1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to buy FJN insides?

So a question for veteran FJN users here-- aside from buying the refills from Tom Bihn, where do you buy the "insides" for your FJN? I am especially looking for a good online resource for ruled paper as well as thick paper that can stand up to watercolor and ink. There aren't any good stationary stores near me, so online is key.

And out of curiosity-- does anyone buy planner calendars for the inside of the their FJN? And from what companies?

I just got my FJN in red blend and it's so pretty. I plan to use it for multiple things and I am super excited!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Field Journal inserts are not international standard paper size, but they are very close to A5 size, so I would look up A5 paper refills and buy a 3 hole punch. That's what I'm doing. I have A4 Tomoe River paper that I cut in half to make it A5, and got a hole punch. Now I can make my own inserts.
    Last edited by Rocks; 05-11-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased DIYFish Life Mapping Inserts from Etsy for a planner. I absolutely love the setup. Keep in mind, it does require a good bit of printing and scoring (I purchased an inexpensive Fiskers paper cutter from a craft store). It's a PDF, but she offers several different customizable options as well.

As far as paper inserts, Moleskine Volants seem to be just about the right size paper. I'm personally not adverse to cutting down a full sheet. I do, however, think that there are daytimer inserts (A5) that should fit perfectly.

Enjoy your FJN! I'm loving my BO and can't wait to test it out on my summer classes!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a page into office max and you should be able to find paper that will work.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find paper both lined and blank as well as dividers, pockets, zip envelopes at the Day Planners, Refills & Calendars | Day-Timer site. Their Desk size is the 8.5 x 5.5 size. You can also find dividers, pockets etc by Avery at Staples or online at Amazon. I have a lot of stuff left over from when I used that size Day-Timer and it all works very well in my FJN.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done daily calender pages in Exel print them out on A4 and cut them in half. I like to fiddle with the layouts myself. But am by no means as good as DIYFish for example. But I tent to change planersystem mid year and I find pre-dated ones to expencive for that. Mine are always undated, so that I can come back and use them again without any gabs.

Ilkyway

PS: there are so many printables out there. Think about undated ones if you are a bit undecidet like I am.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All half letter size refills work.

Three-punch 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper (that's exactly half of an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet).

Tips on making cheap lined pages:
    printer paper (you choose the weight) and line generator from Free Online Graph Paper / Writing Grid Paper PDFs

You can print one or two examples (landscape mode) and print the rest of the printer paper at a print shop. Then, use their guillotine (big paper cutter) to cut in half the stack of printed paper. After that, modify a standard letter size 3 holes punch, to punch half size paper.

A printer can do all of the above things for you or you can print lined paper with your own printer, a little at a time.

For Watercolor:
    Canson Watercolor, cold press, 300g paper is available as a 5.5 x 8.5 inches wirebound notepad, it is perforated so the pages can be removed neatly.
    Canson Montval Watercolor Pads - BLICK art materials

The notepad with all its pages, fits inside, a very full, zipped up FJN.

The 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper size is "Size 4" from Day Runner and the "Desk" size by Day-Timer, so you can use all the organization tools from those systems with the TOM BIHN Field Journal Notebook.

I use Avery Dividers, then for quick notes, plain printer paper folded, in half, landscape style, then punched. It makes a double page.
    For Journaling and calendar, I use grid Rhodia letter size paper which is given the same treatment as the plain paper.

For special notes, I use the most wonderful paper, offered by TB: 100 sheets of Neenah Conservation paper — it's 100% recycled graph grid, printed on both sides.

I have been accumulating the former and will most probably do the same thing with the 100 blank sheets of Crane's Crest 24# 100% cotton paper, also offered by TB.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-11-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidentally, TB will continue selling inserts for some time.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But having a punch to turn near to any paper in the "right" paper is a sort of freedom I would not want to miss. Than you can cut deviders from cartboard and punch them.
    You can make foulders so you can slip in papers you do not want to punch or on the go.
    You even can punch what ever full size format paper you have on the small side and fould it in half than, so that you can carry foul sized documents with you.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need a new punch. Mine is (I thought) heavy-duty with a big lever and metallic hardware and a plastic holder to catch the dots. But the levers have rusted in place or gotten stuck, so I can't adjust it easily. Or maybe it needs some WD-40 spray. I am one of those people who ends up with hole punches misaligned or on the edge of the paper unless it is perfectly set up.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I think I need a new punch. Mine is (I thought) heavy-duty with a big lever and metallic hardware and a plastic holder to catch the dots. But the levers have rusted in place or gotten stuck, so I can't adjust it easily. Or maybe it needs some WD-40 spray. I am one of those people who ends up with hole punches misaligned or on the edge of the paper unless it is perfectly set up.
    I had an old metal punch laying around at work collecting dust. Brought it home, took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly with WD-40. Luckily, it was adjustable from a standard size 3 punch to a half size.

This one has 7 places for the punch, and at first I assumed that it would punch using holes 2, 4 and 6. However, once I got my FJN I realized that my punch actually used holes 1, 3 and 5 for the correct alignment. May not be the same for all hole punches, but I was VERY glad I waited to have my FJN in hand before I punched all my DIYFIsh pages.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    But having a punch to turn near to any paper in the "right" paper is a sort of freedom I would not want to miss. Than you can cut deviders from cartboard and punch them.
    You can make foulders so you can slip in papers you do not want to punch or on the go.
    You even can punch what ever full size format paper you have on the small side and fould it in half than, so that you can carry foul sized documents with you.

Ilkyway
    Not gonna do this any more than I'm going to cook, lol! I have so much stuff, and no where to put it or work with it! In my past I'd have done it myself, just like I cooked/baked my own bread, etc. My DIY stuff is knitting, writing, hopefully back into art, and the like. For me, finding time to do those things while my energy level is good is nigh impossible.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the FJN as a calendar. I use a calendar that is 5.5 x 8.5inches. It fits great but I don't put in the whole year. I think I do like 5-8 months. I think I found it from the description in the FJN description page.

Amazon.com : Day-Timer Classic Desk-Size Daily Planner Refill 2015, 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Page Size (12010) : Office Products

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my old Swingline punch and was able to adjust with a screwdriver the dies so that it cuts in the right spacing for the FJN, yay! Except that in order to get the paper flush against one end of the punch, to help with stacking, the holes end up getting placed a few millimeters off-kilter with respect to the center of the notebook. So all my self-punched papers stick up or down a few mm from the nicely centered pre-punched papers. Overall, though, this works.

My Swingline punch has five holes, a center hole, and five more holes. For punching for FJN I have the dies positioned on holes 1, 5, and 7, analogous to what @jennygoat described for symmetry.

Any suggestions for perfecting the relative positioning would be appreciated but I don't see a way to do it with this particular hole punch and still preserve the alignment as I described.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I have letter size binders, I decided not to modify my run of the mill 3 holes punch for letter size paper.

I found a seven holes punch at a local store but decided that I didn't like my pages punched that much.
    I then found out that 2 holes punch, used twice, the middle hole is punched twice and used as guide, makes for a relatively fast way to replenish my stash of pages for everyday use.

Punching a couple of pages in the evening is a nice ritual.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-11-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast