Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Thanks for bringing up this discussion.

I only have a 13.3" Ultrabook and I guess it will fit greatly on a Cache 13" MBA Retina Pro. May I know how that Cache fits in the main of compartment of MCB? I will be receiving my first MCB by end of this month through trade while the Cache have to wait until months due to compiling Carts to save on international order. I'm really looking forward for big it is, comparing to SCB.
    @weirdguy, The cache for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro is going to stick up from the top of the Medium Cafe Bag by enough so that if you secure the buckle of the MCB, it will "pull" up on the material around the bottom buckle piece. You can take a look at how far a 13" MacBook Air (a bit longer, but thinner and lighter than the 13" Retina MacBook Pro) extends beyond the top of the Medium Cafe Bag in my pictures in post #5 of the About to buy first TB - Cafe Bag vs DLBC thread. The viewing angle makes it difficult to see, because the original question was about how the depth of a medium cafe bag compares to the DLBC, so these are shot from the side, but a 13" MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro will extend past the top of the Medium Cafe Bag. If you are carrying either laptop naked or inside a shell, you will be able to close the buckle (see bottom photo). It either the 13" MBA or Retina MacBook Pro is inside a cache, the fabric around the bottom buckle of the Medium Cafe Bag will pull and strain when you try to close the buckle. So, in answer to @PaulT00's initial question about what people carry around in an LCB that requires so much extra room, some people move to the LCB for carrying their 13" (or larger) laptops.

BTW, the later replies saved me from inquiring about the lining color of his new MCB. I was originally going to ask him whether it had been the influence of @ceepee's photos, or maybe just going to the M&M World store in London. So, if this was originally @ceepee's Burnt Orange MCB, it's the earlier Combo with Navy lining, right?

moriond

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    BTW, the later replies saved me from inquiring about the lining color of his new MCB. I was originally going to ask him whether it had been the influence of @ceepee's photos, or maybe just going to the M&M World store in London. So, if this was originally @ceepee's Burnt Orange MCB, it's the earlier Combo with Navy lining, right?

moriond
    Yes it is ........ I was lured into buying the Steel lined version when I bought the Olive MCB for my partner Smilie

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    @Meglet, glad to be of service on the enabling front. Smilie
    Which colour of MCB was it you were drooling at, may I ask?
    I think there may have been an Azure one. Possibly. Perhaps.

But you lost me at "Aubergine Ristretto. . . .

Sadly, it looks like apartment-moving fees are going to preclude feeding my TB addiction for at least a little while. In the meantime at least I have an excuse to use my favorite dark gray waxed canvas messenger bag from other bag company for my Surface.
    Rambling On. . . . .

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, you beat me to it. I was going to try my old 13" compatible 6Z cache in the MCB but I haven't had it to hand today...

I did try my LCB (which is in a steel grey with Cayenne lining, bought from, um, @ceepee on eBay a while back Smilie ) with the 13" macbook, but I found that with that particular laptop it was too floppy and tended to sag. That might have more to do with the weight of the old macbook than anything else, however - I seem to recall that it weighs a good couple of kilos. Fortunately I already had a Pilot in Nordic/Solar, which has sufficient structure to deal with the extra mass... and of course the Retina MBPs would be a fair bit lighter and thinner than my (antediluvian) black polycarbonate Core 2 Duo Macbook from 2007 (aka 'before the dawn of time'...)

@ceepee - it's truly scary how many TB bags I have bought from you via eBay...!

and @meglet - so sad to hear you can't feed the addiction a bit more. Just remember, if you don't buy when the colour combo is in stock, you may never see it again! But hope the apartment move goes well!

I still haven't managed to get around to trying the MB12 in the old-style Aubergine/Steel Ristretto; it's designed for an iPad, but given that the MB isn't hugely larger and the builtin iPad cache is pretty loose, I wouldn't be surprised to find the MB12 fits. I'll try it out and report back, honest! Just don't hold your collective breath...
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-06-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @PaulT00, The 6Z Cache is going to stick up even more than the Cache for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro that @weirdguy was asking about. Basically, those laptops (13" MacBook Air and 13" Retina MacBook Pro) can be carried in the Medium Cafe Bag, and closed in if you use them with a protective shell, or possibly with a thinner neoprene case instead of the Cache. (I can go home and try the fit with the old Tucana Second Skin used for a 13" MacBook before they came out with caches in these sizes). With a hard shell case, or possibly with a tighter fitting thin, neoprene case, you can close the Medium Cafe Bag and carry the 13" MacBooks. The 13" Retina MacBook Pro is shorter, but wider and heavier than the 13" MacBook Air, so I think the Air works best of the 13" Mac laptops for being carried in the Medium Cafe Bag.

I have a Plum/Wasabi (original) Ristretto for MacBook that is exactly tailored for these laptops, and also offers a choice of strap (like the large Cafe Bags). The original design of the Ristrettos is very close to the Cafe Bags in style. It's very odd, but I feel as though many of the older (and retired) TB bags are undergoing a renaissance, because laptops have gotten so much lighter and smaller.

And it may be scary how many of @ceepee's bags have found their way to you via eBay, but it's also somewhat satisfying to know the "provenance" of your bags -- like great works of art -- especially when you can trace the original owner to another forum member. (Did this with my Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, and now feel as though I should also transfer ownership of the previous posted photo attachments to the bag's current owner on these forums.)

moriond

ETA:
    I still haven't managed to get around to trying the MB12 in the old-style Aubergine/Steel Ristretto; it's designed for an iPad, but given that the MB isn't hugely larger and the builtin iPad cache is pretty loose, I wouldn't be surprised to find the MB12 fits. I'll try it out and report back, honest! Just don't hold your collective breath...
    Paul, my guess is that the MB12 should be a little tall, but usable in the Aubsergine/Steel Ristretto for iPad. You could use the Ristretto for iPad for the 11" MacBook Air, but the top of the laptop stuck out a bit past the top of the bag -- nothing as much as in the pictures of the 13" MacBooks in MCBs that I linked to, but enough so that you might worry about having complete protection if it rained. The MB12 is both shorter and thinner than the 11" MacBook Air, so it may work better in your Ristretto.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-06-2015 at 05:48 PM.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I dug out the Ristretto - I believe it's an old Ristretto for iPad as I mentioned, Portable Culture tag, in Aubergine ballistic with steel dyneema lining if that helps to narrow it down - and whaddyaknow? it could have been designed for an MB12. Perfect fit, protected all round, the top flap even tucks in quite happily. Smilie It fits about as snugly as the specific MB12 cache!

So now I have at least 3 bags my new laptop will fit perfectly in - Pilot (in its horizontal cache with rails), MCB (same cache going in sideways) and Ristretto (with apologies to Phil Collins... no jacket required Smilie ). Choices, choices! And that's not mentioning the LCB... and I haven't tried it in the Co-pilot yet... but I have a feeling it will fit in that too!

Hmmm... maybe I need to downsize my TB collection? Embarrassment
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-07-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Well I dug out the Ristretto. . . Aubergine ballistic with steel dyneema lining
    If this vanishes ""mysteriously" from your collection. . . pay no attention to my talk of plane tickets and passport stamps and trips to the English seaside. Wink
    Rambling On. . . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2