Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A card case is a great idea!

Also - if you're still brainstorming - my sister gave me a small Waterford desk clock when I graduated. I still have it on my desk. It's small, maybe only 3-4" high and a few inches wide, but I think of her every time I fill out a timesheet.
    EDC: SCB/MCB, Swift for knitting, small shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: kiwi, verde, nordic & black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet, ursa
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fountain pen idea was intended only for dreamily writing at home. But that idea has now been discredited as primarily something I wanted to do and not something that she would have time to do even if she wanted to.

So...tada...I really think a nice ballpoint (something that looks more professional/special than a uniball) will, indeed, be the gift. Along with the card case which has been suggested by several (including my) attorneys.

Once again I love the willingness of everyone from all parts of the world to help! It'll make a great story when I give her the gifts.

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    A card case is a great idea!

Also - if you're still brainstorming - my sister gave me a small Waterford desk clock when I graduated. I still have it on my desk. It's small, maybe only 3-4" high and a few inches wide, but I think of her every time I fill out a timesheet.
    Our posts crossed. Yeah another vote for a card case! But dang another suggestion for a clock. I was ready to purchase a Tiffany one (thanks again for that idea Kaz) but it was sold out. Well, just a peak at Waterford couldn't hurt.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a desk object which is mostly ornamental but has some use, perhaps consider also something like an engraved lead crystal paperweight or paper knife ?

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be difficult to choose a gift that you want to be special, meaningful, and useful. Whatever you ultimately choose will remind her that you love her, and that's more important than any client or job. Congrats to her and best wishes for a long & satisfying career. Just remind her the first five years are awful, after that it gets better Smilie
    EDC: SCB/MCB, Swift for knitting, small shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: kiwi, verde, nordic & black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet, ursa
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be difficult to choose a gift that you want to be special, meaningful, and useful. Whatever you ultimately choose will remind her that you love her, and that's more important than any client or job. Congrats to her and best wishes for a long & satisfying career. Just remind her the first five years are awful, after that it gets better Smilie
    Perfectly said Smilie. A reminder like that sure can go a long way on a tough day.

In addition to useful objects for her work space, something purely decorative might also be nice--a framed photo or water-colour for the wall (if she'll have an office of her own), a small sculpture for her desk.

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have your heart set on a fountain pen, go for it! But as a practicing attorney for 25 years, I would have preferred to receive a nice quality ballpoint. A gel pen is OK for some, but my hands get hot and they make the gel ink run, so I've always stuck with black ballpen.

Upon graduation, I tried using a fountain pen and it was totally impractical. We bill in 6-minute increments. I don't have the time to sit there and wait for my signature to dry so I can make copies. I also don't want to worry about a pen leaking in my expensive briefcase.

Also, when you're running around in the courthouse, signing multiple copies of documents while leaning on whatever is handy, fountain pen just smears. Also, clients will often ask to borrow your pen. I would never let someone else write with my fountain pen, but I'll loan a ballpoint.

Two other things I would have used - a high quality portfolio (the kind that holds a letter-size yellow legal pad on one side and has slots on the other side for loose papers - skip the bulky ones with calculators, just a nice slim padholder that looks elegant), or a zip-type portfolio that I could use on days that I don't need my entire briefcase, but only 1" or so of a file (settlement conferences, for example).
    Speaking of folios, Levenger does have some really nice ones, and they're all very well made of real leather. They also have briefolios, which are zippered leather cases that can hold a notepad, pens, and papers. Maybe even an iPad. You could shop there for a pen and have it engraved, in a one stop shop.

As a personal opinion, I've never been comfortable with the classic, thin Cross pens. I've had a couple and found them to be uncomfortable for long-term writing. Just too thin. Make my hands cramp. I think a medium width pen would be more comfortable. Since I don't like ballpens, although I concede they may be a practical choice, I suggest looking at rollerball pens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too like Levenger. and I agree about Cross. very uncomfortable.

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also received a small Waterford clock for graduation, and it has been a very nice addition in various offices. A portable or desk business card holder is handy too. While I received various nice pens, I did not tend to use them, as I really just wanted simple pens that I would not mind losing. While it may be less personal, I remember one relative gave me a check, and as a starving student entering the work force, I have never forgotten how helpful that was. I am sure she will be grateful for your thoughtfulness whatever you decide.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I decided to do: procrastinate! ;-)

I decided to split the gift. First, for graduation, I'm going to give her a non-job related bar examination survival kit which will include meal delivery and a couple of massages.

Then, after she passes the California bar Smilie, I'll give her a couple of other more grown up, possibly work-related items depending on where she decides to work. Right now I'm leaning towards a Levenger or Mulberry card case and a nicer (but not too nice) ballpoint pen (leaning to a black Lamy 2000). Maybe the Levenger folio instead but that will depend on the type of firm. Also this might give Tiffanys enough time to restock that clock. It also saves me from trying to fit a gift to a lifestyle that doesn't exist yet.

And, most importantly, I'm taking all your advice and including a card that expresses how much I love her and how proud I am.

So, once again, thanks to everyone, I think I hit a compromise that suits all *my* requirements anyway!

NoVA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montblanc pens are my recommendation. Whether you pick rollerball, ballpoint, felt tip or fountain; they are classic and instantly recognizable.
    I own 5 in different configurations and enjoy them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3