

The WF may not inspire as many forum postings as the TS and Aeronauts do, but it is a superstar! It may seem diminutive, but I have found it perfect for 1-2 week trips when I don't bring a full-sized laptop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond and @bb93fo57!

Yep, they are both Dyneema, and I'm keeping them both! I actually have two trips coming up this week with a 12 hour turn around between them. Taking the Tri-Star for the first trip and have the WF already packed for the second. Perfect!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzn View Post
    Thanks @moriond and @bb93fo57!

Yep, they are both Dyneema, and I'm keeping them both! I actually have two trips coming up this week with a 12 hour turn around between them. Taking the Tri-Star for the first trip and have the WF already packed for the second. Perfect!
    Not a bad plan! I love my WF and have used it for 24 hour tips all the way to 96 hour trips. Check out my review below:

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...el-review.html

I often lust over the Tri-Star but with some test packs I think the WF might actually hold more when considering shoes!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I researched for weeks the pros and cons of the WF and TS. I watched every video and looked at every photo of both bags, it seemed like the hardest decision I have made in a long time. I went with the TS for a few reasons. When I travel I go for 1-3 nights and thats why I really looked at the WF. The main reason I went with the TS is the middle pocket. When I make my sales calls I carry customer files for all customers I am seeing that trip along with my laptop, I thought the TS was the best option because of all the paper I carry. My sneakers fit in there very easily along with my clothes. I have read some reviews where people say they cannot fit sneakers in the TS, not sure why, I bought the small cube and they fit perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @krantzda I have some trouble fitting shoes in the Tri-Star. I just dropped some of the shirts I was carrying and no problem.

I like the center pocket too. I use a backpack packing cube in one of the big pockets, a large in the other, and a small and medium in the main pocket. It is AWESOME! And now that I have a Daylight Briefcase (arrived yesterday in fact) I am good to go!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @krantzda

re: Shoes in a TS - If the shoes are big (mine are size 11) AND have a wide sole or are tall (3-4" or more), it is harder to fit in the TS outer compartments which are about 2.75" wide (3" in the middle part of the front compartment). This applies to my stability control type shoes with lots of wide and tall support/rigid structure.
    They can need a little work fitting into one of the main compartments of the TS so they do not intrude on the middle compartment or bulge out. I am actually goes to try to store my shoes in the middle compartment next time I use my TS and put my laptop in the front section. The middle section seems to be a bit wider and even if it bulges a bit, it will do so into my clothes. Another solution might be to get travel type shoes that are lower profile.
    The Western Flyer, being 2 wider compartments of about 3.5" wide are easier to fit the above type shoes.

... and @bzn ... you do need professional help ... from professionals at TB Customer Service to decide on what accessories and personal carry-on to get!! I have both WF/TS AND an Aeronaut 45 for myself and my wife - just resisting getting an A30 in my favorite color combo which is now in stock!

Arrrrggggg .... must resist .....

Cheers!

Edit: I updated the thickness of the TS and WS sections
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-28-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bag junkie too. I have what I call a "purse" room, which means it is so filled with bags I can't get in. A friend will help me clean it out, just as she did my "yarn room", again a room overflowing into the hall. So many bags, not enough social life!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both also and occasionally feel I ought to sell one as they do overlap in term of capability. (I also have an aeronaut 45 so my family thinks I'm nuts to have 3 different travel bags).

Here's my justification for keeping the Western flyer and the Tristar:
    1. My WF is in the supercool Navy/UV ballistic and TS in more conservative Black/Steel ballistic (although with red zipper pulls). One feels suited to business and one suited to personal travel.
    2. My business travel I always have a laptop, and personal travel seldom does, so the extra compartment is there when needed only on business.

It's that simple. Two reasons enough in my mind to keep both. Scarily, I also have two packing cube backpacks to 'suit' the two modes of travel. A Nordic dyneema and a steel (400d) dyneeema. Again, fit for the mode of travel I'm in simply down to the colour.

Can't imagine giving either of them up (or the Aeronaut now I think about it).
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been traveling almost non-stop the last three weeks, with some 12 hour layovers at home. I've been keeping both bags packed and swapping them out when I come home.

I just cannot get over how much better travel is with a) less stuff and b) a light load you can carry. Yes roller bags can be nice. But my gosh, it's great to just run to stairs. Getting around airports is 100x easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a Tri-Star and a Western Flyer and kept both. Do I need professiona...

I ordered a Tri-Star and a Western Flyer and kept both. Do I need professional help?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433273077-273262-jpg

The TriStar goes to Rio.

With small, medium, large and backpack packing cube, various organizing cubes, a Pilot, a Daylight Backpack, and a side effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast