Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presentation Connection Issues

This past spring, my family purchased an AppleTV box direct from Apple. It was the latest generation before the new voice-controlled version came out.

By and large, my family's experiences with the AppleTV have been satisfactory. However, I'm posting this today because of a recent problem.

The AppleTV usually remains plugged-to my family's HDTV set via HDMI. Occasionally, I use an iPad Mini (2013 model, refurb) to play some video (via AirPlay) that was shot with the iPad. They also play certain streaming videos (mostly YouTube) from a late-model MacBook Pro with Retina Display. While it is set up in the family home, the AppleTV seems to work reliably. The option to use AirPlay appears in the menu bar on the laptop and also in the slide-up menu on the iPad with no difficulty.

On Thanksgiving Day, I accompanied my family to a dinner with relatives who live many miles away. My family brought along their laptop and I brought the iPad. I plugged the AppleTV into the relatives' HDTV via HDMI and played video off of the iPad. It took a couple of tries to get the iPad to recognize there was an AppleTV in the room (about 2 yards away), but once there two devices had their handshake, it worked flawlessly.

Then we brought out the MacBook Pro. It was a different story. The whole time we were there, the AirPlay icon never appeared on the laptop's menu bar. We tried using the iPad again, and the iPad and AppleTV recognized each other immediately and we had the iPad video on the TV screen immediately. We disengaged the AirPlay and the TV went black. We restarted the AppleTV and the laptop, but no AirPlay icon. After playing around with the laptop for quite a while, we were forced to give up. We could not get any kind of AirPlay communication between the laptop and the AppleTV.

This is bizarre and frustrating. We have no idea what went wrong. It would have been easier to bring along the necessary cables and adaptors to plug the laptop directly into the TV. Why did this happen?

HARDWARE:
    AppleTV (pre-voice command version)
    brand-new high-quality HDMI cable from Monoprice
    iPad Mini (2013 version, currently running iOS 9.1)
    MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 13", Core i5 2.4, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB

Added note: I am also thinking about buying an additional Apple Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt)-to-HDMI adaptor, so that the MacBook Pro could connect to an HDTV directly by wire. I looked up adaptors, but the ones I found on Amazon seemed to come from brands I never heard of before, and at least a couple of those adaptors had no Amazon customer reviews. I checked out Monoprice and they want to sell whole cables. I already have a long cable. There were some really neat looking multi-purpose adaptors that offered multiple ports (HDMI, DVI, VGA) but they were weird brands I never heard of and that tends to scare me off.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't mention anything about the NETWORK connections at your relatives house?

Your IOS devices can connect to the Apple TV peer to peer without needing to be on a network together at all but the Macbook can not.

I think if you make sure each device is on the network at the house then it will work?
    You can also bring an Airport Express with you to make sure this can happen regardless of the network where you are visiting by supplying your own network.

This is just my guess off the top of my head.

If I am misunderstanding your setup I apologize.

This might help clarify what I am saying.

How to stream from a Mac to an Apple TV with no Wi-Fi | iMore
    Last edited by AVService; 11-28-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The relatives' house has its own WiFi setup; there's a "guest network" and well as a secure network. The relatives will freely admit they are technologically illiterate and has another relative set up the WiFi for them. I did not check to see if I logged-in with the MacBook Pro; so that must be the culprit. I posted this concern elsewhere, and I received several other plausible suggestions as well. The relatives' home is right on the main highway of this village, and a 34.5-kilovolt main trunk power line passes right in front of the house (right in front of the living room). There is a tight concentration of houses, each with their own WiFi, right around them in this village.

Your suggestion makes the most sense, though. Do late-model Apple laptops running MacOS 10.11 also need to be logged-into a WiFi LAN in order to use an AppleTV?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macbooks are supposed to be able to connect peer to peer like the ios devices since 10.10 I think but to say it is unreliable would be an understatement.
    My guess is that the Ipad and apple TV were never on the network in the house at all?
    Then they can talk to each other via this peer to peer ability but the macbook was in the dark with this.
    If you make sure all three are on the same network in the house I will bet they would all work as you want them to.

Like I said when I am doing a gig with these devices mixed in one system I always supply a dedicated wifi network just for my stuff and then I don't have to know anyones passwords or rely on the hardware they have being robust enough to do what I need it to.
    Luckily the Apple wifi hardware is excellent and that is what I carry and also I can administer it with an iPhone which is handy int he field too.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I'm not sure if the iPad was; if it was on the relatives' WiFi, it wasn't doing anything.

The AppleTV was never set up for there at all. This is the first time the AppleTV was ever taken there.

The MacBook Pro has been logged on there before, but I don't know if it was this time.