Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journal and pen for new law school graduate?

I think all the various threads about writing instruments have gotten to me!

My niece is graduating from law school and I want to get her a personal, tactile gift. Maybe an heirloom artisanal journal and a nice writing pen? I can hear a thousand voices shouting FJN! Wink But I was thinking of something even more hand made looking and less, well, functional, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any suggestions for journal makers they've ordered from or journals they've lusted after?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when my niece graduated from college I bought her a Pelikan fountain pen. Pelikan makes a classy fountain pen. In terms of journals have you considered Travelers Notebooks? there has been a lot of conversation here on them (often under the name Midori, the original TN [Traveler's Notebook]. Etsy has MANY vendors. One I really love is Naked Cow. it will last forever. another is The Sojourner, a TN made by a woman in California. Her website is www.sojournerusa.net. Joey at Naked Cow is in Taiwan, but is an American and was in the US military. you would be supporting small businesses.

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a journal person myself but I LOVE Oberon Designs. All of their items are handmade in California and are simply gorgeous. They are another American company with outstanding customer service like TB. I have a pile of their Kindle/iPad/iPhone covers, couple of their journals, and an assortment of card cases, journals, and jewelry. I almost bought one of their bags but that was when I found TB and you can all guess what happened there Smilie

Leather Journal Covers | iPad, Kindle and iPhone Cases | Jewelry
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Oberon as well. beautiful tooling. (heavy though).

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see I'm going to have way too much fun looking at these. Thank you both for your quick replies!

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    I've used Oberon as well. beautiful tooling. (heavy though).
    Yes they are Frown It's my one complaint and the reason I mostly use them for at home/desk type things not a carry in your purse item but if someone wants heirloom quality they definitely fit the bill. And are oh so beautiful.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love fountain pens, but they’re not for everyone or practical in all situations. You may want to look at a nice ballpoint which will accept gel refills. This might be more practical, easier to use and cheaper to refill. Since you didn’t mention a price range I hesitate to recommend specific models/brands. A visit to a nice pen shop in your area might get you started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    I love fountain pens, but they’re not for everyone or practical in all situations. You may want to look at a nice ballpoint which will accept gel refills. This might be more practical, easier to use and cheaper to refill. Since you didn’t mention a price range I hesitate to recommend specific models/brands. A visit to a nice pen shop in your area might get you started.
    I agree fountain pens are not for everyone. I disagree on refills. I've used fountain pens for my entire life (I'm 58). it takes FOREVER to use up a bottle of ink!

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This gift is going to be indulgent. That said, I totally agree that it is silly to spend +$200 on a pen that she just looks cross eyed at. But there is a romance to fountain pens. And it is for the journal. And neither are practical. So I've been eyeing pens that use cartridges...maybe retractable. But it should be pretty. (I hear a million screaming fountain pen lovers crying out in pain.) Hmm, there are some inexpensive fun pens with colored inks around so maybe....

Anyway, please suggest away. If she'd give me *any* clue what she likes it would make my life easier, but she is notoriously hesitant to ask for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    retractable is definitely the Pilot Vanishing Point. great nib. and, if she doesn't like the nib size you select, the nib in the retractable is attached to the filler - just change like a cartridge. can even buy on Amazon. also Goulet Pens, Jet Pens, and Fahrneys pens. good fountain pens seldom leak any more. the Pilot comes in conservative and funky colors. the best thing is one can buy any color ink imaginable. I have dozens of fountain pens and I match ink to the barrel of the pen; I choose the "pen of the day" by the color ink I want to use. each day's journal entry is in a different color. so, you might want to pick up a "normal" black or blue ink, and then a couple "fun" ink colors.

what I like about Travelers Notebooks is that one can have multiple "subjects" inside (inserts) unlike the old school 3-subject spiral notebook, when an insert is completed, it can be removed/replaced while leaving the uncompleted ones inside. so one can have a personal journal, a calendar, a notebook for lists/quick notes, an art journal, etc. they are customizable, having all of one's interests in one place. Lots of ideas online, Facebook groups, Pinterest, IG...

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mary, the vanishing point was the one I was eyeing. It seemed like a good compromise for someone being introduced to a finer fountain pen. I also liked a non-retractable Edison. So I'm glad to have confirmation that the Pilot is a nice writing pen.

I also took a second look at Oberon. I had one of their covers for my Kindle years ago, but ended up giving it away as it was heavy and a bit slick...but I did like it. Their newer icon covers look very appealing. I also looked at the Travelers and it is surprisingly nice too. Maybe not as magical, but I have to keep reminding myself I'm NOT buying this for myself...rats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought an Edison from Goulet. I think it's Water Lily. I love it! if it's her first FP, the vanishing point "feels" like a ballpoint because of the click, so it might be a good choice. also, inks can also be found on Amazon down the road. (I have Prime). I support small businesses a lot. but, for little online purchases, it makes sense for me to get the free shipping that comes with Prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca1i View Post
    Thanks Mary, the vanishing point was the one I was eyeing. It seemed like a good compromise for someone being introduced to a finer fountain pen. I also liked a non-retractable Edison. So I'm glad to have confirmation that the Pilot is a nice writing pen.

I also took a second look at Oberon. I had one of their covers for my Kindle years ago, but ended up giving it away as it was heavy and a bit slick...but I did like it. Their newer icon covers look very appealing. I also looked at the Travelers and it is surprisingly nice too. Maybe not as magical, but I have to keep reminding myself I'm NOT buying this for myself...rats.
    there are LOTS of travelers notebooks on Etsy. can also look under Fauxdori. midori is a brand name. others took the concept and ran. there are conservative and funky. (try Altguild on Etsy, for example).

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    there are LOTS of travelers notebooks on Etsy. can also look under Fauxdori. midori is a brand name. others took the concept and ran. there are conservative and funky. (try Altguild on Etsy, for example).
    Uh oh...now I get it. Lots of folks make covers for travelers notebooks. I'm in trouble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes - any time anyone needs enabling, let me know. I can rationalize at gold medal levels!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast