Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: SLR lenses

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLR lenses

I received a Canon Digital Rebel a few years ago as a gift, but now it appears one of the lenses, an 18-55 "kit" lens, has gone bad on me. It refuses to auto-focus most of the time. I've heard that these lenses aren't the best quality. For now, I leave my 75-300 telephoto lens attached to my Rebel, and I shoot my wide-angle photos with an iPad Mini. (It fits in my bag with the Rebel)

My eventual plan it to replace the 18-55 "kit" lens with a higher-quality wide-angle lens. I'm entertaining suggestions on that, but that will take big bucks and thus extra time.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if there's a deal I could find on a used or refurbished 18-55 kit lens to serve as a temporary replacement.

Any suggestions on where to find a deal?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually check B&H Photo or Adorama in their Used sections - they are good about looking over the equipment and giving it a rating, so you know a bit more about what you are getting. Their customer service departments are pretty knowledgeable and happy to spend lots of time discussing your choice with you, if you give them a call.

You can also buy an extended warranty for your used gear. There might already be like a three-month, no-questions-asked period baked into the price, I don't recall. But I've been very happy with the items I've gotten from both places. Most recent purchase (from Adorama) was my Fuji X100 which I took on a 9-day trip to Japan as my only camera. It performed flawlessly and I ended up making photo books as gifts for our hosts. Here are a few pictures from that trip.

I also bought my Nikon used from B&H over ten years ago and I still use it regularly (I just wanted to take something smaller on my Japan trip). Real workhorse, that one. I think I may have gotten my 50/1.4 lens from B&H also - I love that lens, if I was limited to only one lens that would probably be it.

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good experience buying a used Canon 85mm 1.8 from KEH.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy used lenses on Fred Miranda's buy and sell forum. If individuals have good feedback, I feel pretty confident, and always pay via PP goods and services. The extra 3% is worth the peace of mind. I've had very good experiences there - I've purchased lenses at $1,000 and also sold camera bodies and lenses worth much more. It's a good group of folks, sort of like this forum.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    I buy used lenses on Fred Miranda's buy and sell forum. If individuals have good feedback, I feel pretty confident, and always pay via PP goods and services. The extra 3% is worth the peace of mind. I've had very good experiences there - I've purchased lenses at $1,000 and also sold camera bodies and lenses worth much more. It's a good group of folks, sort of like this forum.
    Seconded FredMiranda but I will NEVER pay the PP fee and don't know why anyone would?
    The seller has already agreed to PP that they will not charge the Buyer the fee and a gentle suggestion of this is usually all it takes to "Remind" them .

I also use Photo on the Net which has a similar membership but might not be as reliable?
    I also have bought Kit Lens locally at camera stores many times as many people will buy a kit but make a lens upgrade right away and so there are often kit lenses cheap around.
    I think I remember though that you are not near a bigger city so…..?

Also BH Photo and most of the bigger NYC stores have a supply of cheap kit lenses and their lenses are always graded and they have been reliable for me.

I have the Canon 10-22 and it is really nice too!