Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Utah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently returned from an international trip that was a maiden voyage for a number of newly acquired TB bags. I had high expectations for my 400d Dyneema SE as a day bag or in-flight bag. Like you, I found it to be a just a tad too small. And, like others on this thread, I found the packing cube shoulder bag to be much more useful.

For long flights, I used the PCSB with a handle loop as my seat bag and repurposed the SE as an organizer for all the things I would need in the middle of the night: a hard case for my glasses, meds, lip balm, toothbrush and paste, eyeshade, earplugs, and hand sanitizer. Using a long key strap I tethered the SE inside the main compartment of the PCSB so the two bags would not get separated.

I tried using the SE for my passport (inside a small double organizer pouch), but the size just didnít work out. It would have been great if the small DOP +passport fit in the outer zippered compartment of the SE, but it was too tight to be useful. Note in can be done, but requires more fiddling than I want to put up with. So, instead, I put the DOP + passport inside the front zippered compartment of the PCSB, along with my ticket and a pen to fill out the customs form (donít these always seem to come when you are dead asleep and have no idea if itís supposed to be morning, noon, or night?).

In retrospect, the SE inside the PCSB was overkill; a lighter organizer pouch or two inside would have done the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Everyone else: what I was looking for was a small shoulder/waist strap bag that I could take on bus trips, to the county fair, and anywhere else where I don't want to carry my fully loaded Swift. Since I can't do without my reading glasses, and wear prescription contacts that make my eyes light sensitive, I do really need to have one or both pairs of glasses with me all the time.
    I read this and immediately thought of the new Little Swift that is potentially debuting this year. I'm not sure if it's rumor as no one knows the precise details, but I believe it's to be similar in size to the old LS, but in a cross-body orientation. That may be roomier for you than the SE without having to carry a full-size tote like the Swift. The old LS is sometimes available here as a swap, on ebay or on Ravelry if you want to look into that option. It is a comfortable over-the-shoulder carry too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    I read this and immediately thought of the new Little Swift that is potentially debuting this year. I'm not sure if it's rumor as no one knows the precise details, but I believe it's to be similar in size to the old LS, but in a cross-body orientation. That may be roomier for you than the SE without having to carry a full-size tote like the Swift. The old LS is sometimes available here as a swap, on ebay or on Ravelry if you want to look into that option. It is a comfortable over-the-shoulder carry too.
    The LS also can contain the SE.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first TB order was for a Navy/UV S19. I have always preferred a very tiny purse, so I requested a matching Navy/UV SE. Test packed it multiple times. The SE was the exact same dimensions as my favorite Baggallini purse. Yet the cordura SE just didn't cooperate. It held everything, but was too tight and fiddly. Getting things in and out was a hassle. I returned it.

My second TB order included a black Dyneema SE. It is awesome! Easily holds everything and always lets me stuff "just one more thing". Effortless to put things in or get them out of the bag. Completely different experience from the cordura.

I'd buy more SEs in other exterior Dyneema colors. I'd get two in 200d Steel and one of all other Dyneema colors. (Wasabi being the
    exception, as I'm not fond of it at all.)

I'm looking forward to the cross-body knitting bag. Hopefully you will find a solution. This discussion has me considering the Spiff Kit, so thank you. I find it is always nice to discover better ways to stay organized! elisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I like the SCB, MCB, and PCSB very much for carrying the essentials one needs at close range. I have a Dyneema SE and at this time I use it in two settings: 1 - as an airplane seat bag (others have posted on how well this works with the double carabiner clips) to hold lip balm, medicine and 2 - as a very minimal purse when walking to the park (keys, some money, and a credit card). I remain impressed by those who can carry the SE as a regular handbag and have it hold everything they need.

P.S. Don't give yourself a hard time about not packing in a minimalist way. I am an admitted maximalist packer but I can tell you there have been plenty of times that those traveling with me are delighted to take advantage of the items I have brought for first-aid, relaxation, reading, unexpected overnight airport stays, etc.
    I very much second what @GoStanford has said here. I'm off right now on a 29-day road trip, where I am varying between "civilized" places where I need to dress "up" and a rustic cabin in the middle of the northwoods where I need to have clothes for cool, hot, and wet weather: plus first aid items, hand washing stuff, etc. Although I am in awe of people who could fit everything they need for such a trip into a SA or BB or Synapse 25, I long ago came to realize that I'm not one of those minimalist wizards: and that's okay. I too have often found that some of the "what if" stuff I packed was needed by me, or by someone with me on the trip, either for comfort or convenience or even for health reasons. I'm proud of myself that for this trip I got all my clothes and toiletries and first aid items etc into an A45 and my new NFTD! [However, that doesn't count the electronic gear in my Daylight Backpack, nor the Swift and SE combo that I've got for trips into town.]

So I guess I'm a maximalist packer, too. That being said, I am one of those people who is in in love with her Side Effects. What I've found is that gradually, over time, the combination of having the Side Effect, and also no longer needing to carry paper checks, cash, or coins, has morphed me into a minimalist in one area at leastóthat of my every-day carry. I don't even need a wallet anymore: I have a wallet case for my iPhone, and that's all I need besides my keys for quick trips to the store or for my morning walks. With so little in the Side Effect, there is plenty of room to carry my sunglasses, even in a bulky hard case. And when I need or want to stuff a little more in the SE, I am able to do it: a real wallet once in a while [but a small one], some lip balm or tissues, an emergency flashlight and penknife, even my Kindle Voyage. I can get all these things into the SE at once, especially if I am using a Dyneema version.

But it may be that you need to carry more with you than the SE can accommodate; perhaps an SCB or PSCB would work better, as so many others have already suggested. I hope you're able to experiment and find something that works well for you.

~Nancy

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have downsized to a smaller glasses case for my readers, but it still takes up the majority of space in the main compartment of the SE.

@marytattoo, my pill case is too big, I'll admit that. I have been considering a GoTubb for pills. I'm sure I can find something smaller.

@GoStanford and @ncb4--I had a 22" roller bag that was so heavy I couldn't pick it up. I know I brought too many clothes, for one thing. If I'd split things up between two bags (I have a Patagonia LIttle Brother Carryon) I would have been better off, rather than stuffing everything into one bag. I think it is a work in progress (minimalist packing, that is). LOL

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking the PCSB would be a good choice. I almost bought it, actually, then changed my mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I am thinking the PCSB would be a good choice. I almost bought it, actually, then changed my mind!
    I haven't yet used it as a purse. I have one in my swift, but I now have on order the black dyneema and the iberian. Will look at them again as purses.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE my Side Effect (ballistic), but it does require quite a bit of editing of what you carry. For me, it's just perfect w/ my prescription sunglasses (in a soft case), small wallet, extra compact shopping bag (ChicoBag), a couple small bits and bobs in the pockets (lip balm, hair ties, tiny comb), and then my keys and phone in the other pocket. Oh, and lately I've been adding in my extra compact picnic blanket (Matador) for chilling in the park. I've been known to also add in a small organizer pouch or two and/or a pen and tiny notebook, as needed. Or sometimes my Kindle for the aforementioned park chilling. I actually managed to squeeze in a lightweight merino button-up the other evening (no sunglasses, picnic blanket, or extras in there that time) in case I needed an extra layer. Definitely requires some careful packing, but now that I know how to arrange everything together, it's quick to get it in and out. Would love to have one in parapack for a bit more give (plus the sheen of the parapack looks so classy).

Edit: Which all is to say, it can fit a surprising amount if you're willing to narrow down what you're carrying and arrange things carefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    I LOVE my Side Effect (ballistic), but it does require quite a bit of editing of what you carry. For me, it's just perfect w/ my prescription sunglasses (in a soft case), small wallet, extra compact shopping bag (ChicoBag), a couple small bits and bobs in the pockets (lip balm, hair ties, tiny comb), and then my keys and phone in the other pocket. Oh, and lately I've been adding in my extra compact picnic blanket (Matador) for chilling in the park. I've been known to also add in a small organizer pouch or two and/or a pen and tiny notebook, as needed. Or sometimes my Kindle for the aforementioned park chilling. I actually managed to squeeze in a lightweight merino button-up the other evening (no sunglasses, picnic blanket, or extras in there that time) in case I needed an extra layer. Definitely requires some careful packing, but now that I know how to arrange everything together, it's quick to get it in and out. Would love to have one in parapack for a bit more give (plus the sheen of the parapack looks so classy).

Edit: Which all is to say, it can fit a surprising amount if you're willing to narrow down what you're carrying and arrange things carefully.
    I have SEs - WOW! You can for a lot more than me. Good job.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread confirms what I suspected - I really like using the SE as my PLO inside my EDC - it's great for running out to lunch during the work day, etc., and it was great on the airplane hanging over the seat pocket. That said, like others, I would love for it to just have a tiny bit more room for sunglasses, in particular. And even without the sunglasses, I do feel like I have to struggle just a tiny bit to get things in and out, and I by no means have a large load - my COW, a mini pouch with earbuds, iphone, keys, little pens and notebook, chapstick and a few other little things, and then I can usually SQUEEZE in one larger thing if I really need to - an ipad mini will just barely fit, or my super slim umbrella, but then it's REALLY tight. I think if I had a dyneema one with a little extra stretch, I'd be good - so I am very hopeful that they will produce more sometime very soon!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmuse View Post
    This thread confirms what I suspected - I really like using the SE as my PLO inside my EDC - it's great for running out to lunch during the work day, etc., and it was great on the airplane hanging over the seat pocket. That said, like others, I would love for it to just have a tiny bit more room for sunglasses, in particular. And even without the sunglasses, I do feel like I have to struggle just a tiny bit to get things in and out, and I by no means have a large load - my COW, a mini pouch with earbuds, iphone, keys, little pens and notebook, chapstick and a few other little things, and then I can usually SQUEEZE in one larger thing if I really need to - an ipad mini will just barely fit, or my super slim umbrella, but then it's REALLY tight. I think if I had a dyneema one with a little extra stretch, I'd be good - so I am very hopeful that they will produce more sometime very soon!!
    Maybe I'm unusual but I never put my keys inside my SE. I have a mini carbiner in my keychain and I just clip it to the strap.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Maybe I'm unusual but I never put my keys inside my SE. I have a mini carbiner in my keychain and I just clip it to the strap.

I could do that in a pinch, but I really don't like jangly keys! Smilie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmuse View Post
    I could do that in a pinch, but I really don't like jangly keys! Smilie
    Would you consider one of those thingies that can hold your keys inside? No jingles. (Trying to free up a bit of retail SE space...)

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine inside a larger tote also. I use the front outside zipper for cash with a (smaller than mini--is this size called micro?) micro OP for coins, and also a very small pen that I stole from Alamo Drafthouse movie theater! (If you have one near you, GO! They are great theaters) In the main compartment, I keep a pack of gum, chapstick, lipgloss, and a stick of sunscreen in the slip pockets, and then I have a COW with CC and ID/etc and a beautiful and amazing NORDIC small OP to hold extra cards, gift cards, library cards, etc. I also keep a small pack of tissues in there. That is usually it, as I like to be able to reach my phone without unzipping. I can, though, fit my iPhone 6 in easily. If I can live without the extra cards in the OP, then I can even my Field Note sized travelers notebook also. My SEs are ballistic, and parapack. I do find the parapack option a bit more flexible like the dyneema would be, but the ballistics are never a problem. Maybe due to the fact that i drag them around a lot, and they have softened up! They are also great size to carry along a stash of pens/pencils/brushes for sketching, if you are so inclined, or if you have kids along, as you can stick in a small notebook (Field Note sized) with pens, and then just hand each kid a SE, and hope for at least 5 min of peace!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast