Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Spiff Kit as a First Aid bag?

Hi all! Just wondering:

A) has anyone tried using a SK for a First Aid Bag? and

B) how about any other TB bag?

I'm thinking family/small group size here. I already use a small dbl organizer pouch as a personal FA kit, but I need something to better organize my family FA kit that sometimes goes with me on Scout Trips. I've used a tackle box and ammo box in the past, but those are a little too bulky for carry and don't pack well. A tackle box has a little too much interior organization, and an ammo box has none. I think I need somewhere in the middle.

I've also looked as small soft sided purpose built bags but they seem too flimsy for what I need.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!

CH

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what you want to carry, but I have a PCSB as a FAK that comes along when our family goes out of town, especially out to the lake. The PCSB is good for sliding in and out of bigger bags easily, and mine is in Iberian so it's hard to miss. I use small and medium clear OPs inside to organize things.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Clear Qtr Pack Cube in Iberian for our home FA kit, and a 3DCOC (also Iberian) as a travel FA kit. I like the clear window because I can see what's on each side but don't have to open it to check (as opposed to a Q-kit, say). Also the shape of the "cubes" lends itself more to odd shapes like a roll of tape or box of Band-aids, vs. a flat Org Pouch.

One of these days I will get a second CQPC to be our upstairs FA kit, so we don't have to run downstairs for stuff. (We do have FA stuff upstairs, but it is scattered between various medicine cabinets.)

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Iberian 3DOC for a portable first aid kit.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one as a combo: one small lower compartment firest aid, the other cables for phone and mp3 plus car and wall plugs and the upper large compartmebt for all the little things women have spilling over the pavement when their handbags get knocked over in films.

To mark this Spiff Kitt as a first aid I have attached an iberian keystrap with a red Tom Bihn whissle so that it is easily spottet.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I use one as a combo: one small lower compartment firest aid, the other cables for phone and mp3 plus car and wall plugs and the upper large compartmebt for all the little things women have spilling over the pavement when their handbags get knocked over in films.

To mark this Spiff Kitt as a first aid I have attached an iberian keystrap with a red Tom Bihn whissle so that it is easily spottet.

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway, you never fail to make me smile! (The purse spilling comment is priceless!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I got one in Iberian, ordered a refill FA set from eBay, and it works beautifully. It's larger than the 3D cube but smaller than the CQPC. A Goldilocks if you will. I've already had one occasion to use it on the road, so I'm glad I got myself organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we (6) were kids in the 60s/70s, we camped all over the US. Dad had an old army 1st aid kit, kept under the front passenger seat. The only thing we ever used from it that I remember was mercurochrome/merthiolate. We had bandaids in mom's cosmetic case. One time we passed a group fishing and someone had gotten a fishhook caught right next to his eye (long before cell phones/911). Dad used his pocket knife and performed "surgery". To this day, I travel with bandaids and hand sanitizer (which is alcohol based). Of course I don't have kids, but it's all I've ever needed.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks y'all! I hadn't considered the CQPC. I'll have to mull that over. The response time and thoughtfulness of these forums is unreal! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the fabric OC.

Forum Member
    Okanagan Valley, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Spiff Kit would probably make an ideal small First Aid kit, as it appears to have a reasonable amount of room, and the two sections would allow separation for different functions. For example, one side could hold minor wound treatment items. The hook may also be useful as you'd be able to hang it up and have all the supplies visible (through the mesh of course).

It's a similar design to this product - MEC First Aid Bag - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duster just to clarify: both Spiff Kitts have three mesh compartments one abput the sice of the closed Kit on the top (when open) and two on the botten. And than there is kind of a fourth compartment when you close the bag, between the two halfs of the bag, I hope that makes sence.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Band-Aids are definitely useful all the time, whether or not I have kids with me. I try to bring at least a couple of the flexible fabric knuckle/fingertip ones with me in my EDC. And of course I always have a tiny Swiss knife with me.

House kit, in an Iberian CQPC:

harayablu

Side 1, L-R: small white tube of antibiotic cream for small scrapes; foaming antiseptic spray in yellow bottle (this is for upset children who don't want you to touch their boo-boo); cortisone dabber (red cap) for itchy insect bites; roll of purple gentle tape* - used with the nonstick pads, this takes care of wounds that are bigger than Band-Aid size; box of swabs for applying cream when my hands are not clean.

