Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Houston, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I just had a look at this out of curiosity as I find such good non-Tb products through these forums. However my first reaction was "wow, that is an incredibly unflattering skirt!" and that is on the website model.
    I bought one and thought exactly this when I tried it on. It's an enormous amount of heavy fabric! The concept is neat, but it's long and voluminous and tent-like. Needless to say, I didn't keep it.

I like traveling in skirts - when we are in Asia I usually take a handful of cheap Indian cotton skirts - I think this skirt would be better in a lightweight fabric and much shorter length. Maybe I'll try the slim version some day.

On a similar but totally different note, the Eddie Bauer 7-way cardigan is awesome for travel.
    “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

Forum Member
    Katy, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these skirts in the slim version. I've worn them everywhere-- from day long heavy duty touring to dinner at nice restaurants. The slight sheen of the fabric allows them to be dressed up as needed. And they wash in the sink and drip dry over night.

Despite some of the comments, I think they can be styled very well-- I wear them with a slightly fitted top to balance the fuller skirt (which I would do with any full skirt) and cute shoes. I wear all black, so I have a great blank canvas for fun jewelry, scarves and the like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try the Kameleon skirt. Same versatility, less bulk.

Kameleon Rose | The ultimate travel dress

Forum Member
    Katy, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    You might try the Kameleon skirt. Same versatility, less bulk.

Kameleon Rose | The ultimate travel dress
    So this is just my opinion (because this is all about personal taste, in the end)...

I really dislike the multiple travel dress/skirt things. I don't think they look good either way on me -- they always end up looking odd and awkward. Kind of like they aren't any one thing and so don't do anything well. And I like a very long skirt, so they're usually not long enough, either.

My slimmed down skirt of choice is made by LOFT 415, which you can find on Etsy. Great price, great quality, made in the USA. But it's jersey, so it doesn't drip dry as quickly and it isn't as sturdy as the Macabi. Life is all about tradeoffs....
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
    I love these skirts in the slim version. I've worn them everywhere-- from day long heavy duty touring to dinner at nice restaurants. The slight sheen of the fabric allows them to be dressed up as needed. And they wash in the sink and drip dry over night.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I feel the same way, the slim version is especially great for styling. I wore mine to the opera! I had a light sweater on top of a black slim skirt, and a dramatic red scarf, it looked great.
    So much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess given the wonderful diversity in women's body shapes, sizes and configurations, not to mention personal style and modesty, it is not surprise we all like different styles. I know I would look and feel awful wearing a macabi skirt!

I love that so many glowing reviews of the macabi skirts co-exist in this thread with recommendations for other companies/styles, all in a friendly way. Such a nice break from other aspects of the internet.

(Although personally I am trying to avoid clicking on "the TB equivalent in X" links before I discover more amazingly well-made and designed products that don't convert well in Australian dollars.)

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an old thread, but does anyone have one of the knee length macabi skirts? And are there annual sales from this company? Would like to try out a slim regular and and knee length, but would love it even more on sale!

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a Slim Skirt in the recent sale, I thought it would be a nice option to have in Southeast Asia during the wet season next year. I ordered the Midnight Blue. Unfortunately the skirt arrived and the sizing was off. I contacted customer service and they’re going to fix me up with a new skirt, but they only have the Original Skirt in the right Size in Midnight Blue. But I think I prefer to stick with the slim style, it’s already a lot of fabric... So if I want a slim one I need to get another color.

My question is, has anyone pictures or experience with the charcoal, maroon and black skirts? Those are the only colors I can see myself wearing. But I’m not sure how accurate the website colors are, the Midnight Blue also looks more petrol on the screen than it does in real life. I suspect black might be too hot. I like the Charcoal in the picture, but in my experience grey can be sometimes difficult to pair in my wardrobe. It has to be just right. As for the Maroon - I have a lot of Aubergine bags and my trekking backpack is aubergine/red too. Those colors might clash badly. Any advice?

Macabi Skirt on Sale Today Only-490f6bcc-cd1d-4f6e-b333-0b9068825d37-jpeg
    Last edited by b1gsky; 12-13-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added picture

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the maroon skirt and I love the color. I will try to upload a picture of it alongside aubergine. I'll let you decide how you feel about the two together. They don't quite go together but I don't think it looks horrible either.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macabi Skirt on Sale Today Only-image0-jpeg
    Here is an aubergine pouch on the maroon skirt.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much! I'm actually getting the Charcoal now. I said black, charcoal and maroon were options and it seems the Charcoal is available in the right sizing. I would be happy about real life pictures of maroon all the same, I think the color looks great on the website. Maybe I'll get it if I ever decide to buy a second one and they have the size I want. Fingers crossed that the Charcoal works out. The Midnight Blue skirt definitely showed the potential. I did like the length I picked, the short was a good midi length, generously covering my knees but not too long (I'm 5'3").

ETA
    Thanks for the pic! It's definitely more red than I thought it would be. But a lovely color all the same. I do think it clashes with the Aubergine though.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charcoal is probably really nice. I think it would look better with your backpack than the maroon.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have their Charcoal, Maroon, and Midnight Blue (as well as a couple of other colors, but no black). I like all three of those colors, but to me the Maroon does clash with Aubergine!

I find the Charcoal hard to pair with other grays; in some light it seems to have a little bit of lavender in it. So generally if I want to wear a gray shirt I don't wear the Charcoal skirt with it. I usually pair the Charcoal skirt with blue or burgundy shirts.

@bigsky, that is an adorable cat curled up beside your backpack!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I have their Charcoal, Maroon, and Midnight Blue (as well as a couple of other colors, but no black). I like all three of those colors, but to me the Maroon does clash with Aubergine!

I find the Charcoal hard to pair with other grays; in some light it seems to have a little bit of lavender in it. So generally if I want to wear a gray shirt I don't wear the Charcoal skirt with it. I usually pair the Charcoal skirt with blue or burgundy shirts.

@bigsky, that is an adorable cat curled up beside your backpack!
    Thanks! I love my Aubergine bags, I definitely want my travel clothes to work alright with them. The Midnight Blue was nice, too bad the skirt didn’t fit. I don’t have a lot of grey items in my wardrobe (and no grey bags), so I think the Charcoal should be fine.

The cat is Minnie, our family cat (living at my parent’s place). She’s a great cat, although a bit timid and she doesn’t like strangers. But she loves us and is very agreeable. She doesn’t scratch at all and is quite well-mannered. We got her from the local shelter when she was a kitten (together with one of her sisters who unfortunately died young).

Macabi Skirt on Sale Today Only-f6d72767-2617-4bcb-8b1b-2ea316bfecad-jpeg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5