Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Over the River and Through the Woods
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pentel brushes that I use have water in them--they are so easy to use!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I did not even know such things existed. Off researching them...
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleEmmaRowena View Post
    Thank you so much for the input, everyone! And yes, @Ilkyway--beautiful pictures! I feel so inferior and I apologize for the terrible light (and table color!) in mine. The coffee shop is a poor excuse for a photo shoot environment. I love carrying my FJN in my co-pilot (mine is the twin of yours!), it fits so well. And do love the similar clean lines of the DLBC--though with my co-pilot I can't justify a bag that would fill the same niche for me.

@flaneuse, we definitely have several of the same tools. For anyone who is interested, the watercolor kit is a Winsor and Newton Pocket set, and it fits in the FJN perfectly! Also, the Pentel water brushes are amazing with the Crane paper from TB. I also have a Lamy in there (Al-Star), some Pigma Microns, pencils, and putty eraser. I found these nifty pencil caps at the art store a few years ago, and they work really well keeping my thicker pencils under control in the pencil pouch (e.g., 5B, 8B, etc.).

Something that I really love about the FJN is the ability to really easily have a little bit of everything that I need at my fingertips. I use the Avery dividers from Staples, and easily have four notebooks in one:
    Graph paper: writing knit/crochet/felting designs
    Lined paper with Washi tape ends: Commonplace, fun journal space
    Watercolor paper: illustrations, sketching
    Lined paper: fiction writing

It is ridiculous how compact and usable this set up it. In the past, I have found creative binder set ups to be too bulky to be useful--sort of the jack of all trades, master of none phenomena. Not so with the FJN! To answer my own question, I can't think of a reason to keep a second one around because this one works so well as an All-in-One! It is a horrible picture, but I wanted to show some Olive love--I think I have only seen one other green one posted. Attachment 11239Attachment 11240Attachment 11242
    Love, love, love your setup!

My EDC FJN has the same tabs and a variety of paper.

My writing FJN has pink/purple tabs from the same manufacturer and grid Rhodia A4/letter size paper folded and punched to fit, it is already almost full.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Thank you, I did not even know such things existed. Off researching them...
    @Ilkyway, I'm not certain, but I believe these are the Pentel brushes @LittleEmmaRowena was referencing. This or maybe this alternate link would be the corresponding links at the German Amazon site.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-14-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slight hijack, but for those of you that are artistic, what are your thoughts on something like Copic Sketch markers vs a portable water color kit like @LittleEmmaRowena's for someone like myself who has no drawing or painting talent whatsoever? I'd like to try some colored drawings during my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia this summer and would like to practice ASAP. Obviously it would be very basic drawings, but I'd really just like to add some color into my journal to represent what I see on my trips.

As far as paper, I'll have both a FJN and a MTN with me. What are the thoughts on the Crane paper for the FJN?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you heard of watercolor crayons? You use them like crayons and then use a "water " brush on it to get a watercolor effect.

Over the River and Through the Woods
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jennygoat, I am by no means a professional, but my experience with Copics are that they have a bit steeper of a learning curve to them than watercolors do. They are definitely beautiful, but they are also quite saturated and that makes them more difficult to control. Watercolors are much, much more forgiving. In particular, for sketching as an activity for the creation of a memory of a place (where the color and texture you are experiencing in the moment are so important), I would go with the water colors. Not only to you have more control over the application of color to the page, but you have infinitely more control over the actual color that you are using. Copics are generally quite expensive (something around $8 a marker is the cheapest I have ever found them), and they are relatively bulky. In my pictures here, I have about 18 of them and they almost totally fill a mesh 3D organizer. On the other hand, I was easily able to make a nice little ultra portable watercolor kit in an old mint tin for about $4. If you are interested in that, I can post of picture of it tomorrow.

I have included a couple of pictures of the bleed through that the Copic markers leave on the Crane paper, as well as a comparison of the size of the Crane paper vs. the MTN. As for your question regarding the Crane paper, I think that in the long run it is more economical for me to use watercolor paper that I simply cut to size and hole punch. The Crane paper is nice in terms of thickness and tooth, but I don't like the watermark that is front and center on so many of the pages. Also, for as thick as the paper feels, there have been several inks (some of my Copics included) that have not worked as well as I would have thought.

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1260-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1261-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1263-jpg
    Comparison of the Crane paper size to the MTN. I have seen some beautiful nature sketches in people's MTN as well.

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1269-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1270-jpg
    Back of the paper bleed--much more noticeable on the darker markers, but even the lighter ones leave a wet smudge.

Again---sorry for the picture quality--I just never seem to be at the right place at the right time for photos lately.
    Last edited by LittleEmmaRowena; 04-14-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: picture problems :(

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleEmmaRowena View Post
    @jennygoat, I am by no means a professional, but my experience with Copics are that they have a bit steeper of a learning curve to them than watercolors do. They are definitely beautiful, but they are also quite saturated and that makes them more difficult to control. Watercolors are much, much more forgiving. In particular, for sketching as an activity for the creation of a memory of a place (where the color and texture you are experiencing in the moment are so important), I would go with the water colors. Not only to you have more control over the application of color to the page, but you have infinitely more control over the actual color that you are using. Copics are generally quite expensive (something around $8 a marker is the cheapest I have ever found them), and they are relatively bulky. In my pictures here, I have about 18 of them and they almost totally fill a mesh 3D organizer. On the other hand, I was easily able to make a nice little ultra portable watercolor kit in an old mint tin for about $4. If you are interested in that, I can post of picture of it tomorrow.

I have included a couple of pictures of the bleed through that the Copic markers leave on the Crane paper, as well as a comparison of the size of the Crane paper vs. the MTN. As for your question regarding the Crane paper, I think that in the long run it is more economical for me to use watercolor paper that I simply cut to size and hole punch. The Crane paper is nice in terms of thickness and tooth, but I don't like the watermark that is front and center on so many of the pages. Also, for as thick as the paper feels, there have been several inks (some of my Copics included) that have not worked as well as I would have thought.

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1260-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1261-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1263-jpg
    Comparison of the Crane paper size to the MTN. I have seen some beautiful nature sketches in people's MTN as well.

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1269-jpg

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1270-jpg
    Back of the paper bleed--much more noticeable on the darker markers, but even the lighter ones leave a wet smudge.

Again---sorry for the picture quality--I just never seem to be at the right place at the right time for photos lately.
    Your pictures are very nice! Thank you for the explanation about Coptic markers, I was tempted by them but I thought that watercolor pencils were easier to store, learn to use and cheaper.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by jennygoat View Post
    Slight hijack, but for those of you that are artistic, what are your thoughts on something like Copic Sketch markers vs a portable water color kit like @LittleEmmaRowena's for someone like myself who has no drawing or painting talent whatsoever? I'd like to try some colored drawings during my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia this summer and would like to practice ASAP. Obviously it would be very basic drawings, but I'd really just like to add some color into my journal to represent what I see on my trips.

As far as paper, I'll have both a FJN and a MTN with me. What are the thoughts on the Crane paper for the FJN?
    I used Copic for many art projects in grade and high school. JM2C, but generally, markers require a bit more delicate handling because they don't blend. For me markers are to watercolour what charcoal/pencil is to pen: you have much little room (or none, in the case of pen drawings) for blending or smudging, which makes it harder to get down on paper something that resembles your subject if you don't allocate colour values carefully.

Copic pros:
    - Enormous range of colours
    - Doesn't fade
    - Has an all-clear blending marker that helps you dilute and blend colours a bit (it's the 'white' coloured marker)
    - Creates a nice clear watercolor-y effect
    - No smudging
    - Doesn't dry up if capped properly- I dug mine out after 5 years of hibernation before giving them away and they worked fine
    - Refillable!! (that's a big plus for me)

Cons:
    - $$$$$
    - They're much slimmer than they used to be, but still take up a lot of space
    - Not as bright as Zig markers
    - Alcohol smell
    - Bleeds through

As a compromise, you may want to check out Zig Clean Colour Real Brush pens. I have the non-water colour version of these, and if those are anything to go by, the range is good and colours very bright! And they are very slim and portable. Plus Real Brush lets you blend colours and use a water brush, too :-)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-15-2015 at 05:43 AM.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @LittleEmmaRowena and @adalangdon Thanks for the pics and thorough descriptions! I also have a mesh 3DOP that will be here tomorrow meant for carrying markers and such for my two journals. Those Copics do seem to take up a HUGE amount of space. I like the slimmer profile of the ZIGs, I think I'll combine both offers of advice and test out the watercolor kit with the water pen/brush and a few of the Zig markers.

Also @LittleEmmaRowena, I'd love to see your little kit it in the mint tin if you have time! Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4