Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minor regret - and now I need a notebook

When the Field Journal was reintroduced, I talked myself out of it over and over because, while I love ink and paper (and TB bags!), I don't love 3-ring binders. Plus, I am becoming more and more resistant to the idea of buying things just because I think they look cool. When TB changed the online buying and a few FJs resurfaced, I resisted again. Alas, I just switched my fall schedule around and am now in an ethnography class where we were advised to get a small 3-ring binder with pockets to use as our field journal. Ah, well, it's not like I need a $90 notebook for a one-time thing. But if the timing had been different, I would have had all the justification I needed.

Off to buy a notebook. Any recommendations? I want something that will lie flat and has good-quality paper. It doesn't have to be a 3-ring binder as long as I'm able to keep everything together (now I have an excuse to buy a medium or large DOP). Narrow-rule or graph paper. I'm intrigued by the Maruman Mnemosyne horizontal and the Rhodia Square, but I'm wondering if the wire binding on either of these will stand up to abuse? I gave up on wirebound years ago, but am willing to consider that my hatred of the wires (the bending, the snagging, the spiraling free of the paper on one end) has to do with the quality of cheap school notebook bindings. And it does seem like the best way to get something that will lie flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find this? Non-wirebound, cream paper, opens totally flat. It's called the MD Notebook by Midori. Someone gave it to me and although I don't like notebooks, I look forward to doodling in this one. The paper is uncoated, easy on the eyes and quite lightweight. Here are pics.

Minor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726750-949772-jpgMinor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726771-496205-jpgMinor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726802-079191-jpg

Puget Sound region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Jet Pens website. They sell these and other glorious options.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MD looks like a good option. And I would have to spend a few extra dollars at JetPens. You know, for the free shipping Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) i hadn't considered that there might be a stitched notebook that lay flat like that - outside of handmade books, anyway.

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baron Fig makes nice notebooks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a Field Journal on eBay right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    See if you can find this? Non-wirebound, cream paper, opens totally flat. It's called the MD Notebook by Midori. Someone gave it to me and although I don't like notebooks, I look forward to doodling in this one. The paper is uncoated, easy on the eyes and quite lightweight. Here are pics.

Minor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726750-949772-jpgMinor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726771-496205-jpgMinor regret - and now I need a notebook-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440726802-079191-jpg
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, I wanted to say (briefly) that this notebook is da bomb-- I rate it an A+. It's very fountain pen-friendly and can take quite a soaking before the ink seeps through to the other page. I did a couple of ink-heavy drawings last (1st layer FP ink, 2nd layer Pitt Artist Marker ink) and there were only a couple of spots where the ink bled to the other page. And although I was using FP ink that's very "wet", saturated and feather-prone on other papers (Monteverde Black), there wasn't an iota of feathering here.

Other features that I think are a huge plus are: the cream coloured paper, lack of coating (this is really a personal preference, but I'm a bit turned off Clairefontaine, Rhodia, etc.) and the open-flat binding. It opens 180 degrees and the absence of a ring system makes this book a great place for drawing and, I would imagine, note-taking, journaling, etc. And since the front is plain, you can customise it to your liking by drawing or sticking stuff on it (mine is a mini-collage now...).

New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BARON FIG ALL THE WAY (especially the Confidant)!!! Cool

You can find it here: http://www.baronfig.com/pages/confidant

I recently got my first Confidant earlier this year, and I am completely in love with its design, versatility, and quality. I am one of those people who buys notebook upon notebook and crosses her fingers hoping one of them will be "the one" where the buck stops, only to find out there's some glaring flaw -- an obvious need that it doesn't meet. Several stacks of failed notebooks later, enter the Baron Fig Confidant. I swear it'll change your life, whatever your jotting needs will be! Wink
    in omnia parata Embarrassment

SCB SSB TT MCB CP DLBP LSB SE SK LS PU P L PT S19

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Japanese brand that I have heard of that is quite fountain pen friendly is Apica. I have not had any personal experience with it but have read the positive reviews from users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I just stumbled upon this post from @Badger on the Hobonichi Techo: http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-...ho-thread.html

This might be worth checking out if it's what you're looking for!
    in omnia parata Embarrassment

SCB SSB TT MCB CP DLBP LSB SE SK LS PU P L PT S19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fieewanders View Post
    BARON FIG ALL THE WAY (especially the Confidant)!!! Cool

You can find it here: Confidant Hardcover Notebook €“ Baron Fig

I recently got my first Confidant earlier this year, and I am completely in love with its design, versatility, and quality. I am one of those people who buys notebook upon notebook and crosses her fingers hoping one of them will be "the one" where the buck stops, only to find out there's some glaring flaw -- an obvious need that it doesn't meet. Several stacks of failed notebooks later, enter the Baron Fig Confidant. I swear it'll change your life, whatever your jotting needs will be! Wink
    As an FYI, here's what seems to be the ultimate FP ink test for Baron Fig books (complete with some seriously drool-worthy photos...). Summary: if you're not putting fire-hoses of coloured water to paper, it's fine.

(Me? I'm such an adherent to TB's FJN that I'll stick to cutting up and punching 80-100 gsm A4 papers to stick in it. Looseleaf 'till I die!)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-16-2015 at 10:57 PM.