Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lunch box ideas?

Hi, all

This school year my kid will need to bring with him in the morning to school:

-lunch
    -in-class snack
    -pre-gymnastics snack
    -mid-gymnastics dinner

I've always just packed a lunch box of random tupperware for him in the morning for school and then handed him a tupperware of snack items in the afternoon for gymnastics but this year he is not able to stop at home in between and practice is an hour longer.

I'd like to be able to send real food in a container that is not likely to leak and can keep a variety of foods cold or hot for up to 11 hours. Bonus points if there is a container or set of containers that all snap together and hold multiple food types together (thinking tiffin). Or just individual things I can stick in an ordinary lunch box.

Kid carries a large backpack filled with unnecessary randomness at all times so compact is a bonus too. Someday I hope to transition him to a Synapse 26 but right now I suspect he could actually manage to damage a TB product within 6 months.

Any thoughts?

ETA: Dishwasher-able preferred or it will get left on the counter to rot after one use.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of stainless lunchbots containers that I really like. They make some with sections, but I prefer the ones that are just a plain old box, and silicone baking cups to separate smaller bits of food. I can fit a stack of four of the standard size ones in my lunchbox (a nine-can Coleman one; nothin fancy). I've also heard good things about goodbyn bentos.

Maybe a food jar for hot foods? I have a Stanley brand one that does its job well (it's older, though; think I have had it maybe 15 years now), but zojirushi ones are supposedly good, too.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Zojirushi Mr. Bento. While expensive, it does the trick for separating hot/cold and you can get an extra set of the plastic dishes. I like that it forces me to diversify my meals.

I also use Duralex containers for regular storage and the occasional lunch when I cant fill a whole Mr. Bento set.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lunch box ideas?

Dear Saltgirl,

I don't like using the microwave, so I really like these insulated stainless steel containers from aladdin. I have warmed up food early in the morning on the stove, and had 8 hours later, and it was still hot. It's never leaked on me, even with soups. You do have to wash it by hand, but it fits in the side pockets of the Synapse 25 if that helps to offset the hand wash requirement. You could put one into each of the side pockets!

This one from aladdin appears to be dishwasher safe otherwise.

These lunchbots insulated containers appear to be similar in design to the aladdin stainless steel -- not sure if that is what capncat was thinking of, or perhaps their flat containers, some of which are sectioned and others aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I like my Zojirushi Mr. Bento. While expensive, it does the trick for separating hot/cold and you can get an extra set of the plastic dishes. I like that it forces me to diversify my meals.
    Oh wow -- what a brilliant design! I will have to try this! Thanks imperator!
    Last edited by maverick; 09-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, most insulated containers are NOT dishwasher safe, so if you want something that stays hot or cold then you'll need to handwash it.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, all.

While the Mr. Bento does look awesome and might even be my first choice, my kid is evidently not yet ready for it. No Super Hero patterns. Go figure.

The lunchbots look like a nice option. I appreciate that they are not plastic and that they go in the dishwasher. I just wish their all metal ones were a bit more leak proof. Child likes his pickles and melons and other foods inclined to have a bit of liquid involved. Plus my spouse tends to think anything with a lid should hold water. I do see they have some more leak proof options - may give them a try.

He does have an insulated leak proof canister. It has a bad habit of molding on the counter though.

Los Angeles, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind plastic, the Yumbox is leakproof.