Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question about the Western Flyer

Hi all:

I'm thinking of ordering a Western Flyer. The web site does not offer a Brain Cell in size 1 (I use 15" laptops and use a size 1 in my brain bag). Am I missing something or is the WF too small for a beefy 15" laptop?

Grateful for any thoughts,

David

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello David

The Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell just fits in a Western Flyer and that is what I use. Here are a few pictures:

Quick question about the Western Flyer-wf_bc_size1-jpg

Quick question about the Western Flyer-wf_bc_size1_2-jpg

Here is also a thread that talks about it:

Horizontal Brain Cell in Western Flyer?

Note: if you want to get the Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell, you can order it on the Horizontal Brain Cell page.

Also, again, it just fits. I am ok with a slight bit more work positioning the Brain Cell so the zippers can close but YMMV. To me, the fit is the same experience as the Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell in the Brain Bag - you need to lift the fabric up a bit on the top of the Brain Bag to fit it over the Size 1. The same goes for the Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell in the Western Flyer.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-21-2015 at 05:35 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case you had a Vertical Brain Cell Size 1 - it fits even better and you still get the hard-sided protection (but you do not get the sling benefit or hooked in via the Annex Clips benefit if you carry the Western Flyer via shoulder strap - if you carry it backpack style, you do continue to get the sling benefit)

Quick question about the Western Flyer-wf_bc_size1-vertical-jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-21-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU, tpnl!

I am very grateful for this info and for the link that I missed. I do indeed have a vertical brain cell. I've gone ahead and taken the plunge on a Western Flyer. Can't wait! Now to re-read the thread on TBAS.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could answer your question, David. Great choice for a Western Flyer. I love the triple use functionality - as luggage, backpack and briefcase. For 1-2 day trips, it is a great way to one-bag travel. Also, it can be classified as a personal item if not over-packed, fits under airline seats and could be used in conjunction with your carry-on Brain Bag!

In case you were interested, I did also add cache with rail TSA functionality to my Western Flyer. I added rail loops to my Western Flyer and 2 webbing strips to my Size 1 Brain Cells (both for Horizontal and Vertical Brain Cell versions - note the webbing and loops are 4" apart in the vertical orientation and 7" apart in the horizontal orientation). Together with some Gatekeeper Rail Clips from the TB Parts pages, this allows me to slide my Vertical Brain Cell in and out easily for the security check. Even though the Brain Cells are not officially TSA friendly, I have never had an issue with leaving my laptop in while going through the check. Below are some of the pictures:

Cache Rails in Western Flyer

Also note @Perseffect's solution for using the existing annex clip loops to get the horizontal cache with rails functionality - very ingenious.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-21-2015 at 06:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Prescott View Post
    Can't wait! Now to re-read the thread on TBAS.
    Can you provide a link to this thread or did I miss it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk