Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmey View Post
    Hm, not sure how to make them show in the post - can you see them if you click on the attachments?
    Nope - but I'm on my smart phone (as always). Perhaps others can see.
    Wow! I wasn't expecting so many responses!

Re: the SA, one of the few requirements I have for my OBTRTA (One Bag To Rule Them All ) is that it not be a top-loader, as I am a fairly disorganized person, and compounding that with a heavy dose of impatience and a dash of neuroticism, I like to be able to re-pack quickly and see easily that I haven't forgotten anything Packing cubes help, but I can't do a top-loader. This is one of the reasons I was so drawn to the layout of the A30 - clothes and toiletries in the center, shoes/ipad on one end, purse with supplements on the other end. Test packing in this manner still left room in each compartment. But my neck waaaah.

Honestly, trying it again, it's not as terrible as my first impression. I was able to loosen the straps to a balance point where it's not rubbing my neck raw, but TBH it's still not something I'd want to carry around for more than 10 minutes. I find myself doing the thumb-tuck, hoisting it forward and off my shoulders. Even paring down the load a bit, it feels heavy very quickly.

I think it might come down to the width of the straps at the top because the A30 straps are both too close to my neck and also resting right on the joint where my clavicle meets my shoulder.

Some photos in case it helps anyone. My Osprey bag also for reference.
    Attachment 12077Attachment 12079Attachment 12078

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, not sure how to make them show in the post - can you see them if you click on the attachments?
    When I click on the link, I get an invalid attachment error message.

Can you try to insert the image into your post?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a Western Flyer, then? dorayme likes hers and she is 5'2" - ish, IIRC.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but TBH it's still not something I'd want to carry around for more than 10 minutes. I find myself doing the thumb-tuck, hoisting it forward and off my shoulders. Even paring down the load a bit, it feels heavy very quickly.

Same here with both my WF and A30. WF fits better length-wise, my back measures ~ 17". The A30 rides ok if one slouches and I'm finding this problem with a lot of packs these days..... If I stand properly they don't fit at all.
    Both bags are uncomfortable for me with more than 12lbs in them. The sternum straps help somewhat. I haven't tried the hip strap yet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain Emmey - I'm 5' as well and have problems finding a pack that fits. I did try the SA and it was too long for me - I find packs most comfortable when they aren't bumping against my tailbone. I seem to have the most luck with packs 18" long at the most. For now I am limited to TB accessories and things like the copilot and MCB.

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should try the waist strap with the A30. It will take some of the weight off your shoulders, and you shouldn't have to cinch it up so much. (And "waist" strap is a bit of a misnomer--it should fit around your hips.)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to move my reply to your question from the "The joys of being small when one bagging it!" thread to your thread:

Do you happen to know your torso length? I recently ordered an A30 thinking that at 5'2.5" (yes, that half inch is worth mentioning ), I'd be ok since I've seen a few reviews from women 5'4" and under. Now I'm wondering if I just have a freakishly short torso though, because I could not get comfortable in the A30 with the shoulder straps cinched all the way - pulled at my neck. REI measured my torso at just under 16".
    I wonder what makes a backpack work for some people of similar height, but not others.

You asked for my torso length, but here are my measurements for comparison.

I'm 5'0" with torso ~ 16.5" and shoulder width ~ 16".

The S19 and SA are comfortable for long periods of time. I have no experience with other TB bags.
    Last edited by FrozenJ; 06-12-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what went wrong with my last post but the preview of this one looks good -

Petite person's take on the A30-tbfront-jpgPetite person's take on the A30-tb-side-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ha. photos.

I'm not hearing from a lot of folks with a sub-16" torso so I guess maybe I am just freakishly short in my upper half (and offers a little insight into why petite pants are always a smidge too short for me). My understanding of the waist strap is that it is meant only to stabilize the load and not to be weight-bearing. I tried walking up and down 2 flights of stairs in my building in each bag and unfortunately it looks like the Osprey is the winner, if only for narrower shoulder straps and a weight-bearing hipbelt. I'm really sad about it. I'm still shocked that the A30 seems to carry the same, if not more, than the Osprey (38L). If TB ever considered limited runs of shorter-torso bags I'd be all over it. Ah well. At least my TB packing cubes fit in the Osprey!

If TB is listening, an optional weight-bearing hip-belt, narrower straps, and having the shoulder straps attach lower to the bag (thereby hoisting the load up higher) would be awesome.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ha. photos.

I'm not hearing from a lot of folks with a sub-16" torso so I guess maybe I am just freakishly short in my upper half (and offers a little insight into why petite pants are always a smidge too short for me). My understanding of the waist strap is that it is meant only to stabilize the load and not to be weight-bearing. I tried walking up and down 2 flights of stairs in my building in each bag and unfortunately it looks like the Osprey is the winner, if only for narrower shoulder straps and a weight-bearing hipbelt. I'm really sad about it. I'm still shocked that the A30 seems to carry the same, if not more, than the Osprey (38L). If TB ever considered limited runs of shorter-torso bags I'd be all over it. Ah well. At least my TB packing cubes fit in the Osprey!

If TB is listening, an optional weight-bearing hip-belt, narrower straps, and having the shoulder straps attach lower to the bag (thereby hoisting the load up higher) would be awesome.
    I think that the sternum strap and the hip belt are help distribute the weight, in some way they are shifting the weight bearing load. I used both with my Brain Bag.

By the way, you have to try the A30 loaded, I had all kind of weight distribution problems when I test packed my Brain Bag and Synapse empty. After they were filled with test packing items or EDC, they were very comfortable.
    Just saying.

Very nice pictures!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think that the sternum strap and the hip belt are help distribute the weight, in some way they are shifting the weight bearing load. I used both with my Brain Bag.

By the way, you have to try the A30 loaded, I had all kind of weight distribution problems when I test packed my Brain Bag and Synapse empty. After they were filled with test packing items or EDC, they were very comfortable.
    Just saying.

Very nice pictures!
    It's got 11 lbs of small-person clothes, toiletries, shoes etc. That's what I'm saying about it having a surprising amount of room! I don't want a full bag though, so I can bring some things home.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Same here with both my WF and A30. WF fits better length-wise, my back measures ~ 17". The A30 rides ok if one slouches and I'm finding this problem with a lot of packs these days..... If I stand properly they don't fit at all.
    Both bags are uncomfortable for me with more than 12lbs in them. The sternum straps help somewhat. I haven't tried the hip strap yet.
    I actually noticed that in my pics (I also took some of myself in the Osprey I didn't post) - I am slouching when I wear the A30, I think my subconscious method of hoisting it more upward and forward.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Emmey if you don't mind my asking... What did you wind up doing? I'm struggling with the same issues I think.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi DeBru,

Sorry for the late response - I ended up with the Osprey bag (Farpoint 40) and loved it. It was comfortable enough on 45min-1 hour long urban walks through cities to our various hotels, and up a billion stairs in medieval, pedestrian-only zones, that the only thing that would have been more comfortable, really, would have been no bag at all.

Anyone who is concerned about the weight of their bag should make getting a bag with a weight-bearing hip-belt their number 1 priority (well, after obviously packing light!)

My bag weighed 13 lbs (my husband took all our chargers and first aid kit). I know that sounds like nothing, but I'm short and have no upper body strength, and have a nerve problem in my shoulder that is exacerbated by even a purse with a small bottle of water in it, so being able to carry even this much on my own and not schlep a rolling case over 1000 year old cobblestoned streets was awesome. I could not have done it without a hip-belt.

The S/M Farpoint fit me really well. As far as the layout of the bag goes, it's not my favorite as the front "organizer" (ha) section is pretty useless, as are the water bottle pockets. I would have 100% preferred the A30 for organization (and looks) if it had fit and had a weight-bearing hip-belt. But the main section is totally open and with packing cubes, was just fine.

My advice would be to 1) get measured at your REI or sporting goods store, 2) order every bag you think might fit based on your torso measurement, and 3) do a test pack at home and then walk up and down 5 flights of stairs in your packed bag.

TB please make a bag with a weight-bearing hip belt!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Petite person's take on the A30-img_8381-jpgPetite person's take on the A30-img_8385-pngI had a request to post comparison photos of the osprey bag so here they are. Aside from the hip belt, the most obvious difference for me is the placement, width and shape of the shoulder straps, and the load lifters which were surprisingly helpful. Lastly the nice thing about the hip belt was that when my shoulders did get tired, I could tighten the hip belt a little higher on my hips, which would sort of lift the shoulder straps off my shoulders. This method causes some bag wobblyness but was helpful for me when I was having nerve pain in my shoulder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast