Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any flower experts here?

I'm trying to ID these flowers that are growing along the sidewalks in my neighborhood. I remember them from our yard growing up, too, so they grow both in Michigan and Wisconsin. They seem to be wild or semi-wild, as they're not in garden beds, just scattered among the grass.

Any ideas?

Any flower experts here?-img_20160411_175325-jpgAny flower experts here?-img_20160411_175331-jpg
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaves are a little wide for this, but maybe prairie blue-eyed grass? It does grow in Wisconsin, not sure about Michigan. We have a similar flower that is a bluet, but it doesn't have as many petals and is not as wide on the blooms.

I was a docent for the Konza Prairie in KS before we moved (something I hope to do again some day.) Most of my wildflower ID books are a little more specific as to region though, so I'm not sure what grows up in Michigan or Wisconsin. You have a few natural prairies there, so that would be a good place to start for ID on wildflowers. (I can't remember if you are in Michigan or Wisconsin.)

Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about flowers but here in Sweden we have a flower that looks like that and my mum calls it Scilla. It can take over a whole lawn and it's beautiful. Siberian squill in english. Can it be that?
    Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."-C.S. Lewis

Toronto, ON Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me to be Scilla siberica, often called Squill or Siberian Squill. It grows up through the grass in the spring and carpets my lawn then dies back until the following year.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also concurring on the scilla- I have it all over my lawn and its lovely.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!! Definitely the scilla/squill. Smilie

They're such a lovely color. But, they are here and gone so quickly in the spring that, while I've always admired and enjoyed them, I never thought to find out the actual name until now.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I shouldn't have responded to this.

This illustrates how different the flowers/wildflowers can be in any given area. Those are not listed in any reference I checked here at home. They're beautiful flowers!

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @prairiegl even if it wasn't quite right, it's still cool to hear about the other possibilities Smilie

and I love anything to do with the natural prairie habitat--it's such a fascinating and sadly disappearing ecosystem in my neck of the woods