Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Anyone Want a Cache Lite?

In my never ending quest to carry less and lighten my load I just received my new Pilot yesterday. Like all Tom Bihn products it's thoughtfully designed and impeccably built. I have it packed as a briefcase for a business trip to San Antonio next week. So far it looks great and I think it will be a fantastic bag in just about the smallest package I can manage.

Along with the Pilot I purchased a Cache for my 11" MacBook Air. We have three other Caches in my house so I know how effective they are in protecting your Mac, but it comes at the expense of space. The Cache, especially with the flap tucked in, isn't exactly svelte. With my bag pretty full I would welcome a thinner Cache that would sacrifice some protection while freeing up space in my bag. Perhaps such a Cache Lite could be made with padded material half the thickness of the 6mm material now used.

I have an ultra thin sleeve from Waterfield Designs that is a great product, but I'd like something with just a bit more padding and that works with the Tom Bihn rails system. Is a Cache Lite of interest to anyone else here? Although I'd prefer to buy a Tom Bihn product, is there something like what I'm looking for available in the market?

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Case Logic might have something to fit. I find them to be quite svelte and nicely padded.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    In my never ending quest to carry less and lighten my load I just received my new Pilot yesterday. Like all Tom Bihn products it's thoughtfully designed and impeccably built. I have it packed as a briefcase for a business trip to San Antonio next week. So far it looks great and I think it will be a fantastic bag in just about the smallest package I can manage.

Along with the Pilot I purchased a Cache for my 11" MacBook Air. We have three other Caches in my house so I know how effective they are in protecting your Mac, but it comes at the expense of space. The Cache, especially with the flap tucked in, isn't exactly svelte. With my bag pretty full I would welcome a thinner Cache that would sacrifice some protection while freeing up space in my bag. Perhaps such a Cache Lite could be made with padded material half the thickness of the 6mm material now used.

I have an ultra thin sleeve from Waterfield Designs that is a great product, but I'd like something with just a bit more padding and that works with the Tom Bihn rails system. Is a Cache Lite of interest to anyone else here? Although I'd prefer to buy a Tom Bihn product, is there something like what I'm looking for available in the market?
    Without a doubt, yes! I also have a Pilot and it is a great laptop bag. For me it is better than the Cadet and also the DLBC. However, with the cache and the top flap a good portion of the useable capacity is gone. A thin cache like the Waterfield sleeve would be most welcome!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pilot and iPad Air Cache arrived yesterday. I'm in the same boat. The Cache is great....I have a vertical one as well....but it takes up a ton of room. I have a bicycle friend who makes bike bags. I might just see if he can make me a simple sleeve with the straps on the back.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not used a Cache, so I cannot compare the thickness, but I have been extremely impressed with a Be.ez laptop case I have for my 13 inch MacBook Pro. Amazon.com: be.ez 100572 LA robe Sleeve for 13.3-Inch Macbooks (Black/Wasabi): Computers & Accessories

It offers real protection in a reasonably thin package. Having just seen one of the brand new MacBooks in person though, those are so unbelievably thin, it may be difficult to find the perfect svelte yet protective case.

ETA: I just added the first link I saw, but the be.ez laptop sleeves can be found for much less.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 05-02-2015 at 08:13 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller