Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Android Phone Questions

I live and work in a very rural, hilly area where cellular service is spotty at best. Monthly subscription-fee-based cellphones from national carriers like Verizon Wireless and AT&T are available, but in my company's opinion (and mine personally), they are not worth the $40 (or more) per month for their subscription cellphone plans. Instead, we rely on pay-as-you-go, minutes-based phones from Tracfone. Buying minutes and keeping them active costs only $23 every 3 months. Larger minutes packages can also be purchased.

Over a year ago, we used to have nothing but dirt-cheap throw-away "dumb" cellphones (Motorola V170, locked into Tracfone), but we replaced one of the old dumb-phones with a QVC deal on an LG L39C smartphone. (Android Tracfone) It may seem old and hilariously backward to some here, but this LG was our bargain-discount introduction to Android. We don't use the LG for much; light phone traffic, occasional text and e-mail, using Google Maps for turn-by-turn navigation, and maybe as a calculator or an occasional web browser. That's about it. (The LG uses Android OS 4.1.2)

I will be starting a different job soon, and it will likely require me to use my own (separate) smartphone. I may be doing quite a bit of cloud-based work on an iPad at the new job, and the iPad would have WiFi-only, so the smartphone would need to occasionally act as a WiFi hotspot. Currently, I'm still using another ancient Motorola V170 dumb-phone as my personal cell. I'm looking at getting a newer, more current Android, unlocked, and logging onto to Tracfone through their "B.Y.O.P." (Bring Your Own Phone) sim-card installation program.

Then there's QVC again...

For anyone who doesn't pay attention to cable/satellite TV shopping channels, QVC loves to market old smartphones. QVC is offering an interesting deal on a Motorola Moto E Tracfone (with 1,200 minutes and other goodies) right now. But how old is this phone? Is it already "ancient" and unable to accept newer Android OS software? Can anyone tell me what generation of Moto E this QVC deal is?

Motorola actually sells some of its Moto smartphones, unlocked, through a direct web sales channel. This gives me some limited insight into what's available. Better deals on those same phones can be found on Amazon.

Comments are welcome, especially if you are familiar with Android smartphones.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MtnMan I'm not familiar with this particular phone but, it's really an "older generation". 3G Service is much slower than the standard 4G. My last 2 phones (android) have had 4G unless I was in spotty areas. A couple weeks ago I was in someone's basement and the service went to 3G. It took a long time to get the data through. (I'm not ignoring the irony of thinking 3G is slow when only a few years ago it was standard!). Also, 1G of RAM is very old. Until Saturday I owned a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it had 3G of RAM and that was was really fast and strong. I upgraded to an LG V10 after being a die-hard Samsung enthusiast. This phone (and many newer phones) has 4G and is lightning-fast. Finally, the operating system is generations old. 4.1 vs my 5.1.1.

I personally wouldn't buy it. However, my phone is used more than any tablet. I buy a large phone because I do 99% of my web searching on it, play the few games I play on it, banking, camera, email, calendar, social media, shopping, gps, etc. I don't own a computer, only tablets (including an iPad mini). I have 3G of data per month (I average .5 G since I'm in WiFi areas most of the time) and unlimited calling/texting. I generally do more texting than calling because of the privacy factor. If I'm home, I can have a conversation w/o annoying others who are watching tv, or being in a public place (people talking loudly for long periods of time in a public place are ANNOYING]. Texts add up.

So, it comes down, imo, to how you plan to use your phone. It will have a slow connection and isn't strong by current standards. Its operating system is pretty old. But, it's cheap.

HTH.

Mary