(*the fabric tape is gentler on delicate skin, it doesn't pull off the skin when you remove it. Discovered this when I was at a doctor's office that treated a lot of senior citizens who can have much more fragile skin and heal more slowly. Good for kids too since it comes in fun colors.)

harayablu

Side 2: This side is all different sizes of nonstick pads and Band-Aids. There used to be a roll of plain white sticky (paper) tape - cheaper basic alternative to the purple tape, still pretty gentle on skin - but that's gone walkabout in my house.

Obviously this isn't every last thing one would want for field surgery, but it covers 90% of minor ouchies in our household. I might add a small pair of blunt scissors for cutting the tape (but we have scissors all over the house so there's usually a pair close at hand). And if I ever get aroud to it, I want to add paracord pulls in different colors, and a handle loop, to make it easier to grab and open when in a hurry (as one is, when someone's fussing over a cut or scrape. Smilie)

Travel kit in 3DCOC:
    (this lives in the travel drawer until it's time to pack for the next trip; I have some of these items replicated in my EDC)

haraya blu

This is set up for car travel (if I was going by plane I wouldn't have the Swiss knife attached at the bottom). The travel kit has a slightly different purpose than the house kit - it has the minimum of things I need to get by till I can get to a pharmacy in a strange place. (e.g., if I get to my destination late at night and just need to deal with a small cut, headache, or raging allergies)

L-R:
    - tape
    - small tube with ibuprofen (Aleve) and sometimes one each of other backup meds - vitamins, allergy stuff. Alternately, I have a small weekly pill dispenser where I can put a daily dose, if the trip is a week or less. Since my next trip is international I may just keep things in their original pharmacy packaging and carry them in a separate CQPC.
    - Claritin Redi-Tabs - easy-dissolve allergy tabs: these work for both the kids and grownups, and can be taken without water.
    - (in a tiny baggie) Band-Aids and a swab - for applying cream when hands are not clean. I think I read here on the forums that it's a good idea to keep swabs and bandages in a sealed container, to guard against spills. I need to restock nonstick pads in this kit.
    - (green packaging in the background) Zyrtec-D tabs. Allergy meds. Nothing worse than being all stuffed up when getting on a plane. (I'll often carry Afrin/neosynephrine spray or saline spray as well, for instant relief from stuffiness.)
    - small white tube of antibiotic cream.

ETA: Meant to reply to thread, but yes, marytattoo it would've been fun to see the old army kit! Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    When we (6) were kids in the 60s/70s, we camped all over the US. Dad had an old army 1st aid kit, kept under the front passenger seat. The only thing we ever used from it that I remember was mercurochrome/merthiolate. We had bandaids in mom's cosmetic case. One time we passed a group fishing and someone had gotten a fishhook caught right next to his eye (long before cell phones/911). Dad used his pocket knife and performed "surgery". To this day, I travel with bandaids and hand sanitizer (which is alcohol based). Of course I don't have kids, but it's all I've ever needed.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-22-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Band-Aids are definitely useful all the time, whether or not I have kids with me. I try to bring at least a couple of the flexible fabric knuckle/fingertip ones with me in my EDC. And of course I always have a tiny Swiss knife with me.

House kit, in an Iberian CQPC:

harayablu

Side 1, L-R: small white tube of antibiotic cream for small scrapes; foaming antiseptic spray in yellow bottle (this is for upset children who don't want you to touch their boo-boo); cortisone dabber (red cap) for itchy insect bites; roll of purple gentle tape* - used with the nonstick pads, this takes care of wounds that are bigger than Band-Aid size; box of swabs for applying cream when my hands are not clean.

(*the fabric tape is gentler on delicate skin, it doesn't pull off the skin when you remove it. Discovered this when I was at a doctor's office that treated a lot of senior citizens who can have much more fragile skin and heal more slowly. Good for kids too since it comes in fun colors.)

harayablu

Side 2: This side is all different sizes of nonstick pads and Band-Aids. There used to be a roll of plain white sticky (paper) tape - cheaper basic alternative to the purple tape, still pretty gentle on skin - but that's gone walkabout in my house.

Obviously this isn't every last thing one would want for field surgery, but it covers 90% of minor ouchies in our household. I might add a small pair of blunt scissors for cutting the tape (but we have scissors all over the house so there's usually a pair close at hand). And if I ever get aroud to it, I want to add paracord pulls in different colors, and a handle loop, to make it easier to grab and open when in a hurry (as one is, when someone's fussing over a cut or scrape. Smilie)
    Thanks for the pics - I sure wish I had one of our old kit! Memories...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics, haraya! Looks like you're carrying most of the same stuff I'm looking to have on hand. I've also got an ace bandage, a thermometer, a few more pharmaceuticals, etc. but it probably all would fit into the CQPC. Now I'm torn....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast