Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summit Bed?

Forum Member
    western NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summit Bed?

Has anybody bought the Summit Bed? What do you and (more importantly) your dogs think of it? I am coveting one in Forest, but it's a real investment, so I am looking for reassurance.
    Last edited by sre000; 07-02-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blog has an article called Skookum Dog Guest Post: Unboxing Day.
    Skookum Dog Guest Post: Unboxing Day - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

The dogs in those photos clearly adored their new bed. elisa

Forum Member
    western NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the blissed-out dogs were adorable. I loved (of course) the little video too.

Susan

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take a photo for you of Lily or Ichiro in their Summit Bed but they're staying for the weekend with a friend of mine who lives in an area where fireworks are banned. I think this'll be a nicer 4th of July for them. Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sre000 View Post
    Yes, the blissed-out dogs were adorable. I loved (of course) the little video too.

Susan
    To follow up with one of the pictures from @AlaskaGirl's linked blog post:
    Summit Bed?-skookumboxing4-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'd take a photo for you of Lily or Ichiro in their Summit Bed but they're staying for the weekend with a friend of mine who lives in an area where fireworks are banned. I think this'll be a nicer 4th of July for them. Smilie
    No kidding that Lily and Ichiro will enjoy their 4th of July weekend more in a fireworks-free area. I remember an article from some years back about how they recovered a dog who had jumped into the ocean during the Fourth of July Fireworks in Honolulu. He was fished out of the water about a mile from the shore, and was still swimming away from the disturbances.

Darcy, I realize that the vBulletin upgrade has fixed the ability to automatically save linked web images as attachments. Of course, I may be speaking too early about that feature, since I recall that the bug was a side effect of the particular Tapatalk skin we were using, and I think that support for Tapatalk under the upgraded version of vBulletin still isn't working fully yet.

moriond

ETA: And I forgot to mention that one of the features of the Summit Bed that forum readers found exciting in the original Skookum Dog debut is that it's also available in Aubergine:
    Summit Bed?-summitbed_aubergine_2_700x466-jpg
    Last edited by moriond; 07-03-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have thick storm-looming skies here that might decrease the number of fireworks. However, thunder is an equal problem for one of my dogs and I expect I will be deploying the thundershirt more than once this weekend. The busiest day for shelters is 7/5 because of independence runaways. Pet owners, keep your tags/microchip information up to date, and keep your fur kids safe this weekend.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    western NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, I'd love to see your photos whenever you get to take them. I'm lucky with my dog, who certainly notices fireworks but is okay about them if I'm with him. (Weather is another matter altogether. If the wind rattles the venetian blinds he acts as if monsters are approaching.)

Forum Member
    PNW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Susan
    Where was the video?

Forum Member
    western NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, The product page has a Vimeo version of the video at the bottom. The YouTube version is embedded below:

I'm using the YouTube version because in the previous version of forum software, embedded Vimeo versions of video were invisible to Tapatalk app users unless they were only referenced as URL links. This may be fixed in the new version of the forum software, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been thinking about getting the summit bed for years now....how have they held up over time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

The far west
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to do a full blog post, but saw this thread come up again and wanted to share this with you guys.... Julianne, Keely and dogs Jasper and Casey of Conservation Canines came by the factory today to pick up some Summit Beds, Camp Mats and other items.

Conservation Canines (part of the Center for Conservation Biology at the University of Washington) is a non-profit organization that trains detection dogs and their handlers for the purposes of wildlife research. The trained working dogs of Conservation Canines have the ability to detect the scent of scat, caterpillars, noxious weeds and plants, salamanders, PCBs, and even sea turtles. All of the Conservation Canines are dogs adopted from shelters, and many are dogs with such a strong drive to work and high amount of energy that it was originally difficult to find them homes.

Summit Bed?-conservationcanines-jpg

And here's Jasper on his way home with the Summit Beds!

Summit Bed?-jasper-summit-jpg

So, on the topic of Summit Beds and Skookum Dog in general, I have some happy news and some sad news... the sad news is: we've decided to retire the Skookum Dog line. (What will become of the Citizen Canine remains to be seen.) The happy news is that we've decided to donate the remaining Summit Beds to non-profits such as Conservation Canines. Some Skookum Dog items are still available (Camp Mat, Collars, Skookum Dog edition Citizen Canine) but will be available for a little while longer before they sell out in the next few months. So, if there's a currently available Skookum Dog item you've been thinking about purchasing, it would be good to decide about that soon!

On a personal note: my original Summit Beds are still in use and well loved by the dogs, despite Ichiro doing his best to destroy them (the photo below is a true-to-life product shot!)

Summit Bed?-ichiro-summit-jpg-png

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys rock!

Skookum Dog line is full of innovative and sturdy items, the collar designs are unique and stylish.

Conservation Canines dogs Jasper, Casey and others dogs, as well as humans Julianne, Keely and others are doing lifesaving work for endangered species, animals essential to their ecosystems and against entities that threaten those same ecosystems.

The Summit Beds are the perfect way for the heros canines to get their zees after a long work day!

This is a very cute picture of Tom who has a smile like a little boy, no wonder, he is making friend with a scientist with a good nose. Smilie

As always, thanks for sharing Darcy!

The far west
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Conservation Canines dogs Jasper, Casey and others dogs, as well as humans Julianne, Keely and others are doing lifesaving work for endangered species, animals essential to their ecosystems and against entities that threaten those same ecosystems.
    I thought of you today backpack... I wish you could have been there to meet Jasper and Casey!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I need to do a full blog post, but saw this thread come up again and wanted to share this with you guys.... Julianne, Keely and dogs Jasper and Casey of Conservation Canines came by the factory today to pick up some Summit Beds, Camp Mats and other items.

Conservation Canines (part of the Center for Conservation Biology at the University of Washington) is a non-profit organization that trains detection dogs and their handlers for the purposes of wildlife research. The trained working dogs of Conservation Canines have the ability to detect the scent of scat, caterpillars, noxious weeds and plants, salamanders, PCBs, and even sea turtles. All of the Conservation Canines are dogs adopted from shelters, and many are dogs with such a strong drive to work and high amount of energy that it was originally difficult to find them homes.

Summit Bed?-conservationcanines-jpg

And here's Jasper on his way home with the Summit Beds!

Summit Bed?-jasper-summit-jpg

So, on the topic of Summit Beds and Skookum Dog in general, I have some happy news and some sad news... the sad news is: we've decided to retire the Skookum Dog line. (What will become of the Citizen Canine remains to be seen.) The happy news is that we've decided to donate the remaining Summit Beds to non-profits such as Conservation Canines. Some Skookum Dog items are still available (Camp Mat, Collars, Skookum Dog edition Citizen Canine) but will be available for a little while longer before they sell out in the next few months. So, if there's a currently available Skookum Dog item you've been thinking about purchasing, it would be good to decide about that soon!

On a personal note: my original Summit Beds are still in use and well loved by the dogs, despite Ichiro doing his best to destroy them (the photo below is a true-to-life product shot!)

Summit Bed?-ichiro-summit-jpg-png
    Very sad to hear this as we loved the Skookum line! Will be purchasing a couple of collars as they are the best and hold up so well. Maybe will add another citizen canine as well. And of course will be extra easy on my Skookum dog hats!

As the one who revived this thread, so sad that I waited before ordering the bed. (Hopefully I can get one second hand as they now are no longer available).

On another note, I love where the beds were sent. Aspen and I have been training in scent work (not for official purposes) and compete in NACSW trials. I love scent work because it is a training the dog to do something that comes natural for them. The citizen canine is the absolute best treat bag I have seen. Brilliant design and I do hope it continues to be manufactured (my citizen canine was purchased at the TB shop in person).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast