Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tapatalk

Is anyone else having problems with Tapatalk? last weekend I thought no one was posting. I finally checked the Web and found that to not be the case. the same thing is happening today. I've refreshed, but see no updates since yesterday. I even uninstalled and re-installed the app.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so not a fan of Tapatalk. You do not need to use it on your phone. If you scroll down to the bottom you can see a link to load full website. So, on my phone the forums are the same as on my computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always struggled to find all of the posts on the Web version.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you still having Tapatalk issues, marytattoo (and anyone else?) It's working OK for me, at least now it is!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been good in the past few days. But there have been some bad weeks where the Tapatalk app didn't work on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    I've always struggled to find all of the posts on the Web version.

@marytattoo,
    If you are using the web version of the forums site, you can always try selecting the "Today's posts" option under "Quick Links" at the top of the forums page. You visit this site frequently enough that you should be able to find all the posts this way. In addition, it's easier to run searches in the web version, either using Google or the forum's search facility, than it is using TapaTalk, so even when I use TapaTalk to read these forums, I'll use the web interface to craft better searches.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    It has been good in the past few days. But there have been some bad weeks where the Tapatalk app didn't work on and off.
    Thanks for letting us know. And if/when it acts up again, let me know that as well. Most often issues w/Tapatalk are out of our control, but sometimes we can fix them.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the advantage of using Tapatalk on your phone?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flips712 View Post
    What's the advantage of using Tapatalk on your phone?
    The biggest advantage that I originally found in using Tapatalk was the ease of posting pictures (for which you need to pay extra), and you can choose the size/quality of the uploaded image, much the same way you can for mail attachments. Before the vBulletin web interface for mobile devices was improved, it used to provide a nicer, simplified interface for viewing forums that supported it.

There are some features that are supported in later versions of the Tapatalk app that don't work in correctly on the mobile platform web browsers of some devices (may depend on how recent your device is, and also your operating system and its version). For example, if Darcy or someone else tries to embed a vimeo video in a post, so that it will appear as a fully framed embedded movie that you can click on the controls of to play, that will show up correctly in Tapatalk (unless you have a really, really old version from 4 or 5 years ago, that is also running on an old operating system), whereas that won't show up in many iOS device web browsers. (I'm told that the latest iPads with the latest versions of iOS can display these.) I remember that the first time I came across problems with viewing Vimeo video embedding code was the original post in the Tom Bihn UNBOXED! thread by @cucciasv. (I had to use the "reply with quote" option to view the link in place of the embedded image).

Polls don't show up under TapaTalk (I think that's true of all versions of the TapaTalk and on all platforms).

It's mainly convenient if you frequently visit a number of forums that support this app, because you can have the app remember your logins to these forums and switch between them.

Now, having said that, the disparity in how things are displayed between mobile device web browsers and TapaTalk are not so large now, especially if you use a browser app that emulates desktop or tablet browser behavior. And you can do advanced searches if you work directly in a browser, and that includes of the image attachment gallery. Also, many people hated the Tapatalk upgrade that came at the end of 2014 (again, depends on your platform -- it happened earlier on Android devices). And sometime about a year and a half to two years before that, the TapaTalk app developers started much more intrusive tracking so they could target your browsing demographic information to advertisers (before then, you could use the app without creating a TapaTalk account which you now must log into in order to remember your forums -- with the login, they can better track your activity patterns).

I still use this app, but I stopped upgrading it a while ago because I really don't like the appearance of the current user interface (compared to the earlier one), and I don't like the tracking behavior. Your mileage may vary.

moriond

ETA: Here's a link to the original request thread to enable support for the TapaTalk app. I should add that some bugs that were associated with the forums behavior -- like the inability to add links to URL image addresses as direct attachments, that was in effect for a long time -- were part of problems encountered with supporting the TapaTalk plug-in for the forums. (This last feature now works correctly -- it didn't for a really long time.) Multi-quote not working correctly in replies may also be connected with flakiness in support for the TapaTalk plug-in.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-29-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond

Thank you. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by paying extra for pictures. I have Tapatalk for free, and can upload pictures, also for free.