Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evernote

west coast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what has already been said (and lost) but I've been using Evernote for years. I finally ponied up for the premium about 2-3 years ago.

I use it to keep clippings and email myself things (tweets, links, recipes, PDFs) that go into a series of "read later" folders that are sortable.

Handwritten notes from meetings are photographed, uploaded and automatically OCR'd so that they are searchable. I also use it professionally to document meetings with particular groups, with a notebook for each (and sometimes sub-notebooks for particular people, committees, etc). I use it when I am starting to work on a series of articles, particularly in the literature search phase when I want to quickly recall what I have already looked at, and random connections/ideas that cross my brain before I start to write actual sentences and paragraphs.

I use Evernote mostly between my MacBookPro and iPhone.

Hope that helps.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ WOW.

Are you saying that you hand-write your meeting notes, and then the notes can be OCR'd accurately? What do you use to OCR the notes? What kind of hardware do you use to do this? I wasn't aware that longhand notes could be captured and used in this fashion.

I'm asking because I frequently have to take notes for business meetings and then transcribe them into either meeting minutes or other reports. If you have the key to making my life easier, I want to know about it!

Thanks for sharing. (and please continue!)
    Last edited by MtnMan; 11-30-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer the hardware question because I don't understand specs but I just upgraded my phone from a Note 4 with easy handwriting capability and it auto saved to Evernote. Even things I didn't care about (grocery lists) were saved. When I opened them in Evernote they went full-screen).

west coast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Evernote premium, the OCR is automatic. I just open the Evernote app on my iPhone, take a photo of my notes, and save/sync to the cloud. The handwritten notes pop up in my Evernote app on my laptop and are searchable (as long as the handwriting is clear enough). Super easy. I don't even use the special Evernote paper-- just regular lined tablets, usually.

I should be clear, though, and say that Evernote does OCR to search-- ie. you can search your notes and it usually will find the keywords you are looking for. It does not convert handwriting to ASCII text. You would need an additional step for that kind of functionality.

ETA: If I didn't already have premium, I would try the Evernote Moleskine (comes with 3 months of premium) to see if it was useful in my workflow. You can see others talk about it more here:

Evernote: Getting the Most Out of Handwriting Recognition | CHRISTOPHER MAYO

https://evernote.com/partner/moleskine/

Lots of other suggestions here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topi...into-evernote/
    Last edited by crowdgoeswild; 12-01-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2