Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compensation for damaged luggage

Any comments, @Frank II?

"In a press release, the DOT handed down notice to airlines operating in American skies, noting they will soon be obligated to compensate passengers for any luggage damage that takes place while bags are under their care.

Under the new regulations, airlines carrying flyers’ checked luggage would be responsible for any damage that takes place to the bags outside of normal wear-and-tear, including damage to wheels, handles, straps and zippers. Previously, these items were not covered under many airlines’ policies. Furthermore, airlines will be obligated to accept all reports of luggage damage even if the airline does not believe they are at fault."

I always take a photo of my checked bags just prior to handing it over, for ID purposes. But this may provide a second reason for doing so.

It is easier sometimes to check bags, and this might make me more willing to do so. I wonder what the compensation would be though, and if it would be sufficient to purchase a replacement.

And of course, this may apply only to domestic (U.S.) flights.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-05-2015 at 04:40 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will believe it when I see it.

I always use ATA approved bags if I know I will be checking and they have always been under this type of regulation when those bags are used. I have never had any case completed or been compensated unless they lose them and imagine I never will.

Now I just ship to myself at the destination and rarely have any issues.

Just the nature of the beast and now they are trying to tighten this up?

Just my experience.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are ATA approved bags?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATA Spec 300: Specification for Packaging of Airline Supplies

ATA Spec 300 establishes regulations that ensure effective packaging for supplies and equipment shipped by airlines. It stipulates, for example, that a shipping case be able to withstand a minimum of 100 shipments, have durable recessed handles, be coated with non-corrosive products, and have rounded well constructed edges.[11] There has been an increased use of personal luggage that meets the ATA 300 required standards. The ATA Spec 300 was first published on August 1, 1960.[11]