Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...

I've been pondering of late. You see, I recently picked up a tutoring job that is nearby. In fact, it is near enough for me to ride my bicycle to it, and that's exactly what I've been doing. I initially started out by using my Imago, but I quickly outgrew it. Currently I'm carrying the work in my Synapse 19, and while it is working just fine, as my student progresses I will be using bigger books and more materials. I'm doubtful my 19 will be able to take it all. Here's my current setup:

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-img_3710-jpg

Here you see my Synapse 19, albeit canted to one side. Sorry folks, my iPhone acumen is sadly lacking. I have been trying and trying to figure out how to orient these things correctly for the past 20 minutes and have sadly given up. If it drives you batty, please feel free to ignore the thread. For those folks who stick around, you can see that the bag is pretty full.

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-card-pocket-2-jpg

Here is what's in the front small pocket. My cards are quite happy here.

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-fullsizerender-jpg

Behind it is my Flylady water bottle. It gets hot riding your bike in Florida, and I don't want to be thirsty during sessions. This is part of the problem with the fullness.

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-img_3711-jpg

I know. This is simply an awful photo that is upside down. Sorry. It shows what is contained in the bottom pocket, namely a piece of PVC (my student's "sound phone", blank cards for flash cards, an invisible ink pen for incentives, and a few tissues).

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-img_3712-jpg

One side of the bag has a size 1 Travel Stuff Sack that contains the letter tiles we are working on.

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-left-side-synapse-jpg

The other side contains various writing implements of the dry erase, Sharpie, pen, pencil, and stylus variety.

Thinking about buying a Synapse 25...-img_3716-jpg

Ugh. Another photo upside down. Oh well. This photo shows the rest of the contents of the bag, namely folders, texts, notebooks, a small dry erase board, and a Time Timer. I also keep my iPad in there, but it isn't in the photo.

I did just today order a smaller (3") Time Timer. That will save me a little space, but not enough, I think. I really like the compartmentalization that is offered by the Synapse, so that's why I'm thinking of 19's big brother, but I'm open to other ideas as well. Either way, I will need to save some money to get a bag for it for awhile, as I seem to be blowing through money a little fast for my comfort. Still, I want to continue to ride my bike and I don't want to have to carry more than one bag.

I do have a Western Flyer (with backpack straps) that I suppose could work for my intended purpose, but I really prefer to keep that as my general traveling luggage. I'm finding that as I go along in life, I really love having specific bags for specific purposes. My Pilot is my math teaching bag. My Swift is my knitting bag. My Side Effect travels from bag to bag. My SCB tends to be my summer out on the town bag. My Little Swifts pop in for a change of pace every now and then. It helps to keep me organized so I'm not having to find a place for my items. They just "live" in the bags in which they get carried around. That way I don't lose things. I wear a lot of hats currently, and this is what's keeping me sane at the moment.
    Last edited by Mausermama; 04-08-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both size Synapses. I commute by bike. I feel well equipped to say "go for it." You already know and like how the Synapse is organized, so adding a bigger bag won't be a hard transition or learning curve.
    I use the Synapse 25 when I have to make multiple stops and pick things up during the day. I use the 19 all other times.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use some of the large organizer pouches for your papers? Smaller ones may hold your flash cards, etc, in a flatter way than SSs, too.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Do you use some of the large organizer pouches for your papers? Smaller ones may hold your flash cards, etc, in a flatter way than SSs, too.
    I do use the Large Organizer Pouches, but with the 19 they don't fit quite as nicely. The only SS that I'm using is the size 1 currently, and it fits perfectly in the side pocket. I could move the flash cards to a medium OP. I hadn't thought about that possibility. I think I've got a spare one lying around. Good idea.

I'm used to working out of my own home. This commute business is new for me, and it's especially new doing something like this on my bike, but I am finding it's forcing me to really think carefully about the resources I will need. That's not a bad thing. It makes me a better prepared tutor.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the S25 is a great idea, and I second Rocks: you'll get used to it in no time because it's exactly like the 19, but bigger. Looking at the stuff you're carrying, perhaps the Freudian Slip could work well. You can pull out the whole shebang and it is probably faster to load up.

I like your nock pen case btw.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say I too like the FS!

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I love about the S25 is how well an SE or 3D organizer fits in it. I'm hankering for one too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side note: just in case Black/UV is your thing, I was told that there may be a run of Black (cordura)/UV S25s in early May, which is the next refresh period. *Very hopeful*

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Platypus might carry your water in a flatter shape. Or, you could try lashing your current bottle to the outside of the S19 somehow.

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of tutoring? Can you explain the sound-phone of PVC? Curious!

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    What kind of tutoring? Can you explain the sound-phone of PVC? Curious!
    Sure! I work with people who have dyslexia. The program I used is called Barton Reading and Spelling. It is an Orton-Gillingham based system of remediation. Dyslexia isn't a visual disorder, but rather is a neurological condition and is phonological in nature. The sound phone is something I use occasionally to help students better "hear" the sounds they say and better distinguish sounds. Most of the time it's not a necessary tool, but my younger kids really like how they talk to themselves, even in whispers, yet can hear very clearly what they are saying. I read about using it in a book that was focused on developing reading fluency, but at the moment I can't recall the title.

The students that I work with struggle mightily to read and spell, despite having at least normal and usually above normal intelligence. It's a true delight of mine to see them progress to becoming confident readers.

If you have a few minutes (about four) to watch the following video, I think it does a great job of explaining dyslexia for the lay person.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Side note: just in case Black/UV is your thing, I was told that there may be a run of Black (cordura)/UV S25s in early May, which is the next refresh period. *Very hopeful*
    Why, thank you! I love my Black/UV Little Swift. Right now I'm oohing and ahhing over the Olive/UV, but I don't know that that color is as flexible. I did note that there is a Grey/UV one as well. Can you tell I'm a UV lover?

I did move some things around today. I copied all the pages for the new text that my student will need, and what I had wasn't working. The large Organizing Pouch (UV, of course) is now housing all of her papers, the dry erase board, her notebook, my folder, and the clipboard. The green pocket folder will be staying at home now. It couldn't handle all of the paperwork.

Toronto, ON
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering a Synapse for my husband as a personal item when we go to Spain this summer. He would need to bring his medium format camera, a few packages of 120 film, possibly a water bottle, a moleskine, some chargers, and a couple odds and ends. Hopefully the bag would serve as a day bag while we are there or for weekends away. Not sure if I should go for S19 or S25....
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    I've been considering a Synapse for my husband as a personal item when we go to Spain this summer. He would need to bring his medium format camera, a few packages of 120 film, possibly a water bottle, a moleskine, some chargers, and a couple odds and ends. Hopefully the bag would serve as a day bag while we are there or for weekends away. Not sure if I should go for S19 or S25....
    I used my S19 in Europe, it was no problem as a personal item, under the seat and pretty much everywhere.
    I don't see any problem fitting the items you describe.

An S25 might look too big, check airlines requirements.

In Europe, everything is smaller than the U.S, so streamlining is not a bad idea.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make this for your water bottle and attach the whole thing to the two webbing loops on the S19. Or biner it onto your handle bars somehow. It's the skeletal version of the SA lower modular pocket. Stick Out Tongue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast