Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macabi Skirt on Sale Today Only

Macabi skirts are on sale--today only...

Question: Has anyone purchased a slim skirt? If so, how does the fit compare? I know the measurements are different, just wondering how it rides on/below the waist...Thanks!
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post

Question: Has anyone purchased a slim skirt? If so, how does the fit compare? I know the measurements are different, just wondering how it rides on/below the waist...Thanks!
    @Grandcache, Maybe @Mausermama can post some comments here? I know she got one of these (and liked the slim skirt version) from her posts on Ravelry.

moriond

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a look at this out of curiosity as I find such good non-Tb products through these forums. However my first reaction was "wow, that is an incredibly unflattering skirt!" and that is on the website model.

I also don't get the convenience of it because it seems that one really lightweight longer skirt and another shorter one would not weigh (much) more than this. I know weight is a factor but this looks heavy.

I'm not posting that to be mean about someone's design but because I am curious about the appeal. Does it look better in real life? Does it offer more than it appears to on the site?

Just wondering as I normally love this type of nifty travel designed stuff.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I just had a look at this out of curiosity as I find such good non-Tb products through these forums. However my first reaction was "wow, that is an incredibly unflattering skirt!" and that is on the website model.

I also don't get the convenience of it because it seems that one really lightweight longer skirt and another shorter one would not weigh (much) more than this. I know weight is a factor but this looks heavy.

I'm not posting that to be mean about someone's design but because I am curious about the appeal. Does it look better in real life? Does it offer more than it appears to on the site?

Just wondering as I normally love this type of nifty travel designed stuff.
    There's been a considerable discussion about this skirt over on Ravelry under travel clothing. I don't have this skirt, but the consensus seems to be that lots of people like this for the comfort value, especially in places with tropical climates, and also where you might want protection from insect bites, too. But it seems popular for just at-home use. With regard to the new slim design, which @Mausermama posted about 3 weeks ago, she said, upon receiving her order (hope this is OK to quote):

I immediately tried it on, and it fits me even better than the original skirt does. For the record, I ordered a size Medium/Regular length. I think it fits better because the sizing is very slightly different. Here’s a screen shot of the differences…

The slightly more generous sizing on the “smaller” end in the Medium made a big difference for me in the feel of the skirt sitting slightly below my waistline.…

It addressed the one slight misgiving I had about it, which is that it was too full in the waist and made me look larger than I actually am (not that I cared enough to not wear it). I’m fully satisfied and will order more when I have the funds. Maybe a charcoal one for Christmas…
    I really hope someone from those discussion threads comments here!

moriond

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I have 2 of the original skirts and love them. They are really comfortable and dry quickly. The pockets are amazing. I have occasionally appreciated the convenience of being able to convert them into shorts/pants.

The only somewhat "con" for me is the amount of fullness at the waist. I am intrigued by the "slim", but I don't think I would like wearing the skirt low on my hips like the models appear to be doing. Would love to see comparison shots of someone, preferably with a "curvy full figure" wearing the original and the slim. Thanks? :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several of the original cut skirts. I bought them for my travel to Haiti this past June. When I returned last week, I packed Macabi skirts exclusively for my bottoms. I wear them most days here at home as my mom "uniform". They are super comfortable, the pockets are amazing, and I get tons of compliments on them. People have stopped me and asked where I got my skirt on average once or twice a month.
    I wear size 6-8 in ladies clothing, if buying s,m,l clothing I tend to choose size medium. The Medium Macabi skirt was too full. I am much more comfortable in the small. I am interested in trying the slim. I believe I will love the fit even more.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post

I have three of the traditionally sized skirts and one slim skirt. From here on out, I expect to only purchase the slim skirts, I love them that much!

I have found the slim skirt to fit me better overall because there is a more generous sizing for the medium in the waist. Here is a photo of the sizing differences, if it helps...
    Macabi Skirt on Sale Today Only-macabi-sizing-jpg

The skirt still provides every bit of mobility that I desire, yet it feels less bulky and more streamlined. The comfort is still there. The pockets remain awesome. Hopefully this will help you a little bit.

Yes, you could say the skirts aren't fashionable. Truthfully, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself fashionable either. I tend to not wear makeup, preferring to stay more natural in my appearance. I can honestly say, though, that I've received many compliments on the skirt. I feel attractive in it, and I suppose that's really all that matters.
    Last edited by Mausermama; 11-27-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the head's up! I've been thinking about these skirts and with the 30% discount it seemed line a good time to give them a try!

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Macabi's. There is also considerable discussion about them at caminodesantiago.me

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for good sales! I got a slim short Charcoal one in XS. They frankly look out of place over here, but since I've never been one to care about how 'normal' I look outside of work I thought I would give them a try. I hate how my regular trousers get wet when it rains here, so this may be my ticket for those days (if I switch to trousers mode). And the really hot ones too.

(I am NOT a skirt or dress person so I hope this works out. It just looks so practical.)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 11-28-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never heard of these skirts, but they are an interesting concept - the only skirts I have ever hiked in were running skirts when it is extremely hot, but these are much more modest and have more travel potential. When I was hiking the Wonderland Trail in Washington last year, I met some Mennonite women in traditional garb wearing long skirts, and we had some fascinating conversations comparing ultralight gear (other than clothing). I would be really interested in seeing some real life photos of the Macabi slim skirt model to see if it is really more streamlined looking.

While less modest than the Macabi skirts, I am strongly considering ordering one of these hiking skirts made in Oregon: Skirts ? Purple Rain Adventure Skirts These are 10% off right now for small business Saturday.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 11-28-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I had never heard of these skirts, but they are an interesting concept - the only skirts I have ever hiked in were running skirts when it is extremely hot, but these are much more modest and have more travel potential. When I was hiking the Wonderland Trail in Washington last year, I met some Mennonite women in traditional garb wearing long skirts, and we had some fascinating conversations comparing ultralight gear (other than clothing). I would be really interested in seeing some real life photos of the Macabi slim skirt model to see if it is really more streamlined looking.

While less modest than the Macabi skirts, I am strongly considering ordering one of these hiking skirts made in Oregon: Skirts ? Purple Rain Adventure Skirts These are 10% off right now for small business Saturday.

Ooh! I love that Olive skirt! Thanks for sharing the link!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation. The pockets sound amazing. I' not attracted to the look but think it looks great on the men on the site. Definitely sounds like a Tom Bihnesque type product! Love the forums for these introductions to new items!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiking in skirts is so liberating! I love how cool it keeps you. Lots of air flow. I am a total convert now.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post

OOh, I love them. Great colours and look so comfortable!

I have a knee length bamboo skirt that is similar shape, with same waistband, except slightly fuller and without pockets... so I guess not so similar. But it is great for any activity (or non-activity) in hot weather. It is so much cooler than other fabrics.

Unfortunately bamboo is not so durable as other fabrics so after a year of solid use (eg a nighty) it starts to stretch. However for the comfort of the fabric, it is great, and for an item that is not worn daily, it lasts quite well. I can't remember the brand but it came from US. Found it - Short BambooDreams® Skirt - Women's Bamboo Dreams® Skirt - Yala Designs - and they come in patterned fabric now too. Not what I needed to discover when I have budgeted for tomorrow's Tom Bihn release!

I love bushwalking in a skirt which I discovered by accident as once I left the US, I didn't buy shorts anymore (as they are less common for grownup women in Australia) and then didn't have any when I went walking.
    Last edited by Kirri; 11-29-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast