Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap(er) decent quality Field Notes-sized notebook?

Hi all, I'm wondering if there are even cheaper, same-sized alternatives to Field Notes or Doane Paper out there? I toss notebooks in the recycling bin when I'm done with them and don't need fountain-pen friendly paper because I use a ballpoint or pencil (my FPs don't travel in my EDC anymore-- they are heavy). Much as I wish I could carry the FJN with me all the time, not all my EDC bags can accomodate that AND my laptop, so I have resorted to using thin and small stapled notebooks which I can easily stick into my MB FS or S19 FS.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make your own if you just need printer paper stapled together with a cover--you could get cute scrapbook paper for the cover for cheap from a hobby store. Could make them any size you like!

Also, these are cute:
    https://www.amazon.com/International...cket+notebooks
    Last edited by luvdabags; 06-13-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling!

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moleskine makes some small "Volant" style notebooks with decent paper and you still get a pocket at the back. I have some with a Kraft cover that would recycle well.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Moleskine makes some small "Volant" style notebooks with decent paper and you still get a pocket at the back. I have some with a Kraft cover that would recycle well.
    I second @TavaPeak's suggestion of the Moleskine Volant series pocket notebooks. The small size is the same size as the Field Notes notebook. Other features that I like: no staples in center, lies flat when you open it,uniform thickness, last several pages are perforated so it's easy to cleanly detach a sheet if you need to hand a note or memo to someone else. The paper is not fountain pen quality, but is fine for all other uses.

I'll excerpt some pictures and point you to two parent threads:
    Best small organizer to fit passport and papers that is NOT the passport pouch?
    Notebooks - your recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @LeeS,

Here are a few more pictures that show the relative size of the small Double Organizer Pouch, Clear Organizer Wallet (a mini size pouch), passport, and notebooks:

This shows my old passport at the left, a small double organizer pouch in Sapphire Cordura in the center, and an Olive Cordura Clear Organizer Wallet at the right. The passport is the same size as the renewed passport in my first post. You can see that it is too large to fit into the Clear Organizer Wallet at the right, which is holding an extra-small size (6.5 x 10.5 cm/ 2.5" x 4") Moleskine Volant notebook and pen.

Here's a view of the small double organizer pouch beside a stack of the small or pocket size (9 x 14 cm/3.5" x 5.5") Moleskine Volant notebook, Passport, and extra-small size (6.5 x 10.5 cm/ 2.5" x 4") Moleskine Volant notebook and pen. The larger Volant notebook is the same size as the Field Notes Notebook in my earlier post, and is a fairly standard size. It's slightly hard to get these size notebooks into the pocket past the zipper head if the small DOP gets full -- not obvious from the picture, but you have to push down on the notebook to press it against the zipper head to insert it, which is why I recommended using a slightly smaller size notebook, like the extra-small Volant, if you have one.

HTH

moriond
    The first picture shows comparison sizes (Moleskine Small Volant Notebook has same cross-section as the Field Notes notebook). The quoted post shows a navy extra-small Moleskine Volant notebook (can fit into a clear organizer wallet or organizer pouch with a pen), compared with a pink small Moleskine Volant Notebook, with U.S. passport and small double organizer pouch for reference.

HTH

moriond

ETA: You can also choose your Moleskine Volant notebook colors to coordinate with your bags in, say, Azalea and Turquoise, as shown in this picture by @Ms Moon:
    Last edited by moriond; 06-13-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Moleskine Cahier is much closer to Field Notes's standard edition than the Volant. Particularly in the feel of the covers.
    Synapse 25 (black halcyon/uv) [my work EDC]
    Synapse 19 (black dyneema/iberian, black parapack/wasabi, steel dyneema/wasabi)
    Smart Alec (black dyneema/uv)
    Co-Pilot (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Small Cafe Bag (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Aeronaut 30 (aubergine/zest) | Aeronaut 45 (nordic halcyon/northwest sky)
    PCSB (steel, island) | SE (black/wasabi, black dyneema/uv, burnt orange/uv) | TT (uv, zest, fjord)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garrily View Post
    The Moleskine Cahier is much closer to Field Notes's standard edition than the Volant. Particularly in the feel of the covers.
    I agree with that statement, and there's more discussion about those in the Notebooks - your recommendations thread I linked earlier. I happen to prefer the Volant series. It may be just my experience, but I found the paper quality more consistent. By the way, I've been finding it a pain to do multiple cuts, pastes, image copies and coding with the list environment on my iPhone 5 (not on WiFi) unless I hand code the arguments as I type. Trying to insert the link again above gets me tossed out, and using the list environment did the same earlier. So please refer to my original post, and visit the mentioned threads for more details that I don't have to type in by hand!

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Hi all, I'm wondering if there are even cheaper, same-sized alternatives to Field Notes or Doane Paper out there? I toss notebooks in the recycling bin when I'm done with them and don't need fountain-pen friendly paper because I use a ballpoint or pencil (my FPs don't travel in my EDC anymore-- they are heavy). Much as I wish I could carry the FJN with me all the time, not all my EDC bags can accomodate that AND my laptop, so I have resorted to using thin and small stapled notebooks which I can easily stick into my MB FS or S19 FS.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    I realized the Cahiers are only ~$1-2 cheaper than FN when you can find them from a merchant that has them on sale. The list price is the same as FN ($9.95). You may be able to find YoobiMini Journal, 3 Pack - Multicolor | Yoobi 3-packs at Target, which are only $2.99. Way cheaper than either FN or MC and since the paper isn't a concern, you may find them adequate.
    Synapse 25 (black halcyon/uv) [my work EDC]
    Synapse 19 (black dyneema/iberian, black parapack/wasabi, steel dyneema/wasabi)
    Smart Alec (black dyneema/uv)
    Co-Pilot (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Small Cafe Bag (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Aeronaut 30 (aubergine/zest) | Aeronaut 45 (nordic halcyon/northwest sky)
    PCSB (steel, island) | SE (black/wasabi, black dyneema/uv, burnt orange/uv) | TT (uv, zest, fjord)

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, I never thought of stashing a Moleskine in a passport pouch. Another thing to add to the next order...

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Field note sized notebooks are also happy in a size 1 travel stuff sack--in fact they fit with about 4-5 brothers and sisters, or if in a Field Notes sized travelers notebook cover too.
    Cheap(er) decent quality Field Notes-sized notebook?-img_4083-jpgCheap(er) decent quality Field Notes-sized notebook?-img_4084-jpg

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea!

The organizer pouch is a good way to carry travel documents and a notebook. Thanks!

Jetpens sells mini-pens and pencils that would also fit in there. I like fountain pens, so my Ohto Tasche would be a perfect fit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not picky about cover designs, I can recommend the sale section of Scout Books: Sale - Scout Books

I enjoy collecting Field Notes (am seriously tempted by the latest reporter notebook offering) but I end up using Scout Books more often. The dimensions are slightly different and the paper is very good for general pencil and ballpoint writing. The sale section has some fine deals and interesting combinations - I got a set of checklist notebooks there some time ago.

These notebooks are Made in Oregon.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muji has some passport sized notebooks that are like the midori ones for a fraction of the price.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are still looking, bookdepository has the Moleskine Cahier books 59% off now. Free shipping.

Moleskine Ruled Cahier : Moleskine : 9788883704895

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm not too impressed with the book depository website. Yes it's free shipping, but it's been a week and they haven't shipped anything I ordered yet. Not much of a deal if they never ship it to me!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clairefontaine makes a 3.5"x5.5" notebook (1951 Staplebound) that retails at Goulet for $2.95. It's got 48 sheets as compared to the FN's 24, and the paper weight is 90g (so @adalangdon you could use a fp in it if you were at home, say). It's quite a bit thicker and heavier than the FN (obviously) but if you can tolerate the increase in size and weight, it seems like very good value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast