Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't miss food or sights in London, Edinburgh, or Dublin?

Hi all - we'll be taking a trip in early September to London (work for me, vacation for my husband) and then tacking on a week (vacation for both of us), and since we've never been to Scotland or Ireland, figured we'd go there. We figured we'd start with Edinburgh and Dublin, though are flexible if somewhere else catches our eye. I've checked out my usual online sources, but thought I'd check with the TB collective wisdom on any of your personal favorites for unique food (cheap or posh) or can't miss sights. So far for London, I want to check out some good Indian food, and one of Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan restaurants. (I've been to London a few times, but years ago.)

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this really broad question!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food: find Said!! I mean it find this tiny chocolat-shop. Even if chokolat is not your thing that much, just find it. Oh and bringing gifts from there is awesome too.

It is in London and the only other one is in Rome so this is pritty much something to realy not miss out on...

Ilkyway

PS: can anybody read from this, that I think Said is worth visiting? Well: IT IS!!!!!
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in London I always find time for a dinner at Cantina Laredo.

Oh and this place has good Japanese food if you are into it.
    Last edited by giuliof; 08-09-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In London, go to the Borough Market. Amazing food! Seriously. So good and very reasonable. Then go to Said, likely Ilkyway says. Get one of the chocolate drinks. So good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestion Pokilani!
    If you like mustard, be sure to check out Fitz Fine Foods there. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Food: find Said!! I mean it find this tiny chocolat-shop. Even if chokolat is not your thing that much, just find it. Oh and bringing gifts from there is awesome too.

It is in London and the only other one is in Rome so this is pritty much something to realy not miss out on...

Ilkyway

PS: can anybody read from this, that I think Said is worth visiting? Well: IT IS!!!!!
    Is it awesome? Really? Truly?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Ilkyway, @pokilani, @giuliof! Said looks amazing, and my coworker who will be there for the work part of the trip is excited about Borough Market. And I love mustard! And Japanese food. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what comes next, do you? Can we see some pictures from your trip? Did not see that one comming? Well... it would be great if you have the time for it ;-)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely will, @ilkyway! Strategic shots of my A30, SE and S19 sightseeing too. Smilie

Forum Member
    Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Edinburgh, I like Kampung Ali (Malaysian Restaurant) their flatbreads with curry dipping sauce and curry laksa soup are so good. The Witchery which is situated near the castle is not cheap but they do cheaper set menus for lunch and pre-theatre and for a quick lunch Oink in the Grassmarket does hog roast sandwiches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @ANM - I love Malaysian food, and might have to stop by The Witchery for the name alone!