Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fnding a replacement for GoDaddy

For the better part of ten years, I have been responsible for building, maintaining and uploading simple web-sites for local events. This started when a local business owner offered to upload the sites for me to his GoDaddy account. A few years later, that business owner went out of business, and GoDaddy transferred those web-site assets to a new account in my name. GoDaddy secures the domain names for each web-site for me, and also provides server space so I can upload the sites.

Over the past few years, I've been slowly getting the impression that my pocket is being picked. I use an freeware FTP client (FileZilla, which GoDaddy suggested) to upload the sites to the specific server folders, but most of the time the uploads have problems. Either the uploads are blocked or the revised web-sites simply do not appear. It's also my impression that GoDaddy hits me with all kinds of clever "nickel and dime" nuisance charges. I am slowly loosing my patience with this outfit. I just successfully uploaded a web-site tonight, twice, and I've visited the revised site with multiple web browsers to find that nothing happened.

What kind of package deals can I find for a different firm that can acquire the domain names for my sites, plus provide server space. In other words, how do I shop around?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends a lot on what you're looking for. I'm happy to pay well for a solid service that isn't going to screw me over/domain-slam me, and that's in a jurisdiction with acceptable privacy policy.

For domain name registration I highly recommend Gandi, which is domiciled in France. Domain names and VPS Cloud hosting - Who is Gandi? - Gandi.net I haven't used their site hosting so far -- although I'm considering moving to it -- but I'm very happy with them as a domain registrar (after a hideous experience with one of the large US-based registrars).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of asmallorange.com for hosting. They have very affordable plans for smaller sites and they are much more stable than godaddy. They can register your domains as well, but i like to keep domains seperate from hosting, so you could use the service @Hanaper suggested for the domain names.

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been user hover.com for few years and have no complaints for a registrar.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the Hover recommendation. They have a migration tool that makes it really easy to move registrars. Free WHOIS protection. Coupons for your first purchase are readily available if you search, particularly from podcasts.
    Synapse 25 (black halcyon/uv) [my work EDC]
    Synapse 19 (black dyneema/iberian, black parapack/wasabi, steel dyneema/wasabi)
    Smart Alec (black dyneema/uv)
    Co-Pilot (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Small Cafe Bag (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Aeronaut 30 (aubergine/zest) | Aeronaut 45 (nordic halcyon/northwest sky)
    PCSB (steel, island) | SE (black/wasabi, black dyneema/uv, burnt orange/uv) | TT (uv, zest, fjord)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have many domains registered and use several registrars: enom.com, joker.com, namecheap.com and hoststar.ch. I have had good experiences with all of them and would recommend them without hesitation. For webhosting I have been using pair.com for many years and find them extremely reliable with friendly support and great pricing.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Bluehost for a few years. I switched from GoDaddy.

Whenever I have a problem, Bluehost has always helped me to find out how to fix it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Bluehost and was very pleased with the results. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone switched from GoDaddy to Bluehost? What was the process of switching like?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my domains with Hover for years. Their customer service is awesome, and any issues I've had, they've fixed very quickly.

So that'll sort out your registrar, but as for hosting, it sort of depends on what you're doing. If it's just a static website with no databases or scripting (PHP, Perl, etc.) BlueHost and 1and1 were good for me.