Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians

I play the dulcimer, and all of the little plastic bags that hold my picks, capos, noters, etc., keep falling apart and causing the contents to roll around in my dulcimer case pocket. I finally realized, hey, I've got all of these Tom Bihn doodads that I've been collecting--surely one of them will work. Realized that the Clear Organizer Pouch could do the trick. It's sturdy, see through, and won't fall apart. I'm still a bit of a Tom Bihn newbie, so non-trip uses for things are only startling to trickle into my mind.

Of course, this means that I'm going to have to buy another one....

On my wish list is a Tom Bihn bag that would hold my foldable metal stand (long and skinny, already in it's own bag), my small wood footstool (not too large, but a little heavy) and my music notebooks. I don't think that the Synapse would work--I've tried it in one of my current backpacks, and it is fairly awkward. I know that they'll probably never make a musician's bag--too many different sized instruments, and too many differing needs, but I can always dream.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokosmom View Post
    On my wish list is a Tom Bihn bag that would hold my foldable metal stand (long and skinny, already in it's own bag), my small wood footstool (not too large, but a little heavy) and my music notebooks. I don't think that the Synapse would work--I've tried it in one of my current backpacks, and it is fairly awkward. I know that they'll probably never make a musician's bag--too many different sized instruments, and too many differing needs, but I can always dream.
    You're referring to the S19? Assuming you've considered the other backpacks, just wondering why they don't fit the bill?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the dimensions of the stand when in its bag and the footstool? Does the footstool fold?

Have you looked at the Smart Alec or Brain Bag? They are bigger than the Synapses.

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will measure the stands today and see whether they are doable. The Brain Bag, etc. may be the right length, but I'm not sure whether they'd be suited to such odd shaped things.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My music stand, when taken apart and in its bag, is 23 inches long. That's too long for any of the TB bags, unfortunately.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about strapped to the outside of the Smart Alec?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My music stand, when taken apart and in its bag, is 23 inches long. That's too long for any of the TB bags, unfortunately.
    Wow, that's long. Seems like it may be too long for most 'normal' urban use backpacks. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the dulcimer, but is it possible to downsize your stand? I'm assuming it's a stand for sheet music. The foldable stands we used in the orchestra (I was a violinist) would definitely fit in a S19, but we didn't need ours to be big.

Would you be able to manage with one that would fit into a regular backpack around 19" tall? I reckon that if your stand is shorter, it would fit into a Brain Bag along with your other stuff, if you want a TB bag.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-09-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Housing your stand case in Tripod - Lighting Kit Quivers - Tripod bag or lighting kit bag for use with the Camera I-O - TOM BIHN clipping it to the waist strap of the S19, S25, Smart Alec or BB (if your are ok with it dangling low) or the grab handle of each bag via Double Carabiner: A handy part with many uses. Also used to connect our Knitting Tool Pouches. Or, Tactical Link: High strength polymer attachment device. Saves weight compared to metal carabiners. Textured grip for use with wet/gloved hands. Won't clip to o-rings, but will clip on most exterior webbing loops and handles of our bags. Both can be found here Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would the NFTD work in some way? And, while not sure about the footstool, would the swift hold things if the music stand was attached parallel to the opening - lengthwise across the top?

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of short, foldable music stand do you have adalangdon? Mine is the generic, $10 cheapo stand that high school students use.

The NFTD isn't long enough and neither are the lighting Kit Quivers, sadly. However, I've never really looked at the NFTD before--it has now been added to my wishlist for an overnight bag. I just bought an Aeronaut 45 a few months ago--it's really too big for overnight or weekend trips, but the NFTD might do the trick without springing for an Aeronaut 30. Which doesn't solve my music problem, but hey, I can schlep the stuff in a bag once a week.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of short, foldable music stand do you have adalangdon? Mine is the generic, $10 cheapo stand that high school students use.

The NFTD isn't long enough and neither are the lighting Kit Quivers, sadly. However, I've never really looked at the NFTD before--it has now been added to my wishlist for an overnight bag. I just bought an Aeronaut 45 a few months ago--it's really too big for overnight or weekend trips, but the NFTD might do the trick without springing for an Aeronaut 30. Which doesn't solve my music problem, but hey, I can schlep the stuff in a bag once a week.

Mine was given away years ago, sorry. It was like this, though. I remember carrying it in my bag, which about as tall as the S25. There was definitely leftover vertical space.

The NFTD won't fit any of your stuff, guaranteed. The bag has 3 sections, the combined length of which is 17". The biggest compartment is like a cube and won't even fit a regular ipad!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an LL Bean boat and tote bag, with the long handles. It carries my large music books and a couple of large three ring binders. I slide the books all to the left side and my heavy music stand slips standing up into the space on the right side. The music stand extends beyond the bag, but stays put.

My picks, tuner, kazoo and misc items go into a 3DOC. I use a 16 inch key strap to slip it over the handle of the boat and tote. The 3DOC will go on either the inside or outside hanging from the handle.

When the boat and tote is loaded, it is quite heavy. It slips over one shoulder, with the music stand to the rear, and is quite comfortable.

The Swift is the only TB tote style bag and I have considered it for this use, but I don't own one yet. If the music stand was secured to the straps with a key strap, I think it would work. It would be much more organized than the boat and tote, so I think it would be preferable. Looking forward to trying it one day. elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Yokosmom, At 23", your foldable music stand definitely seems on the long side. My old, cheap, foldable music stand, of similar variety to the sort @adalangdon mentions, is 17" long when folded. Even in the old Carrying Laptop, Flute, Music Binder, Music Stand, Lunch, Jacket & Gloves thread from last year, the poster's folding stand was 20" long.

You can actually use the larger size tripod quiver as @backpack suggests, and carry the stand inside it using a strap to carry the bag cross-body. I simulated this by pulling the two parts of my folding music stand further apart to a total of 23" in length, and inserting it into the larger Tri-Pod Quiver. The top of the stand sticks out about an inch and a half (38 mm) above the top of the larger quiver, but because the Tri-Pod quiver is designed similar to the Travel Tray, with a collar that flips up and then pulls tight with a drawstring, as shown in this product page image:
    Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians-tripod-lighting-kit-quiver-360mm-d03_1024x1024-jpg

The simulated 23" long music stand looks like this in the longer Tripod Quiver:
    Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians-img_1409-jpg

I've attached a Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) strap to the side of the bag, which seems the most comfortable way to wear this cross-body (bandolier-style), since there is padding along the length of the Q-AM strap (note, this is a hacked version where I transferred the Triglides and end snaphooks from one of my Absolute Straps to the end of the Q-AM strap webbing, so I could attach the strap onto the holes for the shoulder strap). If I were to wear this tripod quiver + music stand cross-body along with a backpack like the Smart Alec, I'd switch the strap to the OP/TECH Mini S.O.S. strap, which is easier to slip on in combination with the backpack straps.

I'm not sure how you intend to carry things together with your dulcimer; aren't most dulcimers about 34" long (e.g., too big to fit into most of the backpacks). There are companies that make custom dulcimer bags that you might look into.

HTH

moriond

Bye the way, do you think I could edit the thread title to something like "Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians"?. The current thread subject is somewhat misleading in terms of the actual discussion points.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-07-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added in recovered original product page image of Tripod Quiver

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I lost track of my own thread and didn't realize that I was still getting answers. Yes, moriond if you could edit the thread title to "Clear Organizer Pouch and Bag Use for Musicians" it may help other people interested in this topic. Regarding dulcimer cases--I do have a case for the instrument, and it also has a pocket, which is where I'm keep the the COP, extra strings, etc. Regarding the other suggestions... I'd really prefer to not have to carry the stand cross body. I'll already be carrying a long dulcimer case (usually a double dulcimer case), and a purse. I'm mulling Pokilani 's suggestion about strapping to the SA. Would the webbing/bungee cord things on the back of the SA be able to hold a narrow stand holder or tripod quiver?