Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Over the River and Through the Woods
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook

Hello fine forum people! I have a quick question for those FJN lovers out there. I know that we have had a few threads here and there discussing various uses of the notebook--from planners, artists, knitters, etc.--but I haven't been able to find a thread that gathers all of that information in one place. So I wanted to send out a call for people to post a quick picture of their notebook in use, and we can start a collection of various ways in which we all use this inherently very personal 'bag'. (This sort of echoes Darcy's post a while back asking if there was anyone willing to share their artwork. I know that in the Journaling, Sketching, etc. post there have been some great pictures that @adalangdon has shared--but I felt that they were getting lost in the knitting talk, and that the thread was by no means FJN specific.)

I also have an ulterior motive behind this thread as well--particularly in light of the FJN being retired. I am wondering how many people have multiple FJNs and what their various uses are within one household. Are there a number of us with more than one FJN user in a home? Individual owners of more than one FJN? Before they are gone for good, I just wanted to gather up all of the great ideas that users of the forum always have for specific products--just to make sure that none of us 'need' a second FJN before it is too late.

And of course, to reward readers for making it through this long-winded post--a picture. I have just started taking up sketching/painting (mostly because of the FJN!), and so I have a nice little artist setup in addition to using the notebook for research and fiction writing. Multiple Uses of the Field Journal Notebook-img_1236-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that is so cute. +100!!! I don't have an aptitude for drawing cute stuff so that's really awesome.

Have shared all the post-worthy pics already; my FJN is not looking very nice now. I've put away all my completed drawings in an Avery 5.5x8.5 ring folder and my FJN now is pretty much my "Surviving Corporate Insolvency Law" notebook now. Great, right? If you were to ask me "what can I use this thing for", I would honestly answer with "anything you want".
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-10-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Morgantown
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on using mine (when it gets here) for my planner and class notes. Since I incorporate some Sketchnotes into my notetaking, I suppose you could also say I'm using it for drawing as well.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine everyday as notebook. Not special, but I love it.
    During a scavenger hunt with riddles the FJN gave a great performance. Wink

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an adorable illustration! I use my FJN for my sketches and water colors. I think I have the same little watercolor kit as you, actually. It's getting late here, so I'll try to take some pics and update my post in the AM. What I love best is that my FJN holds all my supplies, can be used as a standalone bag, or fit in any of my larger TB bags.

I use other journals for other note/list/task making aspects of my life.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had drawing talent! Right now my FJN is being used as a log book for my knitting projects. If something has a chart, I will include that on grid paper behind the entry page.

In another section of the journal I keep my sermon notes. Our church is great in that they publish them on the paper that fits in the journal, already hole punched!

For a little while I tried using it for my regular lists, but I found that it was a little awkward, because I like to take my lists with me everywhere, and I don't like to carry my journal with me along with everything else, so I reverted to using a Moleskine for that. I may change my mind later, but the FJN was just a little too new for me to use up the paper with scratch notes like "pick up the drycleaning."

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great picture and idea for a thread! I would like to see comics with a character like this.

I agree with you that it would be useful to brainstorm uses for multiple FJNs within a household before they get discontinued forever.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one "old" stile and ordered too that are noz here jet. To be honest I truly NEEDED onley one but could not restst the new zipper stile and the great colors.

How am I planing to use them?

1. Will be the Hous-binder: it will contain all hous-relevant infos as the trash-calender, the manuals for washingmashine etc. insirence information, adresses of the plummer etc. In short all this infos in one place.
    2. the second will be my planer. Since there are different advanteges for ring-planer versus Midori-stile planer I tent to go back and forth between the two systems. So one will be ready to do planner duty.
    3. the third will be an art-travel-kitt for my girls. They will have do take turns with it but it will work out fine after an initial fight over it.

When they are all here and set up I will of cause post pictures.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    1. Will be the Hous-binder: it will contain all hous-relevant infos as the trash-calender, the manuals for washingmashine etc. insirence information, adresses of the plummer etc. In short all this infos in one place.
    I take care of the paperwork here... so I am interested in this! The manuals are normally A4, no? Are you going to punch the shorter length, or... ?

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some are actually A5. The A4 once I punch on one short side and than fold them over so that I can "open" them to read without taking them out.

Edit: that is what you meant too, right?
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkyway - so droll! "After an initial fight over it!" How old are your girls?

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 6, 7 and 14 year old girls. The small two do fight a bit... Sometimes...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister never outgrew it. She'll soon be 56 and doesn't speak to me or our 4 brothers/spouses. Your girls sound delightful, and you seem like a cool mom!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a FJN and one on backorder. My first one is for work and I love how it can hold supplies I need and can be carried an a separate bag. It has been working so well that I ordered another one. The backordered FJN will be for home. I am going to use as a log book/diary but I am not sure if I will be consistent enough. I love my iPhone for keeping track of my life but I do like writing.

Having the journal has made me reconsider my bag options, I have ordered a Swift (home) and now debating the Pilot (work). The TB collection keeps growing!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Some are actually A5. The A4 once I punch on one short side and than fold them over so that I can "open" them to read without taking them out.

Edit: that is what you meant too, right?
    Yep. Sigh, why are nearly all my microwave, washing machine, etc. manuals all A4 :< (Answer: so that I don't brainfart one day and order another FJN) I punched the short side of my field trip itinerary and folded it in half (as you said) to store in my FJN. It works fine for a few sheets but when I have several sheets to fold in half it gets kind bulky.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast