Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evernote

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evernote

These questions are for all current Evernote users, regardless of what kind of machine/device you may be using Evernote on:

I may be starting a new job soon, and one of the apps I'll likely be using is Evernote.

It is not clear if I will be using Evernote on a tablet device, on a PC or on a smartphone. But I will be using Evernote on my iMac at home and I have already installed it on the iMac. I think I understand what Evernote is supposed to be all about, and I want to start doing things with it to get familiar with its features and abilities. One thing I thought about doing would be creating a list (a to-do list, or a list of items to purchase or load into a vehicle for business) on a computer and then load onto a smartphone or tablet so it will be easy to type in at home and then easy to carry with me.

A few questions now:

• What do you use Evernote for, and how useful is it for you?
    • In the "list" scenario I described above, will my mobile device have to be in constant contact with the internet in order to access the list, or will it load into the smartphone or tablet and then remain there regardless of whether I'm connected? (Lots of cellular "dead areas" around here)
    • I have Evernote installed on a Mac and on an iPad. What about Android phones?
    • How useful has cross-device Evernote usage been for you? (Like composing a "note" on a computer, then accessing the note on a tablet or smartphone.)
    • I see on Evernote's YouTube channel that there are tutorials and testimonials. Have you ever used these videos to learn more? How useful were they?
    • On Evernote's YouTube channel, there is a mention of using Evernote for presentations. Are they talking about making slideshows in Evernote? Can a skeleton for a slideshow be quickly composed in Evernote and then imported into Apple's Keynote or Microsoft's Powerpoint? Have you done this? Or are they talking about something else?

Thanks in advance!
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've used Evernote on and off for a number of years, but not professionally. It crosses platforms. I primarily use it on my Note 4 (android) phone. I have a variety of tablets it's on, including ipad. I don't have a computer. If you haven't paid for the premium version (annual fee), I recommend doing so because you will have offline ability to info you designate offline. I keep notebooks for quotes, med lists for my mom, etc. A woman on YouTube, Carrie Harling, has a YouTube channel, primarily on travelers notebooks, but also some on Evernote. Because I use it for personal use, I've not learned all of the features, but I do like being able to save things into it. Because the S-note app on my phone saves to Evernote, I have all kinds of odds and ends in it - grocery lists, for example. There are some ebooks on Evernote as well.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. What happened to everyone's posts?

We had quite an active thread here, and now everything has disappeared.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just seen my post disappear from another thread. Something must be up with the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night when I tried to log on, I got a message that the Forum was unavailable...I wonder if the disappearance is related to that??? In any case, sad to see the other posts are gone. :-(
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Forum took some kind of hit last night for sure.
    Many posts are gone and the whole thing was down for hours,I hope all is OK overall?

The Database got borked at the very least.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering what was up. I tried to get on several times yesterday. Finally, at around 10:30 last night I was able to get on but I noticed there were no updates at all. Very weird. Hope all is okay!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shame! But anyway, @MtnMan, most of your questions can be answered by trying out Evernote for yourself. Download the app and use it at the basic level. It is free, so you have nothing to lose.
    If you like it, examine the features of the different plans here. It sounds like you need offline notes and that can be obtained with the Plus plan, $25/year.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of repeating something that might have been posted prior to the disappearance of content, I can speak to what my favorite use of Evernote is - my travel repository. I have created a notebook called "Travel", and within that, a Notebook for each trip I take. I also created a "General Travel Related" notebook to contain info such as hotel rewards account info, rental car account info, train station diagrams, airport info, etc. (all the stuff I can never remember!).

As an example, this morning I set up two notebooks under Travel - one for a trip I'm taking to Ft. Lauderdale to see family next January, and one for an upcoming work trip. I called the first one "Ft. Lauderdale Jan 2016". I then forwarded the confirmation emails for my rental car and flights to Evernote, and put them in this notebook. I also tagged each entry with "flight", "car", "rental", and "2016". I also created a note called "Packing List" and started a checklist of items I'll need specific to this trip (I copied the clothing checklist from a previous Florida trip). To this, I added a note with a list of local restaurants we want to try (complete with links to their websites).

I did the same thing for a work trip I have in March of next year. Having a Premium account has been hugely helpful, especially when I'm on a plane and want to look at my notes. I just looked at my account and counted over 100 trips in my Travel notebook alone (this includes weekend getaways as well)!

One of my other favorite uses is to forward all email receipts for things I've purchased into a notebook called "Purchases" (I know, original...). This is particularly useful for things like concert tickets, where you might not actually get a paper ticket sent to you.

The bottom line is that it doesn't cost anything to try it out, so go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

**EDIT** I forgot to add that I use Evernote on my personal iPhone and MacBook Air, as well as on my Android work phone, and in the web at work. Never had any sync issues, it all works seamlessly!
    Last edited by nukediver; 11-21-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    Eat well, travel often.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And one thing that disappeared is the YouTube Link to Carie Harling's Evernote series. My post above (didn't disappear!) referred to it and someone later put the link here.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    What a shame! But anyway, @MtnMan, most of your questions can be answered by trying out Evernote for yourself. Download the app and use it at the basic level. It is free, so you have nothing to lose.
    If you like it, examine the features of the different plans here. It sounds like you need offline notes and that can be obtained with the Plus plan, $25/year.
    I'm already trying it out. Way ahead of ya! Smilie

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using evernote since 2009 and the majority of the time as a paying customer. I use it on my phone, tablet and computer and it's not uncommon for me to refer to notes created on one device from another. Here are a few common use cases for me.

- I travel a lot for business and take pictures of my receipts via the document photo/scanner option. Any receipts I get via email also get forwarded to evernote. When I submit my expenses, evernote has all the receipts I need now.

- scan copies of important documents (insurance cards, auto registration, etc) or pics of important things you need to remember like license plates. Use a tag like !important or put them in a folder called documents and set that folder for offline sync

- jot down quick notes notes or ideas on my phone and flesh them out or categorize them from my computer

A few general comments on evernote based on my experiences with it. I see evernote's biggest plus being in its ability to create, collect, store, categorize and find content. There are better apps for taking just notes, managing receipts, storing bookmarks or searching file contents but evernote is the one tool that can do them all. It gives me one place to store product manuals, screenshots from Web meetings, ppts, word documents, notes from planning sessions, bookmarked websites, travel and reward account numbers, etc and more importantly, one place to search and find this info. There are a few things I don't do in evernote. I use Google keep for checklists usually as I like the checklist type note vs how evernote does checklists. I also use Google keep for some very commonly used info I need handy. Part of this reason is simply because I have very few notes in keep so anything there is super quick to find.

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marytattoo, That was my post...for anyone who might be interested, these are the links to the first 2 episodes of Carie Harling's Evernote Series:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEQ3Y0x91s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWutt-an2R4

:-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Carie Harling has some very interesting insights on organizing, planners and technology. I hope her blogging is useful way for her to make money and create positive energy for her, her family and her following. Just a very general skim of some of her work was quite fascinating.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Evernote for many years, mostly as a paying customer. Although you can create notes and to do lists in Evernote, I rarely use it that way. It really is my "junk drawer." But I mean that in a positive way. I scan receipts and other documents. I add PDFs, images and all sorts of clippings from the web. The real power is in search. Things are very easy to find because the search is so powerful.

But it is easier to get things in than to get them out. Notes are in Rich Text and may not look right in non-Evernote software.

I also don't particularly like the aesthetics of the app but that may just be me.

I keep using it because I can quickly find whatever I put in even without a filing system.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast